Status: Senior year of college, be patient with me.

The Fallen Angels

Boggart in the Wardrobe

I woke late the next morning. Everyone in my dorm was gone. Sighing I jumped up and quickly got dressed. I grabbed my school bag and picked up Nanukk before running down the steps to the common room and out of the portrait hole. I jogged up to the Great Hall and plopped down at the Slytherin table.

"I'm surprised you'd even try and show your face around here anymore, Malenthrope," Pansy sneered.

"Not in the mood, Pug-Face," I sighed grabbing some food while Nanukk jumped down onto the table.

"Ew!" Pansy screeched jumping away from the table. "What is that?!"

I rolled my eyes, "It's a fox, Pansy."

"It's a wild animal!" She whined. "Why is it here?!"

"Quit your squealing, Miss Parkinson. I allowed the fox and I won't hear another word about it," Snape snapped walking past.

I snickered and stood back up taking Nanukk with me to my first hour class. Charms. I walked up the stairs with Nanukk on my arm, chattering away as I wiggled my fingers at him. He chewed on my fingers with his little teeth while I giggled at him.

"What's his name?"

I took a glance at Draco through my bangs. "Nanukk." I said looking back to the little fox.

"When did you get him?"

"Last night," I mutter.

“Are you okay?” He asked, frowning.

“I’m fine,” I frown.

"Abby!" I looked over and smiled at Hermione as she ran up to me.

"Oh, um," she frowned looking at Draco. He sneered at her but I stepped between the two of them.

"What's up, Hermione?" I smiled.

Her smile re-appeared. "Well, I heard you had a new pet and I wanted to see him," she giggled petting Nanukk. "Where are you off to?"

"Charms. You?" I ask.

"Me too," she smiled. "Come on," she said looping an arm through mine.

I let her drag me away. I looked over my shoulder and saw Draco staring after us. I bit my lip, frowning, feeling a little guilty about not talking to him, but I shrugged it off, focusing back on Hermione.

******

I sat in the Great Hall with Harry, Ron, and Hermione at our free period before Defense Against the Dark Arts. I sighed as Pansy swooned over Draco.

"Does it hurt terribly, Draco?" she asked.

"It comes and it goes. Still, I consider myself lucky. Madam Pomfrey said another minute or two and I could've lost my arm. I can't possibly do homework for weeks," Draco replied.

"Listen to that idiot," sneered Ron. "He's really laying it on thick, isn't he? I mean, Abby seems to have got it worse than him."

I shrug. "A hippogriff scratch stings, sure. But not to the point that you should lose your arm." I say loudly. Draco turned and gave me one of the saddest looks I've ever seen. I frown and gazed back down at my Charms essay.

"Yeah, but at least Hagrid didn't get fired," spoke Harry.

"Yeah, but Draco's father's furious," I frown petting Nanukk.

"We haven't heard the end of this," Hermione frowned as well.

"He's been sighted! He's been sighted!" Seamus yelled running down the Gryffindor table.

"Who?" asked Ron.

"Sirius Black!" he shouted back, slapping the paper down on the table. We all got up and moved to where he slapped the paper down to see if it was true.

"Dufftown?" gasped Hermione. "That's not far from here."

"You don't think he'd come to Hogwarts, do you?" Neville asked nervously.

"With Dementors at every entrance?" asked a Gryffindor.

"Dementors?" scoffed Seamus. "He's already slipped past them once. Who's to say he won't do it again?"

"That's right," agreed another Gryffindor. "Black could be anywhere. It's like trying to catch smoke. Like trying to catch smoke with your bare hands."

I stared at the man in the photo on the front of the Daily Prophet. The man said to have murdered many people. The man who escaped from Azkaban. The man said to be insane. But in his eyes I saw none of that. I saw innocence, fear, and desperation. This man wasn't a murder, that was clear. I looked at the others around me who were still crowded around the paper. Slowly I stepped away, grabbed my stuff, and hurried out of the Great Hall. I quickly made my way up to the third floor and to the Defense Against the Dark Arts room. The clock tolled and a bunch of little first years came running out of the room. I dodged out of the way and then made my way into the room. Professor Lupin had his back to the door at the back of the room and was currently moving a large wardrobe into the middle of the room with his wand. I knocked on the room and Lupin turned to look at me, setting the wardrobe down on the floor.

"Excuse me, Professor, but I was wondering if we could talk?" I asked stepping into the empty room.

"Yes, of course, Miss..." he smiled trailing off.

"Malenthrope, sir. Abigail Malenthrope."

"Ah, yes of course. I have heard many things about you, Miss Malenthrope." He smiled putting his hands in his pockets and leaning against a table on the side of the room. He leaned forward, "Good things."

"From whom, might I ask," I smirk crossing my arms.

He chuckled, "Professor Snape. And Dumbledore, of course."

I shuffle my feet, "What did they tell you?" I asked frowning.

"Enough," he said, understanding. "But I believe introductions wasn't the reason you came to see me was it, Abigail?" I shook my head. "What's bothering you?"

"Professor, if you don't mind my asking, were you friends with Sirius Black in school?" I ask looking at him.

