Status: Senior year of college, be patient with me.

The Fallen Angels

Unexpected Christmas Presents

The next morning I woke and dressed early. I then took Nanukk and ran up to the Gryffindor common room. I rushed into the common room only to have my smile fall. Everyone seemed upset.

"What's wrong?" I frown sitting on the floor next to Harry's legs.

"He was here,"Harry spoke. "He was right there. I could've killed him."

"Sirius Black," I murmured."Um. Lets not think about that right now. Presents!"I cheered snatching a present off the pile from me. "Here ya go Harry," I said putting it in his hands.

"You didn't have to get me anything, Abby," he said giving me a soft smile.

"But I didn't," I smiled as he unwrapped the box.

He shook it and then slowly lifted the top off. "Really?" he asked pulling out a red scarf covered in yellow lightning bolts."Did you make it?"

"Well of course! Do you see me having the money to buy it?" I giggled. "Here," I said handing Ron, the twins, Ginny, and Hermione their presents. "You might as well open yours now."

"Where'd the yarn come from?" Ron asked unfolding his sweater with 'Quidditch' written on it with a Quaffle, snitch, bludger, goal, and a bat on it.

"Malfoy is good for some things. Like money," I snickered.

"Wicked." The twins shouted holding up Gred and Feorge sweaters.

"Oh! Hermione, Ginny. With your hats, the tassels at the end move by your thoughts." Ginny pulled hers on, which said 'love' around it and the two tassels began to move, almost like when Harry moved Rons while under the Invisibility cloak.

Hermione pulled on hers, which said 'Gryffindor' and giggled as the tassels swirled around. "Thank you, Abigail." The others chimed in their 'thank you' and I smiled.

We opened the rest of our presents and I could say I was quite happy. Ginny got me a bracelet that said 'Forever' (she had 'Best' and she gave Hermione 'Friends'). Fred and George got me a whole bunch of candy and Ron gave me a mini wizards chess set. Hermione gave me a few muggle books she thought I'd enjoy. And Harry gave me money. A lot of money.
"Harry, I can't accept this," I said trying to hand him the velvet pouch of galleons back.

"Keep it. You need it more than I do," He said shaking his head and pushing my outstretched hand away.

I stood up and hugged him. "Thank you," I whisper.

He chuckled, "No problem."

"Thank you all," I smiled looking at the others.

"Come on. It's breakfast time and I'm starving," Ron said standing up and stretching.

"You're always hungry,"Hermione said rolling her eyes.

"Wait!” Ginny said pulling another present out from under the tree. "It's for you, Abby. It's from Mum."

"Open it later," Ron groaned. "We all know it's a sweater anyway."

"Yeah, probably," I shrug putting it in my pack with the other presents. "Let's go eat."

Hermione, Ginny and I linked arms and giggled all the way down to the Great Hall where the small amount of students were gathered around one table for Christmas Holidays.

I ate quickly and gathered some food up in a paper bag and stood up. "Leaving already?" asked Ron.

"I've got some things to do. I'll see you guys later. Don't wait up for me." I called as I rushed out of the Great Hall and down to the Dungeons. I pulled all my presents out of my bag, except for the candy, wizard chess, and Mrs. Weasley's present, and then stuffed in a few blankets I found and a pillow. (I had an extendable charm on my bag.) I then grabbed the baggie of food and snuck out to the snowy fields. I trekked down to Hogsmead and over to the Shrieking Shack, Nanukk pouncing through the snow behind me.

"Black," I called sweetly as I stepped inside."I've got presents for you."

"Don't use that voice when I'm not a dog. It's quite annoying in human ears," he said leaning over the banister at the top o the stairs. "And what kind of presents could you possibly have for a deranged murder?" he smirked.

I shrug trudging up the steps. "Food, blankets, a pillow, and my wonderful company."

"You're very cocky for a thirteen year old," he said taking the food bag from me as I handed it to him.

"Thirteen and three quarters," I corrected following him into the musty bedroom.

