Status: Senior year of college, be patient with me.

The Fallen Angels

Substitute Teacher and the Quidditch Match

On Friday afternoon in late in September I sat in Defense Against the Dark Arts class with Draco, chatting with Ron and Harry, while Draco babbled with Crabbe and Goyle.

"Are you excited for the Quidditch match tomorrow, Harry," I asked leaning over the aisle.

"Oh, yeah. We're prepared to win," he said giving me a sly smile.

I rolled my eyes, "So confident and cocky. Why is this one of those times Snape would say, 'Just like your father.'?"

Harry rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to Ron on the other side of him. Just then the door burst open and Snape came strolling in, closing the blinds on the windows with his wand as he did. He pulled down the projection screen and then turned to the class.

"Turn to page 394."

I looked at Draco and then flipped open my book to the page. Werewolves. Frowning I looked up at Snape as he walked down the aisle.

"Excuse me, sir," Harry said to Snape. "Where's Professor Lupin?"

"That's not really your concern, is it, Potter?" snapped Snape. "Suffice it to say your professor finds himself incapable of teaching, at the present time. Turn to page 394." He said tapping the projector to turn on.

"'Werewolves'?" asked Ron.

"But sir, we just learned about red caps and hinky punks. We're not meant to start nocturnal beasts for weeks." Hermione said to Professor Snape.

"Quiet." he hissed.

"When did she come in? Did you see her come in?" whispered Ron.

"Now, which one of you can tell me the difference between an Animagus and a werewolf?" asked Snape as he went to the front of the room. Mine and Hermione's hands shot up. "No one? I'm disappointed."

"Professor Snape," I say as Hermione was about to speak. "Both Hermione and I are quite capable of telling you the difference between the two. First, and Animagus is a wizard who chooses to turn into an animal. While a werewolf has no choice." I nodded to Hermione.

"With each full moon, when he transforms, he no longer remembers who he is. He'd kill his best friend if he crossed his path," She continued for me.

"Allas, the werewolf only responds to the call of its own kind," I concluded. Draco let out a howl from beside me, I rolled my eyes.

"Thank you, Mr. Malfoy," Snape snapped at Draco. He turned to Hermione and I. "And thank you two for proving you two are incapable of restraining yourselves and take pride in being insufferable know-it-alls. Five points from Slytherin and Gryffindor." I glare and Snape as Draco blew a note passed me and fell in front of Harry. "As an antidote to your ignorance, and on my desk, by Monday morning, two rolls of parchment on the werewolf, with emphasis on recognizing it."

"But sir, it's Quidditch tomorrow," complained Harry.

Snape got in Harry's face. "Then I suggest you take extra care, Mr. Potter. Loss of limb will not excuse you." Snape straightened up and began his lecture on werewolves and I turned to Draco.

"What did you send over to Harry," I hissed.

He snickered, "A little pep note for the game tomorrow."

I looked over and saw Harry glaring at Draco. I turned back to Draco. "Why do you do that?"

"It's funny," he chuckled.

"Draco," I warned. "Harry's my friend. If you really feel the need to taunt him, find time when I'm not around." I turned away from him and began wringing my essay that was due Monday.

******

I skipped into the Great Hall the next morning, clad in all Gryffindor attire. I sat down next to Draco at the Slytherin table and took the bacon out of his hand.

"Hey," he said as I ate it.

"Sorry." I giggled. He rolled his eyes and grabbed another piece.

"Abby." I turned and saw Hermione standing next to us, nervously shifting back and forth with Ron standing behind her, glaring at the Slytherin's that were glaring at her. "Um. Are you ready?"

I nodded. "I'm hanging out with Gryffindor's today. I'll see you later." I addressed Draco.

"Have fun," he sighed as I got up.

I grabbed Hermione's and Ron's hands before skipping out of the Great Hall. Outside was pouring down rain and I pulled my hood over my head, Ron and Hermione were doing the same. "Excited?" I asked them.

"Extremely," giggled Hermione. "Come on, I want to get good seats." She then proceeded to pull Ron and I all the way to the pitch and up into the Gryffindor stands. Not too long after, the stand began to fill up and the game began.

I cheered along with Hermione, Ron, and the rest of the Gryffindor's as Harry and the rest of the team flew around the Pitch. First years, obviously thought it a strange sight seeing a Slytherin cheer for a Gryffindor, but most of the others were used to me being here and have accepted me as one of their own. This is until it was Gryffindor against Slytherin. But last year when I made Chaser for the team, Harry and I settled it out that on the Pitch we weren't friends but not enemies and off the pitch afterward, no hard feelings.

I watched as the Hufflepuff seeker and Harry flew upwards into the sky after the golden snitch. Frowning once the got lost in the clouds. I nearly screamed when the Hufflepuff seeker came back down unconscious on his broom, thinking it was Harry. I stared up at the sky, feeling a sickness settle in my stomach. Something was wrong. Terribly wrong. And then I saw Dementors flying in the sky. And Harry falling to the earth, with no broom. Instantly I pulled out my wand and pointed it at Harry.

