Status: Active

The Fabulous Killjoys Second Generation: The Fantastic Rock 'N' Rollers

001.

BEGIN TRANSMISSION
“The Killjoys were real superheroes.” Grace said, leaning forward as her young audience watched in what may have been awe. She was sitting on her front porch, overlooking the desert. The scenery hadn’t changed much in the past 20 years, even though the world had. “They were colorful and had codenames, secret identities to protect their friends and families.”
“No way.” Breathed Lee, a twelve-year-old who’d inherited her mother’s afro. “They were real?”
Her brother, Ryan, a lanky nine-year-old, simply mouthed “icy” as he drank in the story.
“Of course they were real!” Grace said, then motioned her children to lean in closer, as if for a secret. “And your Grandpas and I were some of them.”
“No way!” Shrieked Lee, jumping up. “You’re lame and old! No way were you and Grandpa Gee Killjoys!”
“Betcha Grandpa Ray was an awesome Killjoy.” Ryan nodded solemnly.
“Just Grandpa Ray?” A familiar man grinned, mounting the porch steps to see the three tumbleweeds enjoying a lazy desert afternoon. His hair was no longer a fire engine red, but a vibrant, cobalt blue. It had been purple for a time, many years ago, before he’d finally settled on the new shade.
“Grandpa Gee!” The two children practically jumped the man, who hugged them both before joining them as they sat on the floor with their mother.
“Were the Killjoys real?”
“Were you really a Killjoy?”
“Were they really Fabulous?”
“Who were they?” The questions tumbled forward in a confused jumbled from the two excited motor babies, and Gerard laughed, hushing them.
“Yes, the Killjoys were very real.” He grinned crookedly at them, and the two children sat unnaturally still, having waited years to hear the story. They were sick of “when you’re older,” and now tried to act mature enough to sit through the tale.
Gerard could see right through them, and his grin widened. “Well, I don’t know if you’re old enough yet….”
“Grandpa Gee!” The pair whined, indignant and disappointed. “Please, you gotta tell us!” Lee continued, bouncing slightly where she sat. “We’ve waited forever! I’m almost a teenager and everything!”
“Well…” Gerard grinned wickedly, trading a look with Grace, who simply nodded. It was time for them to learn. “Alright.”
“A long time ago, all the way back in 2019, the world ended.” Gerard began. “Better Living Industries set fires to flush everyone out of hiding, destroying everything but their precious cities. They took over the world from Battery City.”
“Is that why you never take us to the city when we go to Wolf Blood Beach?” Lee interjected, looking at her mother, but Grace shushed her, listening as raptly as her son.
“In Battery City, everyone was fed pills. Pills that made them blank.” Gerard said darkly. “There was no color, everyone wore the same things, and no music was allowed.”
The two children looked properly scandalized by the information, but held their tongues.
“But not everyone was one of the blank Dracs working for Better Living.” The man continued, a far-off light sparking in his eyes as his gaze grew distant, taking him back to happier times, times when he was young and spry and part of a revolution that changed the world. “There were the Killjoys.”
“The Killjoys were colorful, wild, they didn’t follow rules other than making it through the day while killing as many Dracs as they saw. They had their secret names and Killjoy names, and some were better known than others. The Fabulous Killjoys were the most famous, daring, and wild of all the Killjoys. They were the best of the best, and they were the ones who put an end to Better Living to take the world back.” Gerard said, sitting back as if done with his tale.
“But who werethey?” Ryan demanded, wide-eyed as ever.
“The Fabulous Killjoys? Ah, let’s see, Dr. Death Defying was the leader, the pirate radio DJ who spread the Slaughtermatic Sounds across the Zones.” Gerard recounted. “There was Jet Star, one of the toughest rock ‘n’ rollers on the dust. The Kobra Kid was brilliant, and he always had a plan. Fun Ghoul was great with mechanics, and he was always the most fun. Boom Box was the little girl they sort of adopted, and Party Poison fancied himself as Dr. Death Defying’s Beta. Suicidal Smile was one of them, too.” Gerard sighed.
“What happened to them?” Lee asked, entranced by the story.
“Suicidal Smile died during the Awesome Audio Assault she planned. Better Living’s secret weapon himself killed her. She came up with the plan on how to wake everyone up, out of their pills. She pulled off a lot of missions that would have ghosted a tougher Killjoy, but she always pulled through.” Gerard sighed. “Fun Ghoul and the Kobra Kid went missing in an uprising of city mice, years before you were born. The one-time Dracs were in withdrawal and couldn’t deal with life without their pills. They must have killed Fun Ghoul and Kobra in the ambush, 18 Dracs against the two of them.”
“Oh,no.” Lee breathed as Ryan frowned sadly. The younglings were used to bedtime stories with happy endings.
“Dr. Death Defying finally ghosted about 14 years ago. He was an old man when the war started, and it finally caught up with him.” Gerard sighed, running a hand through his hair.
“What about… what about the other ones?” Ryan whispered, almost afraid to ask.
“Boom Box and Party Poison?” Gerard asked. “That’s us. I was Party, your mom here was Boom Box, our little tag-along.” The man grinned at Grace as the two children stared in open-mouthed shock.
“You were Fabulous Killjoys?” Lee asked in disbelief.
“Your Grandpa Ray was Jet Star.” Grace added, and the kids looked delighted with themselves.
“Our grandpas were the Fabulous Killjoys!” Ryan grinned.
“Our mom was the best girl Killjoy!” Lee cheered, always a feminist.
“Not quite.” Grace smiled sadly, shaking her head. “That was Suicidal Smile. She was the best of us all.”
Lee cocked her head to one side. “I wish I could have met her.”

