Sam; Promises

1/1

I jammed the butcher knife into the pumpkin to make eyes while humming softly. My parents emerged and my mother scolded me softly.

“Sweetie why are you carving another pumpkin?”

“For Halloween,” I continued my act.

“Matilda that is enough, we already have some outside.” My father said.

I ignored them until my mother grabbed the knife from me and my father grabbed the fruit. I looked up confused and watched him throw it out.

“Now go to bed it’s getting late.”

“But it’s not midnight yet-“

“Now,” my father ordered.

I went to my bedroom and on the way up I heard my mother.

“Benjamin, blow out the jack-o-lanterns.”

“But it’s not the first yet-“

“You sound like our daughter, go now.”

I shook my head and went to my room crying softly. They didn’t understand at all.
___
Something knocked onto the floor downstairs; I sat up realizing I had fallen asleep, looking at the clock I saw it was 10 pm. At least it was still Halloween.

I went down the stairs to investigate. Still in my witch costume I reached the bottom and looked in the kitchen. Laying on the counter was my mother but she was different.

Her face resembled a pumpkin; her eyes were gone, carved out in the shape of two triangles, lips slit longer than normal and stained red by blood instead of lipstick.

I couldn’t move.

“M-Mommy?”

“No!” I ran to the living room where I heard my father shout.

He lay on the ground looking up at a small creature with a mask clad face and an orange lollipop in his hand. The candy was bitten and had jagged edges. I watched as the creature stabbed it in a downward motion into his chest.

I just stood there and finally the creature looked back at me. He cocked his round head to the side and I mimicked his actions. He dropped the lollipop and I noticed in the other hand he had a bag similar to that of a trick or treaters.

He lifted his hand and I looked down at his gloved small hand.

“Promise we’ll have Halloween on Christmas?” I asked in a dazed voice, I think I am still in shock.

He giggled and nodded. I walked forward and wrapped my small 10 year old hand around his. We turned to the door and walked out he stopped and bent to re-light my jack-o-lanterns.

I always loved Halloween; I finally found someone who understood that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Her father.
Her mother.

- Season Greetings from Neche & Sam