Status: Completed.

#9. Flame Trees

And There's Nothin' Else That Could Set Fire To This Town

I was still in my boxers, the icy breeze from the beach nipping at my exposed skin. As soon as Mum was back inside, I rushed to get my clothes on, shaking the sand from them.
I felt my pocket, making sure my key was still there, not really wanting to sleep on the couch.
I didn't even bother to strip as I slid into my bed, the covers fresh. My room hadn't been touched. The dirty clothes I'd had thrown across the floor were washed and put in my cupboard, like I'd expected, but nothing else was touched.
My CD's were stacked untidily on my computer desk, my old laptop still sitting there. Papers were scattered across the desk, and on the floor, from when I'd quickly picked up things I'd need in that moment.
In the minutes between lying down and falling asleep, I wished I'd never run away. I felt as though I'd missed so much.
My home in Vegas was my own, decorated the way I liked, just how my bedroom was at home. But being in my old bed, surrounded by my old posters, my home in Vegas seemed wrong.
Huntington Beach was my home, my life. The people there were my friends, my family. The people I'd surrounded myself with in Vegas were distractions, at first.
Sleep came easily, which was unusual for me. I couldn't remember falling asleep. When I woke, it felt as though I'd just closed my eyes for a moment.
From downstairs, I could hear Mum rattling things, probably cooking.
All the plugs in my room had been turned off, so when I looked at the alarm clock on my bedside table, the numbers were off. I sighed, digging under my pillow for my phone, knowing I'd shoved it under there the night before.
I glared at my phone screen. It was barely eight-am, way too early for me to be awake.
Mum had always gotten up at the butt-crack of dawn, breakfast on the table for me and Dad when we got up.
The house felt empty without him, but he'd chosen to run off with some floozy from the bar, leaving behind Mum and I. I'd always said it was his loss, leaving behind a family who loved him for some skank who'd probably leave him, but it still hurt.
I stumbled out of bed, yawning and scratching my head as I stretched.
My jeans were creased from sleeping in them, my shirt folded halfway up my chest. I had to straighten my clothes out before going downstairs.
Mum was in the kitchen, tending to something on the stove and making two cups of coffee, while minding the toaster too.
As I stepped into the kitchen, my bare feet thumped against the tiled floor, alerting Mum of my presence.
She turned to me, coffee cup in hand, smiling.

'I was just about to wake you.' She said, handing me the cup. I smiled, thanking her with a nod.
'Breakfast will be ready in a moment.'
I turned to the kitchen table, taking my old seat, at the head of the table. I noticed there were four places set, a glass of orange juice set by one plate.

'Are they back?' I asked quietly, sipping at my drink. Mum didn't answer for a moment, too busy popping the toast, buttering it, and scooping scrambled eggs onto the plate.
She made four trips, placing eat full plate on the table before picking up the next.
When she'd sat down in front of her plate, mine already there, just untouched. I wanted an answer.

'They'll be home in a few minutes. Shawn called.' She said, cutting up her toast and eggs. That was the end of conversation between us.
I ate silently, my plate almost finished when the front door opened rather loudly. Someone ran upstairs, while another came our way.
In the doorway of the kitchen was a man. He was tall, well-built. Maybe mid-forties, early fifties at the most. His skin was sun-kissed, but his hair was almost the opposite. His once brown hair was littered with grey and white, giving his appearance more age.
'Welcome home.' Mum smiled to him, standing to greet the man with a kiss. I had to look away. I didn't like the idea of sharing my Mum.

'And who’s this young man?' The man, Shawn, asked, dropping his suitcase on the floor, kicking his shoes off in the doorway. I cringed. I'd been scolded for that many times, but Mum said nothing about it, going back to her breakfast.

'Shawn, meet my son, Zacky. Zacky, this is Shawn.' Mum smiled, digging back into her breakfast. I stood up, shaking the mans hand out of respect, even though I held near none for him.
His handshake was strong, like he was challenging me. I wasn't up for one at that moment.

'So the runaway comes home, I see.' He smiled. His words were harsh, but his smile was soft, almost playful. I stepped back, taking my plate from the table. When I looked back up, Mum was glaring at Shawn.