Lupin crossed his arms before answering, "Yes. I was. Why?"

"Well, I was wondering, what was he like in school?"

He eyed me. "He was a prankster, typical for a teenage boy. He was a good man. Until..." he trailed off and shifted again, "Why are you so interested in him?"

"I don't believe he killed those people, Professor. He's innocent."

Lupin's eyebrows lifted. "Really now. How do you know?"

"I saw a photo of him today in the paper and there was no bloodlust in his eyes. Only fear and innocence. He isn't a murder, Professor. And since you were friends with him in school i think you should believe that too," I explained.

Lupin sighed, "Abigail, I would love to believe your theory but there is no way to judge a man by looking into his eyes. It just isn't rational. The likelihood of you being correct is a one in a million chance."

"You are an honest man, Professor. You studied hard throughout school. You were the calmest of your friends. Pranks were cool but school mattered more. You also hide a secret, Professor. You are loyal to your friends but this is one thing you wouldn't wish to get out, in that case, you keep it close to your chest. You also-"

"That is quite enough, Miss Malenthrope. I appreciate your determination but I am afraid that it won't and couldn't be a valid explanation for anyone," he said firmly.

I stepped back, "I'm sorry, Professor Lupin. I didn't mean to overstep my boundaries."

Lupin eyed me, "I truly cannot believe you are his daughter. You are much too kind and honest."

"Thank you, sir," I murmur as Harry and Ron walked into the room.

"There you are, Abby," smiled Harry.

"Here I am," I smiled back as Lupin walked away.

"What were you and him talking about, Abby?" asked Ron.

I shook my head. "Nothing of importance. Just chatting."

A few moments later the classroom was filled with students and class began.

"Intriguing, isn't it?" Lupin asked as he circled the class and the wardrobe shook. "Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what is inside?"

"That's a boggart, that is," said Dean.

"Very good, Mr. Thomas," praised Lupin. "Now, can anybody tell me what a boggart looks like?"

"No one knows," Hermione and I said together. I jumped and looked over at her.

"When did she get here?" asked Ron.

"Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of whatever the particular person fears the most," she continued. "That's what makes them so-"

"So terrifying yes..." Lupin finished. "Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart. Let's practice it now. Without wands, please. After me. Reddikulus! "

" Reddikulus!" the class coursed in.

"Very good. A little louder and very, very clear. Reddikulus!"

" Reddikulus!" we said again.

"This class is ridiculous," Draco said from the back, still loud enough for me to hear. I turned and shot him a glare. He caught eyes with me for a moment and then quickly turned away.

"Very good," said Lupin. "Well, so much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough, what really finishes a boggart is laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing. Let me explain. Ah, Neville, would you join me please?" he asked. Neville looked around nervously as Lupin urged him up. "Come on, don't be shy. Come on. Come on." Neville slowly made his way up to the front of the room next to Lupin. "Hello. Neville, what frightens you most of all?" Neville mumbled in response. "Sorry?"

"Professor Snape," he said raising his voice.

I giggled, "He's nothing more than a big teddy bear."

"Professor Snape," Lupin chuckled. "Yes, frightens all. And I believe you live your with your grandmother."

"Yes, but I don't want that Boggart turn into her, either," Neville said quickly.

Lupin shakes his head, "No...it won't. I want you to picture her clothes. Only her clothes, every clearly in your mind."

"She carries a read handbag-" Neville began.

Lupin shook his head, "We don't need to hear. As long as you see it, we'll see it. Now, when I open that wardrobe, here's what I want you to do." He stepped closer to Neville and said to the class, "Excuse me." He then whispered something into Neville's ear. "Can you do that? Yes. Wand at the ready." He said stepping back and taking his own wand out. "One, two three." He then flicked his wand and the wardrobe door slowly opened. Snape then stepped out and stalked over to Neville, his signature sneer on his face.

" Riddikulus!" Neville said and with the wave of his wand, Professor Snape's black robes were replaced with a green dress with a dead fox lying over his shoulder, a bird on his hat and a red handbag on his arm. I burst out laughing with the rest of the class at the sight.

"Wonderful, Neville, wonderful! Incredible! Okay, to the back, Neville. Everyone, form a line." Lupin said moving to the side of the room. Frowning I tried to sneak to the back. "Form a line! I want everyone to picture the thing they fear the very most, and turn it into something funny." He put the needle down on his record player. "Abigail, in front of Harry, please." Frowning I stepped in front of Harry in line. "Next! Ron!" Ron stepped up and the Boggart looked at him funny. "Concentrate. Face your fear. Be brave!" The Boggart changed and a giant spider appeared and Ron began to whimper. "Wand at the ready, Ron. Wand at the ready."

Ron pulled his wand out. "Riddikulus!"

The class laughed as spider struggled to stay standing with roller-skate on his feet. "Yes!" shouted Lupin. "You see? Very good, very good! Marvelous! Absolutely, very, very enjoyable! Parvati! Next!" Ron walked passed Harry and I giving us a high five as Parvati stepped up to the Boggart. "Show us what you see." The Boggart then changed into a snake. "Keep your nerve. Steady."