"Aresto momentum!" I shouted through the rain. Harry's falling figure instantly slowed and he was lowered to the ground.

In a rush, Hermione, Ron, and I ran down to the Pitch where Harry was lying once Dumbledore had called off the game. Many of the Professors were already there and others were sending the Dementors off the grounds.

"Miss Granger, Mr. Weasley, and Miss Malenthrope, please, get out of the way so we can get Potter to the Hospital Wing," Professor McGonagall demanded as the twins grabbed Harry up and began the long trek up to the castle.

"I'm gonna go find Harry's broom," Ron said as he turned to head towards Hagrid's hut.

"You're best friend just fell over a hundred feet and you're going to find his broom?!" Hermione shouted at him.

"Well, yeah. 'Cause knowing him he'll wake up just fine and ask about his broom. And when we say we didn't look for it, he'll jump out of bed and go looking for it," Ron argued.

"Oh, just go, Ronald. We'll see you up there," I said pulling Hermione with me to the front doors.

We followed after the twins, with Seamus, Dean, Neville and Star behind us, all the way up stairs to the Hospital Wing. Only to be shooed out by Madam Pomfrey. I leaned against the wall with Hermione next to me, waiting for Madam Pomfrey to allow us in. I sighed loudly and laid my head back against the cold stone wall.

"Don't worry, Abby Bear. I'm sure Harry's just fine," George assured me.

I gave him weak smile and gazed over to Star who shifted uneasily by herself. "Oi, Fred," I hissed at the other Weasley twin that was talking with the boys. He looked up at me and I nodded over to Star. He looked over at her and smiled. He gave me a wink before waltzing over to the timid girl.

"Hello, pretty lady," he said going to lean against the wall but missed and fell over a suit of armor just around the corner. Star's eyes widened and she quickly ran around the corner to help Fred up. Her hair was turning a light pink as Fred winked at her and kissed her hand after she helped him up. "I meant to do that," he smiled. Star gave a soft giggle and looked at her feet.

"Fred, you're such a klutz," I laughed.

He shot me a glare and then looked back to Star, whose hair had turned bright pink. "Whoa! You're hair," Fred said picking up a strand and examining it.

"Fred," I scolded walking over to Star. "Hasn't your momma ever told you not to touch a girls hair?"

He smirked. "Nope." He then pulled me into a headlock and messed up my hair.

"Fredrick!" I screamed trying to shove him off. I felt two small hands lip under Fred's arms and pry them away from my neck. I looked over at Star who was holding Fred's arms behind his back, smiling. "Wow. Thanks a bunch, Star!" I laughed fixing my hair.

"Wow, you're a strong little thing," Fred smiled looking over his shoulder at her. She blushed, her hair turning bright pick again, and she let go. I giggled at her as Fred turned around and began to flirt with her. A few minutes later the door to the Hospital Wing Opened and Madame Pomfrey waved us in. Quickly we walked inside to find Harry still unconscious. Huffing I sat down on the chair next to his bed while the others gathered around the bed. A few minutes later Ron came rushing in with his arms full of wood splinters from Harry's broom.

"He looks a bit peaky, doesn't he?" Ron asked peering over at his friend.

"Peaky?" asked George. "What do you expect? He fell over a hundred feet."

"Yeah, come on, Ron. Let's walk you off the Astronomy Tower..." began Fred.

"And see what you look like," George finished.

"Probably a right sight better than he normally does," Harry spoke from the bed. We all gave a small chuckle as he sat up.

"How are you feeling," asked Hermione.

"Oh, brilliant," Harry responded, sarcasm dripping from his voice.

"You gave us a right good scare there, mate," sighed Fred.

"What happened?" Harry asked taking his glasses from Hermione.

"Well, you fell off your broom," frowned Ron.

"Really?" Harry said rolling his eyes. I giggled. "I meant the match. Who won?"

Hermione stood up from where she sat next to Harry, "Um. No one blames you, Harry. The dementors aren't supposed to come inside the grounds. Dumbledore was furious. After he made sure you were okay, he sent them straight off."

"There's, um, something else you should know too, Harry," frowned Ron. "Um. When you fell, your broom sort of blew into the Whomping Willow, and...well..." He said showing Harry one of the many broken pieces of Harry's broom.

"I'm sorry, Harry," I frowned as his face fell. "Maybe we can get if fixed at Dervish and Banges," I suggested.

Harry only stared at the sad twigs that were once a broom stick. A little while later Madame Pomfrey shooed us out again to make sure Harry was alright now that he was actually awake. I said my goodbyes to the Gryffindors and made my way down the stairs to the Dungeons. I just stepped off the stairs when I heard the laughter of Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle.

"Just think if Potter would've died," Draco snickered. "Then there would be no reason for Sirius Black to come here. I mean, he's the only reason he's trying to even get close to here."