'Thanks for breakfast, Mum. Just the way I remember.' I smiled, scraping the little chunks of egg into the bin, rinsing the plate off.
Through the years, I'd learned Mum's ways. Wash the plate after using it, sit it in the rack, cutlery washed and put away. It was the way we'd done it for years. Shoes were to be left by the front door, coats hung up on the rack. Shawn, on the other hand, did none of it. His shoes stayed in the doorway, his jacket lopped on top of them. He was a messy eater, and an even messier drinker.
Mum seemed to brush it off.
I left the kitchen, thanking Mum once more, heading to my car. I popped the boot with the keys that were in my pocket, grabbing my small suitcase I'd brought with me.
I had to heave the thing up the stairs, regretting packing so much into something so small.
From the bottom of the stairs, I could hear music playing. It was upbeat, girlish. As I reached the top floor, I could see the bedroom at the end of the hall, the door open. The walls were pink, the bed, or what I could see of it, much the same.
I closed my door behind me, locking it from the inside. I pulled out a change of clothes, stripping my crinkled clothes off. I left them on the floor, knowing I'd have to wash them later.
As I was changing, there was a knock at my door. I tore the shirt over my head, kicking my bad under my desk, out of the way.
I unlocked the door, and was greeted by Emma, who looked no more than eleven. She wore pink sweatpants, a matching jacket over the top of a white shirt with a slogan I couldn't read.

'Can I have your room?' She asked, straight out. She looked hopeful, pouting her small lips as if the look was supposed to persuade me.

'No.' I said, closing the door in her face. In that moment, I felt like I was a big brother, like I was locking my little sister out of my room. It made me smile.
I was an only child, at least, that I knew of. If my Father had gone off and had more kids, I wouldn't have known.
I lay down on my bed, folding my arms behind my head.
I'd barely gotten comfy when my window was torn open, a loud clanking rising up the side of my house. I jumped up, shocked. Though as I seen Matt pop his head through my now open window, I relaxed.
He scampered into my room, leaning out the window to grab someone else’s arm. Johnny popped into my room, followed by Jimmy, who, as soon as his feet hit the floor, tackled me to the bed, hugging me.
I gave out a shriek, laughing as my head hit the mattress.

'Awe, man! We missed you!' Jimmy yelled, still hugging me, rolling over so I was on top of him, then over again till we fell on the floor with a thud.
I gripped the back of my head with one hand, laughing as I pushed Jimmy off with the other.
I sat in my room for hours with them, talking about old times, and new times.
It wasn't until we'd gotten onto the subject of my leaving that I noticed Jimmy had a bottle of beer in his hands. He hadn't changed one bit.
They stayed until Mum came up to check on me, wondering if I'd left.

'Oh, hello, boys.' Mum smiled, standing in the doorway. Jimmy hid his now empty bottle behind his back, much like we did so many times before.
'How'd you get in?'

'The window.' Matt shrugged, leaning back against my headboard, crossing his ankles with a little difficulty since Johnny was lying on his legs.

'I swear, you're all still teenagers.' Mum laughed, leaving my room.

'Has anyone seen Brian?' Johnny asked after a few seconds of silence. I shook my head, falling back on the floor, my old bean bag beneath my head. Jimmy was leaning on it too, while the Matt and Johnny took over my bed.

'He's spending time with his Dad, I think. I really don't know, man. He slammed the door in my face.' Matt shrugged, folding his arms behind his head.
My mind was off in its own world while the guys talked, bitching about how Brian had changed. I only caught wind of half the conversation, my stomach sinking.
Brian had changed. It was my fault.
No one noticed my silence until Johnny tried asking me a question, a question I didn't hear until Jimmy slapped me.

'Ouch! What the fuck was that for?' I demanded, rubbing my cheek. Jimmy shrugged, pointing to Johnny, who was sitting up, a pillow raised over his head, ready to hit me.

