Status: I'll be posting a new chapter hopefully every day!

Mockingjay Alternate Ending

Together

"Prim!" I cry, as I try to jump out of bed. That's when I realize how injured I really am, and I wonder how Prim, who was right there when the parachutes went off, is able to stand. Then I see that she isn't standing, she is in a wheelchair, and there's someone with her, someone that I didn't notice was there until now. It's Gale. I have a million questions for him, but right now all I care about is my sister.

"How long have you been awake?" I ask her, longing to hear her voice.

"Just a few minutes, actually. I came to see you right away. Katniss, you almost died." She has tears in her eyes. It takes me a moment to process what she just said, because wasn't it her who almost died? Or am I going crazy? As I stare at her in wonder, I begin to understand. Prim's life is about other peoples' health and wellbeing, not her own. Her near-death experience was merely a small obstacle, and I have no doubt that she plans on continuing as a healer as soon as possible. Prim continues, obviously assuming that the subject is too stressful for me.

"Gale was with me when I woke up… He told me everything that we missed. Katniss, it's over. The war is over."

Over. No more fighting, no more dying.

"The Capitol fell the day the parachutes went off. It's led by President Coin now. President Snow is only alive because of the promise Coin made you; as soon as you're ready, he's dead."

"And Peeta?" I ask, bracing myself.

"No one's sure yet. He got burned pretty badly, but that's not the problem. The doctors found quite a bit of tracker jacker venom in his system. It turns out that the reason hijacking works as well as it does is that if it is injected with a needle instead of coming directly from a tracker jacker, it can stay permanently in the victim's bloodstream. The doctors have never seen this before, because most hijacking victims are not treated for it, since it was believed to be all mental. They have found a way to get it out, but it could be dangerous. They're working on him right now, actually."

I notice that Gale is giving me a calculating look. I try not to show the excitement on my face, but it's hard. If all goes well, Peeta will be free of the hijacking. He will no longer see me as a possible mutt, or secretly fear deep down, for the rest of his life, that I want to kill him. My Peeta will be back. And if it doesn't go well… I decide not to think of that.

I turn my attention to Gale.

"Hi, Gale," I say tentatively. I can't help but remember that the last time I communicated with him, he was telling me to shoot him.

"Hi, Catnip," he says with a smile. "Thanks for not shooting me. Turns out I could take them after all."

"It was my pleasure," I say, relieved. "So, why are you here? Shouldn't you be helping out somewhere, with cleanup?"

"Actually, I'm leaving this afternoon. Disctrict Two. I just… had to see you before I left. I'll be back for the execution though. You'll be out of here in about a week, Prim as well."

"Thank God. I hate it in here, to be honest," I say, and it's true. I can't wait to get out of this white, sterile room.

"I should be going. See you, Catnip."

"Bye Gale." I don't know what else to say, so I settle for a measly "Have fun."

"I have to go too, the doctors don't know I'm gone. I love you, Katniss," says Prim.

I realize that I'm gripping tightly on to Prim's equally scarred hand. I don't want to let go. I can't bear the thought of Prim leaving me now.

"Please, stay with me. They'll understand. Please."

Prim looks at me, and for a moment I feel like the younger sister, pleading for Prim to stay, to comfort me.

"Okay Katniss, I'll stay with you," she says, and I can tell that she is relieved. She wanted me to say that.

"I love you, Prim," I say, as I grip her hand tighter.