Secret Admirer

Christmas Party

-Jen's POV-

I stood by the bar with a drink in my hand. My father was throwing his annual Christmas party. He'd been doing these parties for my entire life and even before. Everyone from my family was here except for my brother Shane who was in Europe taking care of some business. I'd give anything to be there with him instead of at this party.

My name is Jenna DeLuca and I am the daughter of the most well known crime boss in the country.

As I looked around the large reception hall I noticed my brother Dominic was keeping a close eye on things while Jared was talking business with a man I had never seen before.

"Bored?"

Looking up I sighed and took a sip of my drink. "Is it that obvious?"

"Go home then. I'm sure you'd rather be with Matthew anyway."

I smiled as I thought about my little boy. He was at home being watched by my two younger brothers Michael and Nathan. "Of course I would Brad but we both know Dad would have a fit if I left. God forbid he couldn't show off his little girl."

Brad chuckled softly. "Then go outside and get some air. I'll cover for you."

Without a word I found the nearest exit before making my way outside. It was pretty chilly out and I had made the mistake of not bringing a coat but I didn't let it stop me. Reaching into my clutch I pulled out a cigarette and placed it between my lips. I went back in for a lighter and groaned once I realized I had left it at home.

"Need a light?"

Looking up I nearly let the cancer stick fall to the ground as I stared into a pair of brown eyes. The man smiled at me before lighting my cigarette. I had never seen this man before and wondered if he was one of my Dad's new clients.

"A pretty girl like you shouldn't be smoking." He said as he lit his own. "So did you get dragged to this thing too?"

"Yes. I get dragged here every year." I paused to blow the smoke away. "I've never seen you before. Is this your first DeLuca Christmas party?"

He nodded. "Yep. I'm Brian by the way."

"Jenna but please call me Jen." I said as I placed my hand into his.

"Nice to meet you Jen." He said bringing my hand up and place a soft kiss on my knuckles.

Brian and I made small talk as we finished our cigarette's. I really didn't want to go back inside but I knew if I didn't my Dad would send one of my brothers after me.

"I should really head back inside. It was nice meeting you Brian."

"Pleasure was all mine. Have a nice evening Jen."

"You too."

I left him with a smile before heading back inside. As soon as I stepped into the room I noticed my father with a microphone in his hands. It was time for a long and boring speech where he discussed how good the business was, his future plans, and how thankful he was that no one had been killed this past year.

"Jenna sweetheart could you come up here and join me please?"

I noticed all eyes were on me as I made my way through the crowd and stood next to my father. I had no idea what he was up to and in a way I was a bit scared. He had never called me onto the stage with him before.

"As you know this is my beautiful daughter, Jenna, and I'd like to take this time to have a moment of silence for a young man who was a big part of my daughter's life. Nick Zacchara was not someone I liked at first in fact I hated him but not my Jenna. She fell in love with him and together they created a beautiful life. My grandson Matthew but he will never know his Dad because he was gunned down. I want the son of a bitch who did it to die. He'll pay for leaving my grandson without a father and for my daughter's broken heart. So let's take this time to remember Nick."

Everyone raised their glasses and took a moment of silence for my dead boyfriend who never knew about Matthew. He was killed three weeks before I found out I was pregnant.

I smiled over at Nick's parents who were seated at a nearby table. Nick was their only son and were devastated when he was killed. When they found out about Matthew I promised them that he could be in their lives and I've never broke that promise. I want Matthew to know where he came from.

My dad let me leave the party early and I headed straight home. The second I walked in the door it was complete chaos as Michael and Nathan were in the living room playing video games.

"Your kid is a pain in the ass." Michael said dropping his control onto the floor and getting to his feet.

Nathan paused the game and looked up at him. "You're just mad because he likes me more than you." He turned to me. "He's out like a light. Been asleep for almost an hour."

"Thank you for watching him. Now will you two please keep it down so he doesn't wake up."

Nathan nodded while Michael rolled his eyes. I headed up the stairs to Matthew's nursery and smiled down at my son as he slept in his crib. He was such a good baby and I was so glad he was mine. After I lost Nick I didn't think I could go on but once Matthew came into my life I knew I could. He kept me going. He was my rock and I would never allow anyone in this world to hurt him.

My thoughts drifted to the man I had met earlier tonight. Brian. I don't know why I was thinking of him but it brought a smile to myself. He seemed like such a nice guy but I had learned over time that a lot of people pretended to be nice just to get something out of you.

It had been a long time since I had met a decent man and I really wanted Brian to be one. The last decent guy I had known was now dead. Sighing I took one last look at Matthew before heading across the hall to my bedroom.

I was pretty tired and just wanted to change into my pajamas and go to bed but before I could even make it to my closet my door opened and Jared walked into my room.

"Who was that guy you were talking to?"

"What guy?" I asked slipping off my heels.

"The one I saw you talking to outside."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You were spying on me?"

"No. I was keeping my eye on you there's a difference." He crossed his arms over his chest. "Stay away from him Jenna."

"Why?"

"Because you don't know him."

I rolled my eyes. "I don't know a lot of people Jared."

"This isn't a joke Jenna. You don't know what he's capable of."

"And you do?" I asked turning my body to face him.

"I have a pretty good idea. Think about it. We've never seen the guy before and he just randomly shows up at Dad's Christmas party? He's up to something."

"Unless you have proof please just shut up and get out of my room."

Shaking his head Jared turned on his heel and stormed out of my room. I was happy when he didn't slam my door and proceeded to take my pajamas out of my dresser drawer. My brothers had a habit of just barging in to my room so I quickly locked my door before changing.

This wasn't the first time Jared had warned me to stay away from someone. In fact it happened all the time. He didn't trust anyone and always thought that someone was out to get me. I know he's just being protective but it gets old quickly.

I can't wait until I get out of this house so I can make a fresh start. One that does not involve my father's business.
♠ ♠ ♠
Trying something new again. More soon!

Jen's Background and Family

Comment and Subscribe..

Jen
DeLuca Home
Matthew's Nursery
Jen's Bedroom