Status: Working Progress

Mission J

Chapter 12

A strange chill had shot through my spine, a feeling I didn’t see coming. I was stunned; hell, I was stunned at the fact that I was stunned. By him of all people!
I had managed to hold my even gaze as Seo gazed back, a pleasant smile on his face. Just seconds before he was rigid and clearly angry, but in the next moment he was calm, relaxed and smiling. Charming, bright and clear; it was there. He’s an actor, yes, but that smile looks and feels all too real and it came so quick at that. Who would’ve seen this level of potential in a Korean drama actor?
A single thought shot through my mind then,

I may have been too quick to underestimate him.

Seo Jae-Sung blinked at me, pulling off a perfectly innocent look. Damn, I couldn’t do it any better.
“Is there something wrong?” he asked. I haven’t replied immediately to his last comment.
I felt a scowl working its way onto my face.
“You’re upset.” I said.
The actor’s smile faltered slightly at my words as he cocked his head a tad bit to the side and gave me a convincing puzzled look.
“Am I?” he said, still gazing at me evenly.

Something about this whole act felt subtly taunting, as if he was trying to provoke me.

“You can cut the act.” I told him, my irritation coming out in a cooler tone. “There are no cameras here to catch you.”
“Who says I’m acting?” he replied, his tone also taking on an edge.
I gave him a brazen stare, which Seo returned equally in his cocky fashion.

If the tension before wasn’t bad enough, now we had a case of mild animosity in the mix. Not exactly a way to show the guy I was on his side.

Not breaking the stare-off, I sighed and straightened in my seat.
“You should understand that you can trust me on this.” I said, keeping my tone calm.
“You haven’t given me a reason to trust you.” he said.
That was true enough. “True, and I can understand that but---”

“I don’t want to trust you.”

I stopped, took in what he just said and sighed.
“Normally, that would be just fine but I’m working to---”
“You really don’t have to,” he said, cutting me off for the second time. “I don’t think you are necessary for the situation I’m in.”
With that, he gave me a tight-lipped smile and pushed himself off of the couch. He headed back over to the windows, leaving me blinking where I sat.

No, that wasn’t rude at all.

“Sorry, but I beg to differ.” I spoke clearly over my shoulder. I glanced back at him behind me to see him staring back at me.
Mwuh?” he said, his tone low and his expression a shade darker. Finally I saw a break from his annoying act.
I got up from my own seat, made my way to the windows where Seo was standing and stopped to face him.
“Mr. Seo, when I say this, I’m not saying it out of arrogance or to brag. But I am good at what I do and you can use someone like me as an available asset in your case.” I said. “Let me help you.”

Seo Jae-Sung studied my face, reading me and I stood there hoping I looked earnest enough to get through to him. The silence lasted a few more seconds of him scrutinizing me. But then he inhaled, a serious look on his face.
“Why?” he asked.

I could’ve strangled him then but I held it back with an aggravated breath.
“What do you mean, why?” I demanded, throwing my hands up in frustration. “What more reason could I possible give you than I already have?”
“Why pry through the case when the police are already investigating?” he demanded right back. “You have nothing to do with it and now you’re sticking your nose in places it doesn’t belong. You’re just as bad as those sleazy reporters snooping through my trash.”
“But I am involved if I’m the one protecting you. I need to know exactly from what.” I argued. “And what I’m doing is nothing like digging through trash so don’t even start there.”
Seo Jae-Sung scoffed and leaned away from me, looking rather irritated.
“You don’t need to know anything other than the fact that you’re supposed to keep me safe. If something comes right at me, stop it. If I’m about to get hurt, cover me. Your job is to stand in between me and whatever could hurt me.”
“So you’re telling me to do my job blindly, and you’re expecting me to keep you safe from your stalker,” I demanded, giving him an incredulous look.
Seo glared at me.
“You know about the stalker too,” he muttered, the disgust clear in his tone. “Really, what do you do to get all these information?”
“Of course I know about the stalker! It’s the reason why I was hired to begin with!” I grouched. “I’m telling you I’m just doing my job. So just let me help you.”

The actor continued to glare at me and for a moment he looked like he was going to yell back. But then something seemed to have clicked in his head because he stopped, his expression calmed.
“Ah…” he let out thoughtfully. “I get it now.”
“Get what?” I nearly snapped, hating the superior vibe he was now giving off.
“Now that I see it this way, it makes a lot of sense.” he continued to muse.
“What makes sense?” I demanded, annoyed.
Seo crossed his arms over his chest, a lazy amused smile on his face.
“So how badly do you need this job?” he asked me coolly. “You should know your personality is probably not helping you keep a job.”

That…pretty much tears it.