"Who save him anyway," scoffed Crabbe.

"Probably Dumbledore," Draco spat.

"No, I did," I snapped stepping around the corner. "Because he's my friend, Draco. How dare you talk about him like that."

"Abigail," his voice cracked as his eyes widened.

"Don't talk to me anymore, Malfoy." I spat before turning around and stalking back up the stairs.

"Abby, wait," Draco called running after me.

I spun and glared at him. "No. I have had enough of you harassing my friends, Malfoy. I know what you call Hermione behind my back. I've heard you. Even though I've asked you countless times not to, you still do it. And now you wished Harry was dead. You're sick, Malfoy. And I hate you. Now get away from me before I hex you into next week." I then turned back and stalked up the stairs and all the way up to the Gryffindor portrait. "Um. Flibbertigibbet?" I said to Sir Cadogan.

"Wrong, my dear lady," he smiled.

I huff. "Will you get Hermione Granger or one of the Weasley's for me then. I'd very much like to speak with them."

"Now that, I can do," he bowed and then disappeared to one of the portraits inside the common room.

I tap my foot, waiting for him to come back. When he finally does the door opens to reveal Hermione. "Abigail?" She asked. And that's when I finally let a few tears slip. "Oh, Abby, what happened?!" She asked hugging me and then pulled me into the Gryffindor Common room.

"I hate him," I whisper angerly.

"What? Why?" She asked as we sat down on one of the red couches.

"Because he's so cruel to you and Harry and the Weasley's and everyone else. I know he calls you a Mudblood behind our backs and I heard him talking with Crabbe and Goyle that he wished Harry was dead. I can't be friends with someone who hates my other friends, Hermione. It's not good. It's-"

She placed her hand over my mouth to stop my rambling. "I understand, Abby." I broke down and she pulled me into a hug and let me cry on her shoulder.

"I should have never trusted him, Hermione." I whisper.

"Shh. It's okay, Abby," Hermione whispered back.

"Abby?" The twins voices asked as the portrait hole closed. I looked up at them, tears still dripping from my cheeks. They ran over and scooped me out of Hermione's arms and into their own. "What happened, Abby Bear," they asked together.

"Was it Malfoy?" asked George.

I nodded. "Evil git," grumbled Fred.

I shook my head and pulled away. "Doesn't matter, guys."

"Why?"

"Cause he's never gonna change. He knows how I feel about they way he treats you guys and he still does it. If he won't change then..." I shrug.

"Well," George said throwing his arms over my shoulders.

"We know exactly what you need," Fred smiled.

I have a small smile, "And what's that?"

"A prank," George said wiggling his eyebrows.

I laughed, "On who?"

"Oh Malfoy! Who else?!" they laughed.

"Hummmm, what kind of prank?" I smile.

"Wait," Hermione said jumping up. "I want to see this." We all pondered a moment before Hermione spoke up. "We could send him a fake howler from his mum."

"That's perfect!" I laugh. "Come on. I've got a good one."

******

I spent the night in Gryffindor tower that night. And the next morning I sat with the Gyrffindors to watch the prank unfold. I watched as Draco sat with his friends and Pansy was back to swooning over him. I felt a pang of jealousy in my stomach seeing her do it. But I shook it off. When the mail arrived George nudged my stomach and I nudged Fred, pulling him away from making Star blush. I looked over the table at Hermione, who smirked and turned around to watch. The red envelope fell in front of Malfoy and he frowned picking it up. He ripped part of it open...

"Draco Lucius Malfoy!" It screeched it his mother's voice. The red envelope then lifted up and formed a mouth. "Do you know how tiring it gets cleaning up your messes!" Draco's mouth dropped. "You're room is terrible! All the love letters you refuse to send to Pansy! It's disgusting! And don't get me started on your clothes! What are my dresses doing in your room young man?! Is there something you would like to tell your father and I?! You have a lot of explaining to do the next time I see you! And don't let me ever find you writing poems about Harry Potter again!" The note then disintegrated and Draco stared at it, awe struck.

I couldn't hold it any longer. I burst out laughing. And so did the rest of the school.

"Gee, Malfoy, I didn't know you had such feelings for Pansy and Harry," I giggled.

"You'll pay for this, Malenthrope. You too, Weasley's and you, Mudblood," Draco shouted before storming out of the Great Hall.

"That was perfect," cheered the twins.

"Miss Malenthrope." I flinched and looked over at Snape. "It is safe to assume that you were behind this...prank."

"Yes, Professor," I mumbled.

Snape eyed me and then the twins, and finally Hermione. "Ten points from Gyrffindor and Slytherin, each. Don't let me catch you again." He then turned and walked away.

"Wow," said Fred.

"That was strange," agreed George.

"We always get detentions from Snape," they said together.

I giggled, "It was me, my dear boys. Snape loves me," I sat up and waved to Snape who had taken his seat at the head table. He shook his head at me, obviously holding back the urge to smile. I giggled and returned back to my breakfast.