Born for This

Hallelujah

"So. First things first. How old are you?" Hayley was always ready to get busy.

"I'm 20. I'll be 21 next month."

"Alright! Party with the band!" Jeremy and Taylor gave each other a high five.

"Jerm, hush! Sorry Alexx. He's still a bit of a kid even though he's the oldest out of all of us." She shot him another look.

The guys got up and Taylor turned to me. "We'll be right back, okay Alexx?" I just nodded and turned back to Hayley.

"Anyways, you're 20. Are you in school?"

"Actually I am. I have another semester after this one and I'll be graduating."

"Awesome! What are you going for?"

"I'm majoring in graphic design."

"That sounds pretty cool. Maybe you could help us design some merch."

I laughed. "I think I could work something up."

"Sweet! So do you have a job or anything?"

"I do. I work for my university."

"Convenient. I get it. But you do realize you'll have to quit right?"

I hadn't thought about that. I liked my job. No, I loved it. I designed every thing for them. From the logo to signs around campus. "I guess you're right."

"Well don't sound so sad! Touring will be fun!"

"Oh I know! It's just I got to work in PhotoShop every day. But there's only one thing I love more than PhotoShop, and that's the drums." My eyes closed and I took a deep breath. I could feel the sticks in my hands, the pedals under my feet. I could hear the sounds of a crowd cheering.

Hayley's voice broke me out of my fantasy. "I can tell. I can't wait to hear what you have for us. So now that we have those out of the way, I want to ask you about your living arrangements."

I'm sure a confused look came across my face. "What about them?"

"Alexx.. Your life is changing. You won't be able to live in Memphis anymore. We'll need you to move here so that we can write together. Practice together. At whatever time we need you. I know it seems like a lot so fast, but we have to move fast since the public knows we had auditions. They'll want to hear new music and see us perform. Do you live alone?"

I was silent for a minute. "Yes."

"Perfect. The signing bonus will pay for all of your moving expenses and we can get you here by next--"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. One, I get a bonus?! Two, you expect me to move within a week? And third, I get a bonus?"

She laughs. "Of course you do, silly! How else are you supposed to get everything you need? We need to find you a good drum set, get you lots of sticks, get you a make over--"

"Hayley, I have my own drum set. I'd prefer to be able to use that one. I think my look is fine, but I could use a haircut. And where is Optimus supposed to go when I'm on tour? I can't just leave him at home."

"Who's Optimus," questioned Jeremy. The boys had made it back to the table.

"Yeah, who is Optimus?" Hayley slapped my arm playfully.

"Oh, he's just my pit puppy. He's adorable!" A smile had started to spread across my face.

"A dog?! You can't have a dog! There's no way to take care of it while we're gone and you are NOT bringing it on the bus."

"Hayley! Be nice!" Jeremy always seemed to come to my rescue. "Alexx I'm sorry. She's not a big dog person."

"It's okay, I guess. I just don't want to get rid of him. Is there a good boarding place around here?" The whole band dropped their heads. "What?"

Taylor looked up at me. "Alexx, none of us have had any pets in so long. There's no time to take care of them. We know nothing about boarding."

"Well I'll find something. I'm not losing him. He's like my baby."

"Just do what you need to do Alexx. Just know I will never be around him." I go to stand up so I could leave again but Hayley grabbed my arm. "Alexx I'm sorry. I really am. I've just had bad experiences with dogs. You can keep him if you really want to."

"Thank you Hayley. I'm glad I have your permission to keep my pet." I pulled my arm from her grip. "You guys have my number right?" They nod their heads. "Call me when I need to sign something. I'm going back to my hotel to think. Do you know when the paperwork will be ready?"

"Oh it's already ready." Hayley pulled out a thick manilla envelope and handed it to me. "Take this, look it over, read everything. Ev-ry-thing. We'll call or text you with the time and place to meet up tomorrow. Just make sure you bring it, signed." She smiled at the last part. The band got up and each of them gave me a hug before I walked out of the door.

As I walked back to my hotel I pulled my phone out of my pocket and checked my messages. I only had a single text from Madison. Call me. ASAP

Oh lord, what now?
I thought to myself. I hit her picture and my phone immediately dialed her number. It rang once.

"Thank god. It took you long enough. Where are you?"

"I'm still in Nashville. I should be back late tomorrow night. But guess what!" I could barely contain my excitement.

"What, she said flatly.

"I got the part!"

"What part?"

"I'm going to be the new drummer for Paramore!"

"Awesome." was all she said before she hung up.

Seriously, what the fuck was her problem? She was really starting to get on my nerves. My phone vibrated. It was her.

Oh. Optimus has shit all over your apartment. And he's out of food. Might want to pick some up tomorrow.

I didn't even bother to reply. I wasn't in the mood to put up with her shit. I mean, I just found out that I'm going to be in Paramore! What could be any better than that?