I scoffed, all strained effort of being on my best behavior gone.
“Huh. You know, you may be right about my personality.” I told him. “In all my past jobs all I had to do was pull the trigger to get past any assholes who are too hard to deal with. But this time around, I’m protecting the asshole.”
The actor’s cheeky smile was gone, the glare coming back. I glared back openly now, no longer holding back. And then we were back to the angry tension and the silent stare-off. This time he was the one to break the silence.
“You’re definitely not the right person for this job.” he spoke lowly. “You will be gone on Monday, if not sooner.”
“Fine.” I returned. “But in the meantime, I’m going to take you up on that offer and dig all I want.”
“Then you should know I have no intention of helping you get what you want.” he informed me.
Like that’s so much of a threat.

I was about to make another sarcastic remark when I heard the office door open.
“Sorry for the wait; now what is this urgent business?” President Chung called over to us, striding into his office.
I turned to the approaching man and smiled politely.
“I believe Mr. Seo is the one with all the business.” I said calmly. “I best get going; I have a detective to meet.”
I bowed my head respectfully and strode over to the office table. I swiped up the orange document envelope as I passed and tucked it back into my jacket.
President Chung gave me a subtle questioning gaze, which I returned with a grave one. To this he let out a tired sigh as I passed him wordlessly. I didn’t look back as I exited the office.

Yumi was standing behind her desk, folders in her arms and the desk phone pressed to her ear. I gave her a motion of silent farewell wave, which she smiled in return. With nothing more, I started for the elevator.

I was just taking my third step when I heard the door slam and rapid footfalls right behind me. Before I could turn, a hand caught my right arm and brought me to a yanking halt.
“You’re not going to just walk away---” Seo Jae-Sung started to snarl.

He made it too easy for me.
As he yanked me back, I shoved my right elbow right into his stomach. His grip loosened immediately and a hoarse oomph! escaped him on impact. As he doubled over in pain my left hand gripped his jacket collar, my right hand slipping to his waistband.
Then all I had to do was shove.

I sunk low as Superstar hit the ground back first, and he let out a gasp of pain. A stunned expression was written all over his face as he struggled to catch his breath. My grip on his jacket tightened, my right hand pressed to the floor beside his head as I hovered closely over his body. I let a second pass before I spoke.
“Do not touch me.” I snarled. “I’m not paid to treat you kindly so don’t be shocked if I actually punch back. If you think you can pull, yank and throw me around, you are sadly mistaken.”
I let go of his jacket dismissively, letting him fall back to the floor and pushed myself off of the floor.
“Me playing nice is a courtesy, not a requirement.” I added, straightening my jacket.
Superstar just stared up at me, wide-eyed and gasping for air still. He clearly didn’t see this turn of events coming.

Clicking my tongue in irritation, I stepped over the guy and headed to the elevator. The doors opened almost immediately after I pressed the button and I stepped in without a word. I turned back to look at Floor 11 before the door closed.

Yumi was still standing behind her desk, her eyes wide and the papers she had dropped scattered around her. President Chung had stepped out of his office and he stood frozen at the door. He, too wore a stunned expression that mirrored his secretary.
And then there was Superstar, who was taking his time getting back on his feet. He had just started to peel himself off the floor, propping himself up to a sitting position and slowly turned towards the elevator.

The last thing I saw as the door closed was his dark, angry glare.

I pressed the button for the main lobby and stood still, welcoming the silence of the empty space the elevator provided. I felt my stomach drop the slightest bit with the elevator as it started its’ descend to the first floor. I inhaled and sighed, feeling slightly better. Sure; I was being immature but man, pushing back was so damn gratifying. He had it coming.
It only took a few seconds before the small satisfaction sizzled out and another sinking thought took its place.

“Ah crap,” I muttered, pulling out my cell phone.

I flipped the phone open, pressed in the familiar number and after a brief moment to brace myself, I hit call.
And as always, it only took one ring for him to pick up.
“Hey, what is it?” he spoke in his calm voice. Let’s see how long that lasts.
I groaned inwardly, hating this call already.
“Jun…don’t kill me, okay?” I grumbled.
♠ ♠ ♠
ON TIME BABY!! =D

Soo sorry guys, a bit shorter than the usual chapter, but I wanted to get this out on time for once. I did lose a few subscribers after I updated last week, so I'm kind of worried that I'm not doing a good job keeping your interest. Please let me know how I'm doing. Honesty helps a lot so don't worry about being blunt. I mean that.
I will say for those reading the other story, this is the last chapter that would be "mirroring" for now; as you say, K is off doing her own thing while Jae-Sung is...recovering. XD Readers who haven't read the other one, feel free to go over and read it if you want more insight on Jae-Sung's mindset and thoughts through these scenes.

Okay, I rambled too much.
Guys, those of you who still support my story, THANKS SO MUCH!! It means a lot to me!!

Happy Reading!!