'Dude, stop daydreaming.' He snapped, tossing the pillow at my head. I threw it back, but he ducked, so the pillow hit Matt, who threw it back, but majorly missed me. The pillow was left in the corner of the room, no one willing to get up and fetch it.
Everyone stayed until after lunch. Mum cooked us a nice big feast, which we took outside.
Shawn joined us, while Mum and Emma had a girls lunch inside, complete with tea.
I was picking at my potato salad while Shawn tried to talk to me, apologizing, no doubt because Mum told him to, for the morning.
I just shrugged it off, chewing slowly. I was the only one eating the salads. Matt had a steak in his hands, trying to bite into it. Johnny was eating a sausage on bread, after making a penis joke. Jimmy, well, he had both, somehow managing to pile them on bread with a coating of tomato sauce and a bit of onion I'd dropped on my plate.
I wasn't sure what Shawn was eating, the plate of meat was blocking my view.

'I feel bad for eating here without Brian.' Matt said, dropping the bone of his steak, wiping his hands on some napkins Mum had given us.
Johnny nodded, swallowing the crust of the bread.
'I think someone should go get him.' Matt said, clearly taking himself out of the equation. Jimmy pointed to his overly full mouth, shaking his head.

'I'll go.' I offered, already standing. Jimmy, who was still trying to swallow, just waved me off.
I left the table, fixing my clothes that'd wrinkled slightly.
I nearly ran to Brian's, almost falling to my face when I tripped over a pebble on the side walk. I steadied myself quickly, looking back to see if anyone had seen. Luckily, everyone was inside, or not home.
It took me a moment to knock on the door, worried he didn't want to see me.
Brian answered the door, but he wasn't the right Brian.

'Oh, hey, Zack. I heard you were back.' Brian Senior said, smiling at me.
He hadn't changed much. His skin was sun-kissed, like most people who lived near the beach. His hair was thinning, his hair line receding.
'I'll grab Brian. He's been locked up in his room all day.' He said, swinging the door open more as he walked away. That was his way of inviting me in, but I stayed on the step.
Brian came down the stairs first, his Father close behind. He was dressed in his usual jeans, and a Jack Daniels muscle shirt, one that looked much like my old one.

'We're having lunch. The guys want you there.' I mumbled, rocking back on my heels. Brian just nodded, slipping on some shoes by the door.
He closed the door behind him, following me back up the street silently.
'Are you mad at me?' I asked quietly, my house getting closer and closer.

'Why would I be mad?' He asked, just as quiet. I slowed my pace down, my driveway coming up way too quickly for my liking.

'Matt said you slammed the door in his face.' I shrugged, digging my hands in my pockets, kicking a pile of dirt some kid must have gathered on the path.
'You didn't seem happy last night, so I assumed it was my fault.'

'How can I be happy, Zack? You're leaving again.' He murmured, turning down my driveway. I didn't answer him, instead, I sat down in my chair while Johnny got up to get Brian one.

'How the fuck did you get him out?' Matt demanded, slamming his hand down on the table, glaring at me. I just shrugged my shoulders, picking up a slightly cold sausage from the plate. I didn't bother with the bread or sauce, just chewing slowly on the end of it.
'I swear, you'll do just about anything for him.' Matt muttered to Brian, crossing his arms over his chest.
Matt was never happy when I could get Brian to do something and he couldn't. Half the time, Brian just said no to Matt to piss him off.
Brian just shrugged, picking up a few sausages and a steak, smothering them in sauce.
Everyone jumped into conversation, even Shawn. I stayed silent, absently picking at the sausage I was eating. Brian barely spoke, only pitching in when someone spoke directly to him.
I wasn't sure how long we sat there, but the food lay forgotten and cold by the time we stood up.
Shawn left us to say goodbye, dropping a napkin on the table.
Departing was always a hassle for us. Goodbyes turned into a chat, then someone would bring up something we'd argue over.
Fortunately though, Matt had to go to work, and he was Johnny's ride into town. Jimmy, on the other hand, said he could feel something was up, and left us to our devises.
The second Jimmy was down the street and out of sight, I turned to Brian. His face was blank, his eyes glazed over.
I reached forward, touching his face lightly. He jumped, his eyes wide.

