Status: May add more if I want to.

War

Life is War

Life was not a valuable gift, but death was. Life was a fever-dream made up of joys embittered by sorrows, pleasure poisoned by pain; a dream that was a nightmare-confusion of spasmodic and fleeting delights, ecstasies, exultations, happinesses, interspersed with long-drawn miseries, griefs, perils, horrors, disappointments, defeats, humiliations, ad despairs--the heaviest curse devisable by divine ingenuity; but death was sweet, death was gentle, death was kind; death healed the bruised spirit and the broken heart, and gave them rest and forgetfulness; death was man's best friend; when man could endure life no longer, death came and set him free.
-Mark Twain, Letters from the Earth.

Life may be ridden with deceit and greed, but that's the magic of it. If we can't face life head on with our arms raised high, and our voices chanting with the roar of battle, then we'll be eaten alive. We will never be able to see the end to the ever going battle in life if we let death whisk us away to a land of peace and forgetfulness. The blood of our comrades will be all but forgotten upon the battlefield. They will die there in battle alone.

Life is not a dream, oh no. It is a war; an on-going war of struggles pain, and disappointments. But, in-between the gunfire, there is a sense of peace and joy that your comrades bring that makes it all worth it. It makes it all worth not deserting. You think it would be better to leave the war to your comrades, your brothers, alone; to fight for their lives, no, their very souls. You think that you will be missed, no doubt that they would, but what you don’t realize is, that you are bringing yourself shame. You had given up, for what you have been fighting for is now put on the shoulders of your comrades, your brothers. They don’t want to fight for you. They want to fight beside you, to catch you when you fall, to cover your back as the bullets rain down. Because that is how the bond is made.

That is the reason they fight with you.

To be there for you when it gets tough, because secretly, that’s what they want from you. They want you to share your rations with you when the supplies run low, because they would do the same for you. They would take the bullet that was meant for you, just to make sure you would still live on, to fight another day and eventually win that war. When you watch, as they slowly bleed out on the cold ground, are you by their side? Will you cry as they shakily take your hand and say “Thanks for having my back?” Are you willing to fight for another day?

With our arms raised high, I am ready to fight with you. I am ready to fight for another tomorrow, a better one. If I fall during the battle, remember that there is a tomorrow that you have to fight for. Leave me behind. My war is over, but yours is still going strong. Death is a peace that you have to earn, not cheat your way to. But, don’t fear death; he is not our enemy. He calls us to come back home when our duty is served.

In the war of life, there is no one true enemy. Rather, many that are working against us. Sometimes, it is ourselves and our comrades that we fight against, but that’s the thing about us humans. We are willing to participate in endless bloodshed for things that won’t even matter when you’re brought back home.

But, until that day I am called home, I will fight till my last breath. I have my gun at the ready and my comrades on my side, ready to fight for another day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Are you?