Status: Sorry for the long wait everyone! Things have been crazy, working on updates now :)

Just One Step

Five Drinks & A Piggyback

When I walked out, all the boys’ eyes turned to me.

“Is it that bad?” I asked.

“No, Dani you look…” Niall trailed off.

“Hot,” Louis finished for him nodding. Niall punched him in the shoulder as the rest of the boys stated their agreement.

“Well at least it didn’t turn out like last summer,” I said as I sat down.

“What happened last summer?” Zayn asked. Devin began to laugh he knew what was coming.

“I came out of that room blonde,” I said matter-of-factly.

“Blonde?” Harry asked in disbelief.

“Yep,” I said, popping the p. “Blonde.”

“It wasn’t that bad,” Taylor said in defense. “I’m going to go get ready, If you guys want there is alcohol in the fridge,”

“Alcohol?” Liam asked, making sure she heard her right.

“Yeah, Tay is a party girl,” Devin said with a smile.

“What about her parents?” Liam asked, obviously still confused.

“Live on the 21st floor,” he said. “And don’t come down here,”

“Oh,” Liam said.

“Yeah, her dad owns MediCorp,” I said.

“Gotcha,” he said. I got up and went to the fridge. I turned around once I got there and yelled into the other room.

“Hey, anybody else want something?”

“I’ll have a beer,” said Devin.

“Me too,” said Niall.

“Me three!” Louis yelled.

“I’ll…” I interrupted Zayn and spoke.

“Should I just grab one for each of you?” I said.

“Yes,” all the boys chorused.

“Alright,” I said reaching into the fridge. I grabbed eight boys, knowing that Tay would want one too. I walked back into the room where everyone was sitting and set the bottles down on the coffee table. I picked up one of them and opened the bottle and sat down on the couch next to Niall.

“So what was Tay saying about me?” he asked me.

“Oh,” I said and blushed. “You heard that,”

“Not all of it, just something about Irish and heels. Care to explain?”

“Nope,” I said.

“Aw come on?”

“Nope,” I said as Tay walked in saving me from telling Niall about how Tay thinks he likes me. I took a swig of my beer and handed Tay her bottle.

“Thanks love,” she said with a faux British accent.

“Not bad,” Harry said trying to fake an American one but failing miserably. We all laughed.

***

We got to the venue at six, because Dev’s band needed to set up. The only boy who I knew in the band besides Dev was Sean. Dev and Sean were both best friends with James, so I was hoping he wouldn’t show up tonight. Tay said the venue gave him ten tickets. I started to do the math in my head. Six for the boys and me, plus one for Tay, I could safely assume that Sean’s girlfriend, Liv, was coming, but that still left two tickets unaccounted for. Great. I walked over to the bar and ordered a beer, my second of the night. I took a swig of it, before setting it down because my phone was buzzing. It was a text from Mark.

From: Uncle Mark
Received: 6:35 PM
Message: hey dani! how is your date going?

I replied.

To: Uncle Mark
Sent: 6:37 PM
Message: wat date?

From: Uncle Mark
Received: 6:38 PM
Message: you and nialls

To: Uncle Mark
Sent: 6:40 PM
Message: were not on a date plus james is prob goin 2 show up tonight so ill prob bail

From: Uncle Mark
Received: 6:41 PM
Message: ok uno it is soooo a date and duo wait is that how you say 2 in spanish watevr 2 you are not bailing even if james shows up you need to move on dani and niall is perfect for you

I ignored his text and finished off my beer. I turned and asked the bartender for another.

“Rough day?” he asked, as he handed me my third beer.

“Nahh, just preparing for the evening,” I half joked. He laughed and began to make my way over to where Tay was helping set up the equipment.

“Who did Dev give the last three tickets too?” I asked her.

“Well I know Liv is coming,” she said, “But IDK about the other two,” she shrugged. I wanted to ridicule her for using text talk IRL but the 3 beers were starting to take their effect. “Why?” she asked.

“I’m worried that James might show,” she frowned at this.

“Girl,” she said leaning down from the stage and putting a hand on my shoulder. “You need to move on, he already has. Think of him as those sneakers I wouldn’t let you wear, if you keep thinking about him he could ruin your chances with Niall,”

“You know I never said I even liked Niall,” I said sharply. “Plus what if I’m used to the sneakers,”

“You never protested either,” she pointed out. “And who cares if you’re used to those sneakers, those sneakers and worn out. Plus,” she added with a grin. “I see some pretty cute high heels over there that would look amazing on you, and happen to have a lovely accent,” she turned me around and gave me a slight push toward the boys.

***
One hour and two more beers later the concert began. I was dancing with Niall; we were both goofing off a laughing. He wasn’t nearly as drunk as I was, but he didn’t seam to care and he wasn’t taking advantage of it either. It was my best night in a long time. It was the first night after James when I didn’t even feel the smallest urge to hurt myself. I smiled at him and he smiled back. I started to laugh.

“Why are you laughing?” he asked in his adorable accent, which made me laugh more.

“Seriously?” Once I stopped laughing I answered him.

“Your’reecute,” I slurred drunkenly. “reeeellycutee,”

“Maybe we should go sit down,” he said. He knew I was drunk, but not this drunk. He led me over to the bar and sat me on one of the stools and he sat next to me. I looked up and down the bar with wide eyes. When you’re drunk, everything is so much more interesting. I scanned up and down the bar, taking in everything. I wish I hadn’t. It was then that I saw it. Saw them really. James and Jenna making out at the end of the bar. Tears formed in my eyes.

“Are you okay?” he asked. I shook my head, unable to speak.

“Come on,” he said, giving me hand off the stool. “Let’s get you home,” I stood up for a second before collapsing onto the floor. He helped me stand up, and then hoisted me onto his back, carrying me piggyback style out of the venue.

“Can I use your phone?” he said.

“Sure,” I mumbled, and took the phone out of my pocket and handed it to him.

Niall’s POV

I took the phone she handed me. I scrolled through her contact till I found Tay’s number.

To: Tay Winsdor
Sent: 7:48 PM
Message: hey tay it’s niall dani is really upset im gonna take her home wheres her house

From: Tay Winsdor
Received: 7:50 PM
Message: if shes still drunk take her back to my place, lexington & 93rd I don’t want her granddad to see her drunk

Dani had mentioned checking on her granddad earlier, I wonder where her parents where. I hailed a cab and had just gotten Tay settled, when I received another text from Tay. Dani leaned over and started to really cry with her head on my shoulder.

From: Tay Winsdor
Received: 7:56 PM
Message: was it james?

James? Who was this James? I remember when we got back form the restaurant Harry had asked her about James. I had thought that maybe it was her boyfriend, but I would have thought she would have invited him too, and we would have met him. Now Tay was saying that maybe she was upset because of him, so he definitely wasn’t her boyfriend, at least I hoped not.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: Hope you guys like it!