‘You spaced out.’ I stated, brushing my fingers along his cheek bone, his skin softer than it had been. He turned his face to the side, my fingers leaving his skin.
‘What’d I do?’ I asked quietly, quickly looking over to the front door in case someone was watching.

‘I don’t want you to go. I just got you back, Zacky.’ He whispered, frowning. I closed my eyes, sighing.

‘Bri, I’m not leaving just yet.’ I said, stepping away from him. His chest raised dramatically, his arms tensing.

‘But you will leave.’ He snapped, digging his hands in his hair, tugging on the stands. I reached up, gripping his wrists till he let go of his hair. I tried to hold his hands but he pushed my hands away.

‘Then can we enjoy the time we have now?’ I pleaded, reaching for his hand again. This time, he let me hold it, our fingers entwining slightly.
His eyes trailed down to our hands, his jaw set tight.
‘Please, Bri?’ I whispered, squeezing his hand. He was silent for a moment, his eyes trailing over my face.

‘At least say goodbye this time.’ He whispered, dropping my hand.
With that, Brian and I went down to the local bar, where we’d spent most of our teenage years. It hadn’t changed much, if at all. The sign out the front was as old as the hills, much like the sign inside. The bar stools were still uncomfortable and that ugly red leather. The only thing that really changed was the pool tables and the customers.
I was used to seeing teenagers in the bar, drinking up with men twice their age. Brian told me they’d started checking IDs, and kicking people out when they discovered they were too young, rather than let them stay.
As we sat at the bar, I looked around, my adolescence flashing before my eyes.
‘Zack. Woo hoo. You there?’ Brian said loudly, waving a hand in front of my face. I turned to him, my forehead creasing.
‘What do you want to drink? Gavin isn’t going to stand here all day.’ He smiled.

‘Oh, sorry. Just a Jack and coke, thanks.’ I said, rubbing my forehead. Brian touched my shoulder lightly, frowning.

‘Are you okay?’ He asked, sipping at his drink once it was passed to him. Jack Daniels and coke, just like me.
Only seconds later, my drink was passed over. I twirled the straw in the cup, watching the ice cubes clank against one another, the brown liquid swirling around with the cubes.

‘Yeah. Just thinking. I kinda forgot how much I missed home.’ I smiled, just out of habit. On the inside, I was frowning, glaring down at the bar top. I slid my hand underneath the wood, my fingertips brushing over the old wood. I felt a few indents, and truly smiled.
One night, while drinking with the guys, I’d carved our names under the bar, saying it was marking our space. Everyone laughed at me then.
After a few drinks, civil conversation, and a tiny ice fight, we were back to the way we were years before.

I spent a week at home. It felt like old time, only two new people in the house. I still hated Shawn, but grew civil with him, for the sake of my Mother. Emma became more bearable after a few days. She learned I wasn’t giving my room up, and backed off. But she still pestered me, as if I was her brother.
In some ways, I felt like I was her older brother. We argued, a lot. I annoyed her for my own enjoyment, and she got me back.
It was Saturday night I got a call. Jason, one of my few friends in Vegas, decided to call for a “chat”, or so he said. It was never that simple with Jason. He never just called for a chat.
He kept talking about going home, and staying there, with his family, even though his family lived in Vegas. Unless he was hinting at something, I hadn’t a clue what he was talking about. When I was going to ask, he just hung up on me. I didn’t call him back, I had other things on my plate.
I was leaving. I had to. I had to go home, get my dog from the shelter and go back to work. I couldn’t leave my dog in the shelter for too long. He hated that place. I couldn’t take too much time off work. They’d fire me.
I was worried about saying goodbye. Mum would cry, they guys would probably tie me to my bed so I couldn’t leave, and Brian… I was more concerned about him then anyone else.
In that week I was home, he’d opened up more. It was like old times. We drank, we laughed, and we reminisced. He let me sit on his lap when there were no chairs available, and even if there was a chair, he’d grab me before I could sit down. Those moments didn’t feel awkward, although the stares we got from our friends were a little unnerving. They were used to me being close to Brian, but once I confessed my feelings for him, they all turned a little funny on me. That didn’t last long though.
It was early morning Sunday when I started packing my bags. Most of my clothes were washed, minus the ones I was wearing.
Mum was cooking breakfast, Shawn was still in bed, and I was sure Emma was in her room, playing with her mountain of toys. I didn’t know if Mum knew I was awake. She usually brought me up a coffee once she’d showered.
With my bags packed, lying on my already made bed, I left my bedroom, locking it behind me. I hung the key around my neck, tucking it beneath my shirt.
I could hear Mum humming softly as I came into the kitchen. Mum turned as I walked into the kitchen, my shoes on the linoleum giving me away.