" Riddikulus!" She shouted and the snake turned into a Jack-In-The-Box. I would have laughed but I was next.

"And next! Step up, step up! Wonderful, wonderful," Lupin cheered.
Slowly I stepped up and watched as the Boggart changed. My heart began to beat faster as the first body laid on the floor. It was Harry. It then changed to Hermione, then Ron, Ginny, the twins, Molly, Arthur, Neville, Seamus, Dean, Snape, Dumbledore, McGonagall and many other teachers before Draco appeared on the floor. My wand shook in my hand, my throat dry and unable to speak the word. Then the Boggart changed again. I stepped back, ignoring the encouraging words of Lupin. The man slinked forward, all I could see was his mouth pulled up into a smirk and he held up his wand.

"Who should go first?" He laughed.

" Riddikulus!" I whispered, tears slipping down my cheeks and my father then became Molly Weasley.

She placed her hands on her hips and glared at me, "Where have you been?! No note! Car gone! You could have died! You could have been seen!" Ron and Harry burst out laughing behind me, having been there when Molly had said those words. But I couldn't even crack a smile. I turned, grabbing my bag off the floor and rushing out of the room.

I ran down the staircases, Nanukk rushing behind me, and I ran out into the grounds. I collapsed next to the Black Lake and began to sob. Nanukk chattered and climbed up onto my lap, begging for me to pet him. I scratched his chin as he rubbed up against my neck.
"I'm scared, Nanukk," I whispered to the little fox. "What if he comes back? I don't think I'd be able to face anyone here anymore, Nanukk."

"Abigail?"

I jumped and turned to see Draco. "What are you doing here," I asked wiping away my tears.

Draco sat next to me, "To see if you're okay."

"Shouldn't you be in class," I say staring at the ground.

"Lupin let us go early. Right after Potter's Boggart." I nodded and we were quiet for a moment. "Abigail...who was your Boggart?" I shook my head and turned away from him. "Please, Abigail. Tell me."

I dropped my head and began to sob again. "Abigail? Why are you crying? Abby?"

"He's my father," I whispered.

"Excuse me?"

"He's my father, Draco. My last name isn't really Malentrhope, it's Riddle. He wanted a child, a son. I was nothing when I was born. He killed my mother for having a daughter. He handed me off to Snape just before he went to kill Harry. And-and-and...My father is Voldemort," I sobbed.

"Have you told anyone about his?" he asked as my sobbing subsided.

I shook my head. "Only the teachers know. I'm too afraid to tell Harry for fear that he'll hate me."

"I think you should tell him, Abby. Because if he finds out from someone else, it'd only make it worse," Draco said rubbing my shoulder.

"You think so?" I questioned.

He nodded, "I know so."

"Thank you, Draco," I murmured.

"No problem, Abby," he said squeezing my shoulder.

"Abby?" I looked up and saw Hermione standing behind us with Harry and Ron standing a few feet behind her. "Are you okay?" I nodded wiping away my tears, I grabbed my bag, and walking over to Hermione. I grabbed her hand and pulled her over to Harry and Ron whom were seated under a tree. "I have to talk with you guys."

"Did Malfoy hurt you?" Ron asked instantly.

I shook my head, "Draco didn't hurt me, Ron. He actually helped me." I bit my lip and gazed down at my hands. "Look, I don't know how you'll react to this but there's something that I've been keeping from you." I looked up at Harry. "Please don't think of me differently after I tell you."

"What is it, Abby?" asked Hermione.

"My last name really isn't Malenthrope. It's Riddle." There was a small silence. "My father is Tome Marvalo Riddle, or Lord Voldemort, I guess."

"This is a joke right," asked Harry.

I shook my head, "I only wish it was."

Harry got up and walked away. "Harry," Hermione gasped after him.

He looked over his shoulder. "She's his daughter, Hermione." He kept walking and Ron got up to follow him.

I dropped my head into my hands and began to sob. Hermione wrapped an arm around my shoulders and hugged me. "He'll come around, Abby. I promise."

I shook my head and got up, "Doesn't matter. He hates me. Ron hates me. You might as well hate me too, Hermione," I then turned and walked away. I went straight down to the Dungeons and dropped onto the black leather couch in the common room. I once again hid my face in my hands as I cried.

"Abby," Draco's voice said from behind me. I looked up over the back of the couch with my tear stained cheeks. "Abby," he whispered walking around the couch and next to me. "What happened?"

"He got up and walked away," I cried. "He hates me."

Draco growled, "Potter's not worth your time, then. Don't let him treat you like you're someone horrible, Abby."

I chuckled slightly. "Says the boy who's been torturing me for the past two years."

"But then I didn't truly know you," he countered. "You're a truly amazing girl, Abby. And I'm sorry for the taunting I have done to you the past two years."

"You're very sweet, Draco. You just don't show it," I said resting my head against his shoulder.

He chuckled, "It's a Malfoy thing."
♠ ♠ ♠
Fox calls
Just encase anyone wanted to know. :)