Status: Updates on Sundays

And Through the Portal They Fell

Erin 2

"I was lost in the woods. I had gone asleep for a while and woke up when it got cold. I saw lights in the distance and walked until I got here." Erin explained. She wore a look of total innocence which she hoped helped them believe her.

The figure crossed it's arms and stepped into the light. "Alright, I need you to come with me, young lady." The figure looked around at the other villagers, "Everyone can go home. Tonights events will be continued tomorrow."

The villagers dispersed and went to their homes. They moved quickly and it was not long until the center of the village was cleared out and silent.

The figure was a woman with shoulder length black hair and serious looking grey eyes. Erin could not tell exactly how the woman looked as she wore a mask of a cat's face over her own. Erin followed her to a big tree house. The woman was fit and climbed the ladder with ease. Erin took a little more time.

The inside of the treehouse was warm. Erin was not sure how since she did not see a fire place anywhere in the treehouse. The woman pulled out a wooden chair, whose cushion was made from leaves, for herself and sat down. She asked Erin to do the same.

"Before we begin talking again I would like a proper introduction." The woman said. Erin nodded her head and gave the woman her name. "My name's Erin Benton."

"I am Aella. I am the ruler of this village and the surrounding forest." The woman explained to Erin.
"How did you end up in this forest? Surely, you did not come from Queen Elinora's country."

"I ... I am not entirely sure how I got here. One second I was in my house doing homework and listening to music and the next," Erin sighed. "well, the next second I was falling through a hole that opened up underneath my chair. And I have no idea who this Queen Elinora is." Erin told Aella.

Aella had a look of confusion glimmer through her rain cloud color eyes. "It sounds like a portal was opened up where you were. I am surprised you have never heard of Queen Elinora..." A question came to Aella's mind and she quickly asked it, "Tell me Erin. What land are you from?"

"Um, the United States." Erin said as though it were the most obvious answer in the world.

Aella said, "I have never heard of such a place. Are you sure you are not mad or you hit your head when you landed?"

Erin said, "Yes I am sure! How can I be crazy? In this place it seems as though time takes forever to move. It must be this place that is crazy!"

Aella smirk. "Strong claims for someone so young. A place can only seem mad through a mad person's eyes. As for me I have grown up in this place. Would that make me mad?" She leaned on the table and narrowed her eyes. Aella whispered to Erin, "It is not such a nice thing to imply something so rude to and about the person who can decide your fate. In fact, it is not very wise. If you ever want to survive a week in this world you may want to wisen up a bit."

Erin swallowed hard. She changed the subject, "You said something about a portal earlier on?"

"Yes, I did. Someone must have created the portal, for what purpose I do not know, but I do know of a way you can get back to your home." Aella said.

Erin's face lighted up with that one little sentence. "Really! Why did not you say something earlier? How do I get home?"

"You were not listening and too busy trying to call me and my home mad." Aella said matter of factly. Erin blushed and Aella went on. "Anyway, there is a mirror in Princess Elinora's castle. It is a big mirror on a long wall. You will have to gain her favor or trick her into doing the spell that will allow you to pass through the mirror."

"Alright, I think I'll try to gain her favor, I'm not too good at tricking people." Erin told Aella.

Aella shrugged her shoulders and said, "It matters not. Both ways are equally difficult. Princess Elinora is very manipulative and will do everything in her power to get what she wants easily, but make how to get what you want difficult."

Erin eyes were cast down. If it was as difficult as Aella claimed then she may never be getting home. She concentrated on the wooden floor that was covered with a green and purple rug that had a swirl design on it for a few moments until she took a deep breath. She looked back in Aella's eyes and said, "I am going to have to try anyway."

The tall woman smiled, "I hoped you would say something like that. I like to see that spark of courage in people's eyes." She got out of her chair and went through a chest at the foot of a bed that could be seen through a doorway in another room. When she re-entered the room she had left Erin in, she had brought back a blanket. "If you would like you may rest here a few days and decide how you will go about your journey."

"That would be great. Thank you." Erin gave Aella a smile. Aella placed the blanket on the floor and said, "I apologize but my floor is the only thing I have for you to sleep on."

Erin said, "It's fine. Better than sleeping on the ground like in the woods."
Aella nodded in agreement and left Erin alone. Erin layed down, covered herself with the blanket, and closed her eyes. It was not long until she fell into the warm darkness of sleep.

She was woken hours later by the delicious smell of food being cooked. She saw Aella moving the source of the delicious smell around in a pan. Erin asked, "What is that you're cooking?"

"Fish. There's a pond nearby where we are able to catch them. This is breakfast. I'm sure you would like some too." Aella answered.

Erin was not a huge fan of fish. In fact, she really could not stand the taste of most fish. However, she did not want to appear rude and accepted the fact that she would have to eat some.

It turned out the fish was actually tasted good to her. Erin did not know what kind of fish it was but she was fairly certain that she would never be able to find it back home. She ate all she was given and thanked Aella for the meal. Aella said, "It was no problem. Just do not tell everyone about this. If they ask, you cooked your own food."

Erin agreed. She guessed it was just some weird cultural thing and moved on. She sat in a chair near a window of the tree house. Everyone outside was busy. It seemed everyone was pretty much self suficent in their lives. Next to each home there was a small garden (the tree houses had their own versions which had boxes full of soil) and she saw some people trading herbs and fish and other supplies. Life went on like it would in any town.

"I hope you don't think you will get to sit there all day. You will be learning how to take care of yourself before I send you off to Queen Elinora's land." Aella informed her. They left the tree house and walked around until Aella spotted who she was looking for. It was a boy about her age wearing a mask shaped like a wolf's face. Other than that the only facial feature she could see were his brown eyes. Aella said to him, "Nash, teach this girl how to survive in the forest. Her name is Erin."

Aella left without letting the boy get a word in. Nash looked down at Erin and said, "How did you even live a day in the woods without knowing anything?"

Erin shrugged her shoulders and smiled at him, "Dumb luck?"

"Dumb sure is the word. Babies probably know how to survive better than you." Nash laughed. He started walking towards the forest. When he realized Erin wasn't following he looked back. "You coming or not?"

Erin nodded her head and ran to catch up to him. Erin frowned. She thought, 'I don't think I'm gonna get along with him much.'
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback would be much appreciated.