‘Morning, sweetie. What are you dressed for? It’s not even nine.’ She smiled, passing me a coffee from the bench. I could see breakfast cooking. Eggs, bacon, hash browns and, what looked like, muffins in the oven.
Mum had been cooking large meals ever since I came home. Breakfast was enough to feed the entire street, while dinner would feed half of America. Her excuse for cooking so much was I had lost weight. Too much for her liking, so she was fattening me up. I made a joke, and asked if she was going to eat me afterwards too.

‘I… Uh… I have to leave. Not now. Later, I mean.’ I rushed, seeing the sadness wash over Mum’s face. I put my coffee down and wrapped her in a hug.

‘I’ll come back, I promise.’ I whispered to her, rocking side to side slowly.
Mum’s breathing was ragged, her chest rising and falling too quickly, though she wasn’t crying. She’d save it for when no one was around.
‘Come on, Mum. Don’t do this. You’re making me feel bad.’ I whispered, standing back, holding her an arms length away. She wiped her eyes, even though no tears had fallen. Her face was tinged pink, a frown set on her lips.

‘You should feel bad.’ She chuckled sadly, running a hand through her hair, messing it up.
‘Why now, Zack? You’re just getting settled in.’

‘I have to get back to work, Ma. They’re pretty strict on days off.’ I said, smoothing her fringe down, which was standing almost on end.
She nodded, wiping her eyes, even though no tears had fallen.
‘I’ll visit more often. I’ll even come down for Christmas, if you’ll have me.’ I smiled, leaning back against the counter, picking up my coffee.

‘If you don’t visit for Christmas, I’ll hunt you down and bring you back.’ She threatened, smiling as she turned back to breakfast.
We ate in near silence. Emma chatted a bit, but fell into the silence as well when no one offered her more than a few words at a time.
I washed the dishes, even though Mum protested. It was Emma’s turn. During the week, we made a routine. I’d do the dishes one night, Emma and Shawn the next.
Though, I offered because I was leaving. Emma didn’t know of my plans, neither did Shawn. They were last on my list, since I’d known them for a week, not my entire life.
I called Matt and asked him to round everyone up, except Brian. I’d need to talk to him alone.
While Emma and Shawn went out for a while, I packed my things into my car, then met everyone down at the park we played at as kids, and drank at as teenagers.
Jimmy and Johnny were fighting over the swings. There were only two swings, but one was made for little kids, the chain across the front.

‘Jesus! You’re small enough to fit in it!’ Jimmy shouted, pushing Johnny to the bark, sitting on the swing with a sigh.
Johnny stood up, brushing himself off. He did sit in the baby swing, but refused to move.
Matt sat on the equipment, his legs dangling over the edge while he leant his arms against the railing.

‘What are we doing here, Zack?’ Matt called as I got closer. I sat on the bottom of the slide, biting my lip. Jimmy turned in the swing, the chains twisting together. Johnny just turned his head.

‘I’m leaving.’ I stated, picking up a handful of bark. It was dry, unlike it used to be. Back in the day, the park was lined with actual dirt, not saw dust. We’d bring bottles of water so we could make mudpies, and castles, like we did at the beach.
‘I have to get back to work, and my dog really hates the shelter.’ I explained, although it felt like I was making excuses.

‘You’ve only been here a week.’ Johnny complained, turning completely in the swing, the chain creaking loudly.
‘Can’t you stay a bit longer?’

‘I want to, guys. Really. But I have to get home. I’ll come back. Maybe you can come visit me one day. Come see Vegas.’ I smiled, turning to look at Matt. He was frowning, his lips set in a tight line.