After arriving back at the hotel and reading through the contract, I, of course, signed it. I found out that the "bonus" I get is $100,000. Which is supposed to cover moving expenses, if necessary, new equipment, new clothes, and a full make over. Luckily I only needed a few of those things. The contract also said that I'm not supposed to make it publicly known that they'd picked new band members. They want to wait and make it a big surprise on the cover of a magazine or something. Fine by me.

I heard my phone buzzing so I picked it up. It was a text. I didn't recognize the number, but I clicked 'Read' anyway.

Alexx! It's Jeremy. I just wanted to let you know that we're meeting at Cafe CoCo tomorrow at noon. See you there?

Of course, Jeremy. Good night.
I changed into my pajamas and crawled in the bed. Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

When I woke up I packed up everything from my hotel room. It was hard trying to get everything to fit in my bag since I had bought so much new stuff since I'd been here, but I finally got everything stuffed in. The zipper looked like it was going to bust open if anything was to touch it. I picked up my bag and purse and walked out the door. The girl at the front desk was the same one as the last time I tried to check out.

"Will you actually be checking out this time?"

I blushed. "Yes. My trip to Nashville is over. For now."

She hands me the paperwork. "Well thanks for staying with us. Have a good day."

As I was trudging my stuff to my car I realized that I had no idea where this Cafe CoCo was. I immediately pulled out my phone and GPSed it. It was about a 5 minute drive away. Not too bad. I got in my car and as soon as I put it in reverse my phone buzzes. It's Jeremy.

Alexx, where are you? You're still coming right?

I looked at the clock on the radio. It was only 11:50. I still had plenty of time. I'm leaving the hotel now. And yes I'm coming. It's not even 12 yet. Chill lol

I just wanted to make sure we still had our drummer.


Cafe CoCo was surprisingly easy to find. I pulled into the parking lot and got out of my car. I walked up to the front door and immediately saw the band. The moment I walked in the door Jeremy jumped up out of his seat and practically ran over to me and pulled me into a giant bear hug.

"I thought you weren't coming!"

"Uh hi Jeremy. And I told you I was. Why wouldn't I?"

"Maybe you thought it wasn't for you? I don't know. I'm just glad you came. Come. Sit!"

I walked over to the table and sat in the empty seat. I greeted and looked around at everyone. There were only four of us. "Wait. Where's the guitarist? You did have auditions for one, right?"

Taylor nodded. "We did. But you were the only one we felt that was worthy enough to be in our band."

My mouth popped open. "You're kidding right? You can't be serious."

Hayley laughed. "We're completely serious. Plus we didn't want to take away from your spotlight. We could possibly have one of the greatest drummers of all time right in front of us. You can't be covered up by someone else being new also."

"Guys this is crazy. I'm not that good of a drummer." They just sat and stared at me in silence. I put the contract on the table. "Here. It's signed and everything."

Hayley took it from me and looked it over to make sure everything was in place. "Do you have any questions about anything?"

"I don't think so. Well actually I was wondering when I would get the bonus? I have to have that in order to be able to move."

Hayley hands me a check and smiles. "You get it now! Sorry it's not more of a big deal or anything. But trust me, your celebration will come. As soon as we announce that we've picked our new drummer and we drop your name, it will be press conference after press conference. Photo shoot after photo shoot. I really hope you'll be able to keep up."

It didn't sound particularly exciting, but I knew that it was going to have to happen. "Might as well just get it over and done with. When are you announcing it?"

"I've already sent out an email. But we won't say anything about you until you get settled in here. Just to make sure you get comfortable with everything."

"Makes sense. I appreciate that." I looked at my phone. It was starting to get late. "Well guys, I need to get going. I have quite a drive ahead of me."

The band stood up and each of them gave me a hug goodbye and told me they'd see me next week. Jeremy offered to walk me to my car. "Sorry about Taylor in there. He's still kinda upset about the whole Zac and Josh thing. He feels bad replacing them. But at the same time he's glad that we're a full band again. It'll just take some getting used to."

I swat my hand as if to bat it away. "It's fine. I understand. Even I wasn't happy about someone taking their places. And here I am, the one doing it. But I really do have to go. Text me if you guys need anything, okay?"

He gives me another quick hug. "Will do!" He turns and heads back inside. I get in my car and drive off.

Three and a half hours later, I pulled into the parking lot of my apartment building. I gathered all of my stuff out of my car and hauled it to the elevator. I hit the button for the third floor and wait for it to come to a stop. I walked to my door and sat my bag on the floor. I dug through my purse until I found my keys. I put the key in the lock and opened the door. My body instantly filled with the darkest anger any human could possibly have.
♠ ♠ ♠
Boring chapter.. I'm sorry.
I'm just glad to be back :3