Status: finne. comments are love. (if you loved this story, go check out my new one: http://stories.mibba.com/read/441994/Growing-Up/ ) first chapter up soon.

You Picked Me

three/four

The second time was in tenth grade and we were both sixteen. Our parents gave us more freedom because sixteen was the age that all parents realised that they can't hold on to their little kids forever and they have to start letting them go. We had later curfews, were allowed to go out with our boyfriends and girlfriends more often (which actually implied that we could now have them, because if you can't go out on a date, what's the point of "dating" the person you like?). And I dated Kennedy.

That was a big deal for John.

He was always protective over me, like an older brother and a father mixed into one human being that was my best friend. No one was ever good enough for me, no one could touch me, I wasn't allowed to talk to any boy that John didn't know, he had to approve. And he didn't approve of me dating his friend and band mate.

Part of me knew what I was getting into with that one, but I still didn't care. This was my first huge crush and boy was I crushing hard on Kenny. At night, when I was delusional with sleep, there was no one else I wanted more in the world.

John loathed us the entire time Kenny and I were together. And eventually I realised I didn't like Kenny all that much and most of me was only dating him because I knew it got under John's skin. Which after he told me that he got to decide who I could and couldn't date, I wanted to rip all his skin off.

Eventually we all got over it (mainly because Kenny and I broke up and became friends again). And John and I were on speaking terms again. It was the biggest fight we had ever had and I wasn't too eager to get into another one. For years we didn't fight at all. We didn't even bicker over the small things. But alas, peace doesn't last forever.

Image


“I can’t believe you’re dating Kennedy, Avery. You knew that would make me mad, why’d you even say yes?!” John yelled at me.

“Because I like him! Sorry that I have a crush, John, jeesh. I thought you would approve, he is your friend isn’t he?”

“He is. But I didn’t mean for you to date my friends! Just go find someone else to date. It makes everything awkward when friends date each other,” he all but growled as we walked home.

He kicked rocks out of his path as we made our way home. We didn’t exchange any words even though I knew John was dying to get on me some more about Kennedy. Eventually, my house came into sight and we slowed down.

“You’ll just have to deal with it, John… I like Kennedy and I’m dating him,” was the last thing I said before I walked up to my front porch. I peered behind me as I unlocked my door and watched him kick nothing before he stalked off to his house, cursing under his breath.

Image


The bowling alley was filled with noise as we walked in and paid for two lanes and some rental shoes. We were out on a friends night and our whole group was here (John, Kennedy, Garrett, Pat, Jared, and I). Kennedy and I had been dating for two months now, and though this wasn’t the reason we were out, I celebrated a little inside at the fact.

Garrett led us down to the end where our lanes were and we all headed over to the rental shoe area after we set our stuff down.

“What size?” the woman behind the desk asked me.

“Eights.”

She handed me a beaten up pair of cream and red coloured bowling shoes. I felt myself being lifted up and Kennedy grinned at me, putting me on top of the counter, taking my shoes from me and kneeling down.

“Let me tie these for you,” he winked at me.

I tried to hide the blush creeping onto my cheeks and just nodded. He slid my shoes off and put the other ones on and tied them for me, making sure they were just right before helping me get down. He held onto my hand and led me back to the alley. I could hear John scoffing behind me but I just ignored him, I wasn’t going to let him dampen my mood tonight.

“Okay, who’s ready for me to kick their ass?” Garrett asked, clapping his hands together.

“We’ll see, Gare Bear, we’ll see,” I told him.

It was a mean competition between all of us to see who could out do each other. It didn’t matter if we sucked, we put all our skills into trying to beat each other. John and Kennedy were tied for first. Something told me that life was just trying to be funny, but I wasn’t amused. John was pissed because he still hated Kennedy for asking me out and he just wanted to beat him at something without physically beating him. Kennedy was just grinning from ear to ear because he knew how much he was angering John.

John pulled his arm back and took a step forward, letting the ball free from his grasp and hit the slick floor. It rolled down the long alley and eventually hit the middle pin, making the rest of them fall over.

“Strike! Fuck yes!” he cheered.

Kennedy just smirked and picked up another ball, readying himself at the lane. He swung and let the ball fly and roll down the alley. Nine of the pins fell over and the last one stood wobbling dangerously before it stood still. John cheered and gloated about beating him.

“Fuck off, John,” I said and he only smirked stupidly at me.

“Just ignore him, Ave,” Kennedy said, pulling me away.

We took off our shoes and traded them for our own and headed for the arcade. I went straight for skee-ball, it was my talent. I could easily beat anyone at this game.

“Why is he such a dick? Oh my god,” I asked no one in particular, just wanting to vent.

“Because he likes you,” Kennedy stated.

“Whatever. He’s such an ass to me all the time about us, like it matters. I’m not dating him! He shouldn’t have to be so into what I’m doing,” I muttered, picking up a small ball and tossing it up the ramp and into the fifty shot hole.

“That’s why he’s so pissed at you. Because you’re not dating him.”

I turned to Kennedy and he shrugged like it was common knowledge.

“What the hell does that mean?”

“It means what it sounds like. He’s the only guy he’ll ever let you date, and you’re not dating him, so he’s pissed. He doesn’t want you with any other guy but he’s too chickenshit to ask you out himself so when other people move in it’s like the whole world ends for him.”

I never thought of it that way, but the idea of John liking me just seemed to… impossible. We were just friends and he was jealous, that’s all it was. And to be honest, the only reason Kennedy and I made it this long (besides him being utterly gorgeous) was that we both wanted to get under John’s skin for personal reasons. I just wanted to get back at him for the first time we fought with each other.

“Ave… I think, you knew it was coming so don’t hit me please, that we should just call it quits. To be honest, I kind of just see you as my friend now. Albeit a super fucking hot friend but… you get it right,” Kennedy seemed to read my mind.

“Yeah Kens, I get it,” I smiled.

And just like that Kennedy and I were over.

Image


“I’m so happy I could kiss you right now,” John cheered as he drove me home.

“Shuddup. You got what you wanted now just be quiet.”

He was silent for a minute, taking quick glances over at me.

“Are you pissed at me, Avey?”

“No, John,” I sighed.

He smiled and leaned over to squeeze my hand. I returned his smile and squeezed his hand before letting it go and returning to looking out the window.

“Good, because I’m tired of fighting with my best friend.”

“Me too, John, me too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
i didn't get it out saturday as i had planned, but i was out shopping all day that day. damn last minute christmas shopping. anyway, sunday works too, right?

tell me what you think.

and none of you told me if you have a cat or not... so do you have a dog?

next chapter should be up by wednesday at the latest.

x becca