‘At least you’re saying goodbye.’ He sighed, jumping from the equipment.
‘When are you leaving?’ He asked, brushing his pants off.

‘Later today, I guess. I have to see Brian though.’ I said, standing up.
I gave each of them a hug, though Jimmy came back for another before I left the park. I texted Brian on my walk home, receiving a reply just as my feet touched my driveway.

”Yeah, I’m home. Why?” Was his reply. I pocketed my phone, walking up the street.
The usual car wasn’t in his driveway. It was his Dad’s car, so I assumed Brian Sr. and his wife were out shopping. I’d heard there was a sale on.
Brian sat on the front step, cigarette perched between his fingers, the almost-blue smoke drifting towards his face.
Mum had said beauty attracts smoke. She’d said it when we were by a camp fire one year, and wherever Brian sat, the smoke would flow his way.
I kept my head down as I walked up to him, letting my feet drag on the ground to alert him of my presence.

‘Hey, Zack.’ He called as I got closer. I looked up and smiled, stepping up my pace.
Brian moved over on the step, giving me room to sit.
‘You don’t have to tell me. Emma called after you left.’ He smirked, crushing the spent cigarette under his boot. Underneath the smirk, the mask, he was sad. I could see it in his eyes.

‘How did she know? I didn’t tell her.’ I frowned.

‘She overheard you this morning.’ He stated, shrugging as he looked down, kicking the cigarette butt from the pavement, into the grass.
‘I wish you didn’t have to go.’ He whispered, his fingers curling in his lap.
I reached over, twining my hand with his.

‘I’ll be back. And you can visit me, if you want.’ I smiled, hoping to gain some sort of reaction from him. Sadly, he just nodded. No smile, no frown. His face was blank, except for his eyes. His eyes told me everything.
I pressed a small kiss to his cheek, breathing in his familiar scent.
‘Come on, Bri. I’m leaving soon. Don’t block me out.’ I whispered against his cheek, my lips brushing over his skin lightly as I spoke.

‘When will you come back?’ He asked softly, breaking the silence between us. He turned his face to mine, our noses brushing against the others.
I didn’t get to answer his question before his lips captured mine in a kiss. It was nothing but sweet. My hands moved to his face, cupping his cheeks automatically as our lips moved in sync.
Before anything could escalate, Brian gently pushed me away, holding me away, but keeping me so close, I could feel his breath on my face.
‘I love you, Zack.’ He whispered softly.

‘I love you too, Bri.’ I smiled, leaning my head against his shoulder.
I didn’t stay with Brian long. He told me to go, so I was off the freeway before it got dark. I hadn’t realized how late it was when I got in my car, waving to Mum as I backed out of the driveway.
The entire drive home, I listened to the CD’s I’d taken from my bedroom. They ranged from late 70’s rock, to some mixed CD I’d accidently taken from Mum.
It felt like I’d gotten home too fast. The bright lights of Vegas shone in the distance, and I sighed. I wanted to turn back, to go home where it was quiet.
Ever since I came home, it was hard to fall back into my normal routine. I woke up to an empty house, the friends I'd made over the years in Vegas felt more like acquaintances than anything. I missed my real friends, the ones who've been with me through thick and thin, the ones who'd had my back.
By the second day home, I put in my two week notice at work and called my realtor. I was leaving Vegas for good.
The week I spent in Huntington made me see the bright side. Vegas was dirty and seedy. Huntington was fresh, and home.
I called Mum, to let her know I was coming back, and she cried. She bawled her eyes out, laughing at herself as it happened. She promised me she’d look for a house for me, near by. I thanked her, and moved onto the next number on my call list. Jason.
He wasn’t as distraught as I thought he’d be. No, he cheered me on. He congratulated me for getting out of the succubus Vegas was. He even helped me box my things up, and he paid for the moving truck, to take my things back home.
I didn’t leave Vegas till almost a week later, when Mum had a place liner up for me, when my apartment was out of my hands, and my job was offered to someone else.
As I watched Vegas grow smaller and smaller in my rearview mirror, I didn’t feel any sadness, or guilt. I was happy. A smile tugged at my lips all the way to Huntington, the sun rising behind me.
I’d planned the trip. I wanted to be out of Vegas before the morning traffic, and I wanted to be in Huntington before anyone was truly awake. I wanted to surprise my friends, my family.
To my luck, the moving truck was out the front of my new home already by the time I pulled into the driveway. Mum had mailed me the key for the front door, the papers signed and in the records.
I opened the front door for the workers, apologizing to each one as they entered the house. It was early, and they didn’t start work till nine-am, but after a heated argument with the company owner, I managed to get a few men willing to do the job, for extra pay of course.
I instructed where I wanted things after taking a tour of the house. It was larger than my apartment, that was for sure. The kitchen was at least three times bigger than what I was used to.
I followed the men as they carried my bed upstairs, making sure they put it facing the window. I luckily got the only house on the street that had a window facing the sunset. Mum’s house could see the sunrise, which irritated me when I lived there. The house was always bright.
I walked out the front door, intending on following the next few men, who had my couch already lifted from the truck, but a few people caught my eye.
Down the street, people came walking over. Most were dressed in their pajamas, steaming coffee cups in their hands.
Only when they got closer, joining as a group in the middle of the street, I saw who they were.
Jimmy was the first to run over, laughing as he wrapped me in a hug quickly, before running into my new home. Matt followed Jimmy, giving me a smile as he passed.
Johnny limped over to me, his leg encased in a plaster.
‘What happened to you?’ I laughed as he sat on the arm chair in the back of the truck.