"Okay, my apologies" he said bowing slightly before straddling the piano bench, laying the food out in front of him. I sat myself on the foot stool of a lumpy chair and pulled out the blankets for him. "You're a very strange Slytherin," he commented, tossing a piece of bacon in his mouth.

"How so?" I frowned reaching further in my bag as Nanukk jumped up next to Sirius's food. "Hey, you rascal, get away from that! It's not yours!"

Sirius chuckled, "He's all right." He handed Nanukk a piece of bacon. "And because you hang out with a bunch of Gryffindors. A muggle born to add to that. And you are a very nice girl. Not stuck up or have your wand in a knot all the time. You just don't seem like a Slytherin."

"Heh. Trust me. I didn't want to be a Slytherin." I frown. "I didn't exactly have a choice."

"Right. Your father."

I eyed him, "You know about that?"

"Moony told me," shrugged Sirius.

"You remind me of a little kid," I say rolling my eyes.

Sirius chuckled, "I got that from James. He was always the lively one of the group. While Remus always had his nose stuck in a book." He smiled weakly at the memories. "I didn't kill them,"He finally said after a moment of silence.

"I know," I nodded.

"How?"

"Your eyes. They reveal a lot about you without you knowing. And your posture as well." He raised an eyebrow. "I worked for a Reader in Diagon Alley for a while. She taught me a lot."
He popped the rest of his toast into his mouth and wiped his hands off. "You palm read?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Let's see how good you really are," he said holding his hand out, palm up.

I took it. "Your hands are rough from years of an unhealthy burden. Probably the accusation of murder." I paused. "The true story will be revealed to those who matter most but not to the outside world." I frown. "Your end will be abrupt." I push his hand away. "That's why I don't read palms. They tell so much in simple wording."

"How long?" he asked looking at his palm.

"I do not wish to tell you," I murmured.

"Tell me."

"Two years. At most."

"Oh, that's more than enough time," he shrugged it off.

"Time for what?"

"To get my affairs in order." He paused. "I'm Harry's godfather you know."

I frown, "Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but he loathes you. So much, he wants to kill you."

"Someone probably told him the wrong story," he frowned.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

Sirius shrugged, "Eventually he'll know the true story."

"Are you done eating?" I asked digging through my bag.

"Yes," he said wiping his hands together. "What's that?" he asked nodding to my unopened present.

"A present from Mrs. Weasley. I just haven't opened it yet." I said pulling out the mini wizards chess. "Engorgio!"

"Open it," he said.

I shook my head. "It can wait. Wanna play?"

Sirius crossed his arms and leaned back in his seat, "Maybe after you open your present."
I huffed but open the small box. Inside was not what I expected. I expected a dark green sweater but instead there was an envelope with my name written across it. I pulled out the envelope and dropped the box onto the floor. I peeled open the seal and unfolded the letter.

Dear Abigail,
First, let me start off with me wishing you a Happy Christmas, dear. Arthur and I are sorry we couldn't give you this in person but we needed to visit Bill this Christmas.

I know we probably should have spoken to you first but we thought you'd agree anyway. Over the summer Arthur and I spoke with Dumbledore about adopting you. And he agreed that it would be the proper thing to do since you practically live with us already. At the start of term we got it authorized by the Ministry. You're officially adopted by Arthur and I. We hope you are okay with it. We really do think of you as a daughter, Abigail. And we will see you this summer.

Love Molly.


By the end of the letter I had tears streaming down my cheeks. "Wow," I breathed.

"What is it," inquired Sirius.

"Molly and Arthur Weasley adopted me," I whispered. I fulled up the letter. "I gotta...I gotta go," I stuffed the letter in my pocket. "I'll be back at lunch time. Um, here," I said handing him some candy. "This should tie you over till then."

"Your chess board?"he called as I started out of the room.

I smirked looking at him, "Practice. You'll need it for when I come back."

I dashed out into the snow, Nanukk following me once again. I ran all the way back to Hogwarts and ran into the Entrance Hall. I smiled seeing the Weasley's, Hermione, and Harry leaving the Great Hall.

"Fred, George!" I cried running and jumping into their open arms.

