The Salt Flats

Words.

I write this for you, create a world in words for you. Only you, the one who brought the faith in my life, the one who keeps me going. Not the faith in God, not in some higher power, not even in myself, more like faith in humanity. You ever look at the people around you and think there is no hope in them? You changed that.

You showed love and beauty and caring, and you made me feel safe and protected and warm.

No-one else made me feel so wanted.

I want there to be a place for the two of us, where we can be together and people don’t try to hurt us. A place where you love me as much as I love you.

I really doubt that’s possible.

Which is why we’re here. In my world I fashioned out of words just for you. You don’t know it, but you’re here with me and we’re happy. We have everything we need, and you can laugh at me for growing that Wizard’s Fern plant in our window box, even though it’s getting out of control, and neither of us can be bothered to prune it; and I can laugh at you for trying and ultimately failing to leave notes on the mirror when you shower. It’s not an ultimate paradise with no death, no concrete and no pain, it’s where I want us to be. A small place that’s just ours, a haven where it’s not us alone all the time, a real world in my heart where we work and laugh and cry and bitch and come home and it’s all alright again.

You need to believe me that this is just an escape, not somewhere I’m going to take us. No crazy suicide pact to go to my universe, just somewhere I want you to know about. My happy place, you’re there I know, but that’s my version of you. You can visit any time you want.

I’m writing this for you.

Because you gave me hope.

You made me love.

I’m not giving up, because we have somewhere for just us.

Join me.