The School Of Self Destruction

Felix - Beasts And Traffic Islands

I have decided that History is currently not helping my...

After several History classes this semester, I have decided that...

No, scratch that.

I don't like History because learning about the merciless slaughter of innocent people makes me incredibly morose.
I suppose that's the point though. If I was happy about it then there would be some serious problems.
Some... other serious problems.

Elizabeth and I are going to cut History today. I'm sick of hearing about people being killed and Elizabeth is just plain bored, she's finished all the work for the next 3 weeks. Even on her own she's still trying to stay ahead of the curve.
Even when she's been put up two years. Sixteen years old and she's probably smarter than I'll ever be.
I do believe I may have peaked too early.

It's pretty easy to cut class at Saint Jude's. The teachers even encourage it sometimes.

Leaning against the big stone gate-posts, I gaze up at the school's main building. First time I came here, the pure size of the thing was intimidating. This place is large enough to house a dining hall, several common rooms for different age groups, classrooms for every subject, and an entire floor of bedrooms and communal bathrooms, for both staff and students. In other words, big. And when you first arrive here, it looks big enough to swallow you whole.

Eli was halfway down the path, coming towards me. She smiled and waved and yelled something that I couldn't quite make out. I pushed myself off the cold stone and started towards her in a half-jog, half-run. Eli dodged out of my trajectory before I could crash into her.

"Careful Feel," she said as she walked beside me. "One day you'll run straight into me, and then where will you be?"

"At the movies already," I said. "You take so long to get ready."

Elizabeth reached up and swatted me on the back of the head. "Maybe if somebody had left my bag where it was, it wouldn't have taken me so long to find it."

I chose to remain silent to this last statement, and save myself from further incrimination."So what have you been up to these last few days Elizabeth?"

"Not much since I've seen you last. Lots of 'private study' though," she sighed. "It's really boring."

At Saint Jude's, 'private study' is code for being kept under observation. Not intense observation, but you have an adult around you during most of the day. It's not so bad. Just really, really boring.

"So," I said. "Seeing as you have no interesting stories to tell me, you get to make something up. Regale me with a story of beasts and traffic islands."

"You're such a loser, Felix."

I put an arm over her shoulder. "I know Eli, I know."

~ ~ ~

There was a long line at the ticket booth. At least a hundred people lining up to buy tickets to see some movie featuring some anorexic looking blonde with fake breasts and some guy with too much fake tan. And they say that women and gay men are to blame for the de-masculinisation of the male species. Personally, I blame the media. It's just easier that way.

Elizabeth and I stood on the path opposite the movies. A car pulled up and deposited four people onto the path, to join the others in line.

"Well this sucks," she said as she slumped to the ground, sitting, effectively, in the gutter. "What do we do now?"

"Uh, well you could get out of the gutter for a start, hobo girl." Elizabeth jokingly whacked me in the leg. "Ah! You got me! I'm dying. Dying...." I held my hand to my heart and began to slip down towards the ground, joining Elizabeth in the gutter.

"Nice one, drama queen," she joked. "So it looks like movies are out. We could go to the mall instead."

"Yeah, I suppose. I think I'd rather just get back though."

Elizabeth sighed and nodded. She understood. Getting up, we noticed that the line included a few kids from Saint Jude's. We waved to the ones we recognised, but didn't really know. They shyly waved back, too nervous about being out to be enjoying it yet.

"Hey, it's Alice." Elizabeth pointed back towards the tall, willowy brunette standing near the front of the line.

I craned my neck around to see her, and recognised the person she was standing with. "And that new kid."

"Who?" Eli turned around, trying to see who I was talking about. "Oh, they've gone in. Who was it?"

"Oh, just some guy," I said. "Don't worry about him."
♠ ♠ ♠
A quick author's note, because I don't like these things, but I think it may be necessary.
I love your comments.