‘Fell out the window.’ He shrugged, laughing.
My Mum was the next to come over. She hugged me tight, rocking side to side.

‘I’ll go get him.’ She whispered, leaving me.
The rest of our neighbors came to greet me. Some remembered me while others, like Mr. Cahil, who was almost ninety, thought I was a fresh face. I let him off the hook, since he was suffering from Alzheimer’s.
The worker men came back out, picking up the arm chair Johnny was sitting in. He let out a shriek, gripping the arm rests as they carried him inside.

‘Careful! I don’t need another broken bone!’ He yelled as they maneuvered him through the front door, trying not to bang his leg against the frame.
I could see Jimmy and Matt upstairs, in the bathroom window. They were pulling faces at everyone on the lawn, before dashing into another room.

‘Mel, it’s not even eight. Why are you dragging me out of bed?’ Someone whined loudly, their voice practically echoing down the near quiet street.
I turned to face my mother, who was dragging, quite literally, Brian across the road. He worse a loose pair of pajama pants that barely clung to his hips, his boxers showing. An orange and yellow dressing gown hung haphazardly from his shoulders, the front open and bearing his naked chest. His eyes were closed, still half asleep, as Mum dragged him onto my new lawn, grabbing his arm tightly as he got closer to me, showing now signs of stopping.
The sudden jolt made his eyes fly open, one hand raised, as if to brace himself.
His eyes lingered over me for a second. I could see the cogs turning in his brain, a slight frown on his face.
‘Zack? I thought you left.’ He stated sadly, rubbing his eyes harshly before looking at me once more.

‘I did, but how can I stay away from my family? I love you guys too much.’ I smiled, sliding my arms around his waist, underneath the ugly dressing gown.
It took him a moment, but he wrapped his arms around me too, resting his head on top of mine.

‘Missed you.’ He whispered, his voice soft, and tired. I smiled, pecking his collarbone as I pulled away from him.

‘Trust me, I missed you too.’ I grinned.
Jimmy ran out of the house, stopping right next to me. His cheeks were flushed, probably from running through each room of my home.

‘Kiss, make up. We’re so decking this place out.’ He grinned, patting my back rather roughly. I shoved his shoulder playfully.

‘Maybe it’s time you all move out of home. You’re all getting a bit old to be living with Mummy and Daddy.’ I smirked, receiving a punch to the arm.

‘Hey, leave my boyfriend alone.’ Brian laughed, pushing Jimmy so hard, he almost stumbled over his own feet.

‘Boyfriend?’ I asked, an eyebrow raised as I turned back to Brian. He was smiling, his tired eyes half closed.