"What's up, Abby Bear?" They asked.

"You have a new sister," I whispered.

Their eyes brightened, "Brilliant!" They squeezed me into a bigger hug.

"What's going on?" asked Ron. Giggling I pulled him and Ginny into a hug. "Ew, I'm touching my sister," he whined.
"You're touching both of them," I giggled again.

"They did?!" Ginny squealed.

"Yeah!" She grabbed my hands and we squealed together like little girls.

"Um, what's going on?" Harry asked.

"Mum and Dad adopted Abigail!" Ginny laughed.

Hermione hugged me, "I'm happy for you."

"Thank you," I laughed. Someone cleared their throat from behind us and I turned to see Draco. "Draco," I whispered.

"What do you want, Malfoy," sneered Ron.

Draco shuffled his feet. "Can I talk to you, Abby?"

"What so you and taunt her some more," said Fred.

"We don't think so," concluded George as they folded their arms.

"Guys," I said touching their elbows (since they're so tall), "it's okay. I'll be right back." I walked with Draco as he lead me back out into the cold snow. "What did you want to talk to me about?"

"I was thinking about what you said last night. And you're right." Sighing he stopped and sat down on a bench. "I wanna be your friend again, Abby."

I shuffled my feet, "Before you are set on that decision-"

"I already am," he said looking up at me.

I sigh, "You should know, the Weasley's adopted me. I'm an official Weasley now, though I'm keeping my last name, legally I'm their child."

He stood up and grasped my shoulders,"I don't care, Abigail." I smiled and hugged him. "I, uh, got something for you," he said pulling away and digging in his pocket. "It's like a 'forgive me' slash Christmas present," he said handing me a small green wrapped box.

"You didn't have to get me anything, Draco," I whispered.

"Just open it," he smiled.

I opened the small box and my smiled brightened. "Wow, Draco. It's beautiful," I breathed pulling out a crystal ball necklace. "I love it."

Smiling he took it from me. He unclasped it and snaked his hands around my neck, under my hair, and re-clasped it. "It works too. It's an actual crystal ball, like the ones in Divination."

"Thank you," I smiled, twisting it for a moment. "Actually," I said digging in my bag, "I have something for you as well." I then handed him the wrapped present.

He sat down on the bench and began ripping open the paper. Slightly giggling I sat down next to him as he pulled out the green scarf that read, 'Sarcasm. It's a Malfoy thing.'

"I love it," he laughed wrapping it around his neck. "Thank you.

"No problem. " I frown a moment. "Draco, do you think you could do something for me?"

"What?" he asked.

"Stop the hearing for Buckbeak. I know it's a lot, since it's your father and all, but please. I don't want Hagrid to get fired or Buckbeak to get killed," I said quickly.

"I'll try," he mumbled.

I hugged him, "Thanks." I pulled away, stood up, and headed for the grounds. "Come on."

"Where are we going?" he asked as I ran out into the snow.

I giggled and stopped, spinning around to face him. His eyes widened as he ran into me and knocking both of us over into the perfect white snow. I laughed as Draco mumbled sorry and profanities under his breath. He rolled over, and I sat up, propping myself on my elbow next to him.

"So why are you here for Christmas? Don't you normally go home?" I asked, playing with his scarf.

He shrugged, "Dunno. I guess I didn't feel like going home for Christmas. Anyway, I wanted to give you your present in person."

I laughed, "Do your parents know that?"

"No. I-"

"Eh-hem."

My head snapped up. Standing behind us was a man who had a striking resemblance to Draco. He eyed me dangerously. "Dad?" Draco asked sitting up. I moved away from him, frowning. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same," he sneered.

"Um," I frowned getting up. "I'll...just...go."

I went to walk past Draco's father but he stuck out his cane, stopping me. "Allow me to introduce myself first. Lucius Malfoy."

He stuck out his hand and slowly I took it, "Abigail Malenthrope. Pleasure to meet you, sir."

"Pleasure is all mine," he said eyeing me.

"I'll see you later, Draco," I said giving him a small wave before walking back up to the castle.