-X-

5 Years Later
“Lee, Ryan, wake up.” Grace insisted urgently. “Hurry, and get dressed.”
The two teenagers rubbed their eyes and grumbled as they got up, pulling on whatever clothes they found before stumbling out of their respective rooms.
In the hallway, their mother thrust small backpacks into each of their hands, followed by ray guns.
“…Mom? What’s going on?” Lee asked slowly as she stared at the gun, her brother’s eyes wide as he, too, took in what was happening.
“Come on, I packed up enough food to keep us going for a while. Get in the car, we have to go get your Grandpas.” Grace said, unintentionally ignoring the question. She had her own ray gun in its holster, and an age-worn, black leather bag on her back. She lead the way out to the car, running as quickly and sneakily as she could through the desert dawn until she reached the car; an ancient, graffiti-covered Trans Am, the inner workings of which had been completely restored several times over. The three of them piled in, Lee taking shotgun as her brother slid into the backseat, their mom not even asking if they were buckled before tearing off down the dusty road.
Grace screeched to a stop in front of the ranch-style house, not bothering to cut the engine before bolting out the door, calling ‘stay put!’ over her shoulder to her children, who were stunned enough to listen for once.
Barely a minute later, Grace was coming back out of the house, Gerard and Ray hot on her heels. Gerard wore a yellow mask and clutched his ray gun tightly, Ray was wearing a motorcycle helmet and held his own ray gun.
The three of them ran down the porch steps, skipping the last few, and dove into the car, Gerard taking the wheel as Ray and Grace slid in next to Ryan.
“They’ll come after us first, I already saw the fly on the wall.” Grace was saying, obviously continuing whatever she’d been saying when she burst into her adopted fathers’ house.
“Mom! What’s going on?” Lee demanded, finally on the verge of hysteria. She was unused to situations like this, having been raised in a very relaxed home out in the middle of the desert.
Everyone sat in silence for a moment, and Gerard glanced at her out the corner of his eye.
“Well, you know Nirvana Inc; right?” Gerard asked carefully, his tone measured.
“Yeah, they’re responsible for most of the food production in the western Zones.” Ryan chimed in, not sure what was happening.
“Well, they just made their first wrong move.” Gerard said. “Our inside sources have been watching all major corporations since Better Living fell. Our source from Nirvana lost touch for a while, and just got to us now. They had her captive, apparently, and she just broke out and sent us word that Nirvana’s controlling all the other major corporations in the world. They’ve been passing out happy pills in the city water and food, just like Better Living.” Gerard took a deep breath before continuing on. “In fact, Nirvana’s run by supposedly reformed Blind Bats, and they have a list of all known former Killjoys.” Gerard’s eyes hardened as his grip on the steering wheel tightened. “It’s an extermination list, just like back during the war. And the Fabulous Killjoys are at the top.”
Lee and Ryan gaped at Gerard.
“In short, Better Living is back, and everyone in the city is brainwashed again.” Ray finally spoke up. “Kids, start thinking up names.”