‘Yes, boyfriend.’ He whispered, leaning down to peck my lips softly. I couldn’t help but smile, my cheeks aching slightly.
‘And I’m borrowing your bed.’ He laughed, walking inside with me on his heels.
I didn’t need to show him where the main bedroom was. The house had belonged to a family friend before they moved onto a new home, in another state. As kids, we used to house-hop. One day we’d be on Brian’s front lawn, playing with toys and the sprinkler, next we’d be on mine. Even the houses that didn’t have kids, we still played on their lawn, the adults watching us.
Brian curled up on my bed after I’d thrown a sheet over the mattress and a few pillows down. He was asleep before I could pull out a blanket, so I draped it over him, smiling as I kissed his temple.

I was glad to be home. It felt like I never left. I still lived on the same street, only a few houses down.
Jimmy did “deck” my house out. The spare bedrooms were set up for guests, or more so, him and Matt. One room had nothing but bean bags and pillows thrown around, almost like a second carpet. The walls had been painted, by Jimmy. Instead of the subtle blue colour, they were painted a shocking red. It was a huge eye-fuck when you walked in. The colour just jumped out at you.
The other bedroom was set up for Matt. He’d taken the liberty to buy a water bed for himself, and shove it in the room. He’d decorated the room in posters and stickers.
Johnny, sadly, had to stay in Jimmy’s room if they all stayed at once, while Brian stayed with me.
I’d only put up a few posters and brought in my furniture. My room looked normal, compared to the others.
It was coming to the end of spring when Brian finally, and officially, moved in with me. Most of his clothes were at my house anyway, but when he’d brought over his guitars, that made it final. He was staying.
Mum visited often, bringing over dinner, because she didn’t think we could cook, and didn’t want us to starve, although we had Pizza Hut on speed dial.
Emma finally got my room. I gave her the key myself, once I’d gotten everything out of my old room. I left my old CD player though, and my laptop. I didn’t need them.
Shawn and I grew closer. I didn’t hate him as much, and when I expressed that to him, he said it was because I was no longer living with him. I had to agree.

It was a warm spring night when Brian dragged me from the house, telling me we needed to get out more. Without a word, I got in the car with him, taking a drive down the old dirt road, that lead to an abandoned mansion. Rumor was, it was haunted, and whoever went in, never came out. We destroyed that rumor as teenagers.

‘Why are we going down here?’ I asked quietly, watching as he turned down the dirt path. The sun was setting, casting a beautiful pink glow over the town.

‘You’ll see.’ He smiled, taking my hand as he drove. Just before the turn off towards the “haunted” mansion, a large row of trees erupted from the near darkness. It was hard to miss them. The leaves, both thick and large, were the colour of the sun. It looked like the side of the road was on fire, almost.
‘Aren’t they beautiful?’ Brian asked as we drove slowly down the road, both of us staring at the trees.
As we got further down, some of the leaves changed. Most were orange, while some were red and yellow.

‘What are they?’ I asked, truly curious. I wound my window down, taking in a deep breath. I loved the smell of spring. It was fresh, and new. The leaves on the tree gave off a scent I couldn’t quite place, but it was calming.
Brian pulled over to the side of the road, reversing so the front of the car face the vibrant trees.

‘Flame trees.’ Brian smiled, leaning over the console to kiss my lips. I unbuckled my seat belt so I could meet him halfway, pushing myself up onto my knees as I gripped his hair, pulling him closer.
‘Mm… Zack, come with me.’ He whispered against my lips, biting my bottom lip softly.
I stepped out of the car after Brian, meeting him at the hood. He slid back, so he was perched on the car, his head on the windshield. I climbed up after him, resting my head on his shoulder, holding his hand with my fingers entwined with his.
If I was with anyone else, we wouldn’t have stopped to look at the trees, but Brian could appreciate the beauty of nature, like I did.

‘They’re so bright.’ I whispered after a moment of silence. The road was quiet, only a few crickets playing their songs.

‘And there's nothing else that could set fire to this town.’ Brian smiled, kissing the top of my head.