Lee and Ryan traded looks as they sat off in the shadows, their grandpas and mom sitting closer to the fire, where they were heating up PowerPup. The adults were conversing in harsh, quiet tones, already planning. They needed to find others, to tackle this problem before it began.
“Black Bandit.” Ryan said suddenly, and Lee looked at him in confusion, away from the mysterious conversation they were being left out of. “That can be you; you’re all Goth. You can be the Black Bandit.”
“What about you?” Lee asked softly, her eyes wide. Ryan was the one who had always wanted to be a real Killjoy. He was the one who pretended bits of tumbleweeds were ray guns, taking aim at boulders that were somehow associated with Better Living. He had always wanted the anonymity, the danger, the excitement. Lee just wanted to live her life, content to simply exist. She just wanted to coast through everything, no radical ups and downs. “What will you be?”
“I dunno… maybe I’ll be Vendetta or something. Rorschach? Twist?”
“I think you should be Fender Bender.” Lee quipped, referring to her brother’s first and last attempt at driving. She blinked in surprise when her brother grinned excitedly, nodding.
“Yeah, I like that. The Black Bandit and Fender Bender, the Dynamic Duo.” He said, his eyes taking on a shine as he pictured them doing great things, more superheroes than vigilantes.
“Batman and Robin are the Dynamic Duo. Think of something else.” Lee said, trying to hold back her grin. Her younger brother’s enthusiasm was catching, and she could feel excitement building slightly in the pit of her stomach. She remembered the glory of all the Killjoy stories she’d heard since the first. She’d always asked about Suicidal Smile, and prided herself on being just as tough as the girl. Now, she would have a chance to emulate her. “What if we’re… the Terrible Two?”
“That sounds evil.” Ryan scowled, then sighed, thinking. “They were the Fabulous Killjoys… what if we’re… Fantastic? We could be the Fantastic… Fantastic…” He struggled for a word other than ‘Killjoy,’ but he was failing to find an alternative.
“The Rock ‘n’ Rollers.” Lee said, and Ryan looked up in shock, grinning incredulously.
“Dude, that’s perfect!” He agreed enthusiastically. “The Black Bandit and Fender Bender, the Fantastic Rock ‘n’ Rollers!
Lee nodded, grinning. The idea was growing on her, slowly but surely. She stood up, ready to go to the adults with their codenames, and squinted. Across the fire, on the very edges of the dancing illumination, a shadow was lurking in the darkness. Ryan stood up next to her, looking, and his eyes widened when he spotted the shadow.
“A Drac! A real, live Drac!” Ryan whispered excitedly, drawing his ray gun. He started to run forward, but Lee grabbed his arm, yanking him back.
“Mom! There’s something out there!” She yelled, and Grace looked up at her children as Gerard and Ray looked in the direction the kids were staring, already drawing their guns. The shadow knew it had been spotted, and a white gun flashed in the firelight as it drew, but it was outshot by the two tried and true Killjoys sitting beside the fire.
The shadow fell face-first into the dust with a final groan of pain, and Lee winced when he landed with a pathetic thump, a sad cloud of red dust rising halfheartedly around him.
Gerard stood up and walked over, kicking the figure over onto his back. The Killjoy stared down at the masked man, his eyes cold as he took it in.
The man wore a mask from the vintage Scream movies, and was wearing a light grey jumpsuit, similar to the ones worn by Dracs 25 years before. The patch on his arm showed a smiley face with a simple bat as its mouth, wings outstretched to form the smile. That was the insignia for Nirvana Inc.
“It’s starting.” Gerard said softly, looking at Ray and Grace, then zeroing in on the kids, who were staring at the Scream in shock. “Kids, this is going to be normal. Get used to it.”
Ryan swallowed hard, realizing for the first time that Dracs were more than masks; there were people wearing them. Lee just stared at the man on the ground in horror, wondering who he was before the mask. Had he had a family? Pets? Goals? Did he like his job before this? What sort of music did he listen to? What had he really wanted out of life, to do before he was ghosted? Lee blinked furiously, covering her mouth with her hands in horror. I’m not cut out for this. She realized, knowing it meant she would be nothing but dead weight for her family. I’m sorry, Suicidal Smile. I won’t ever be like you.

TRANSMISSION INTERRUPTED
♠ ♠ ♠
I get that this story's been dead for a long time... but what else can I do? I can't exactly poke the characters with a stick, so I'm stirring shit back up.
And the freshly-stirred shit is about to hit the fan.
XOXO