Status: Updated Whenever

Color Me Adventurously

Glowing Portal Near the Top of the Tree Village

Tom Riddle tumbled down through the foliage and wondered why none of the leaves or branches hurt him. I must still be invincible, he thought with a smirk, finally something is as it should be. Then he landed on a hard wood platform with a crunching sound. “For the love of Merlin! What is going on?!”

“You fell, man. Did it hurt?” Tom turned to hex the fool who dared to ask him this question when he realized two very important things. 1) He didn't know any hexes that he could use in the Maple World (which he thought must be real or else he wouldn't have fallen. Period. Thank you very much.) and 2) This man was a blast from the past. Completely harmless and most likely stoned.

Tom stowed his Beginner's Wand in his robes and glared at the hippie in front of him. “'Course not. Who are you?”

“Francois. I make items but fer now I'm on repair duty. Do ya have anythin' that needs to be repaired?”

“No, but do you where I can find my old wand?” Tom asked trying and failing to curb his eagerness.

“Nope. Ya migh wanna talk to Flora th' fairy. She sells wands and staffs tha ya can use.” Francois looked Tom up and down then nodded. “Serabi can get ya sumthin' decent to wear.”

Okay, so Tom knew that the robes looked like something a Weasley would wear but did this sniffling tree-hugger, who obviously belonged in the '60s, have to go ahead and judge him? No, he didn't. Tom controlled himself, swished his wand at Francois, a strange blue light appeared, and... Francois popped his gum. Tom stared. They both blinked. “I'll go pay Flora a visit then.”

“You do that.”

“Where is she?”

“Up there,” Francois answered pointing to a glowing portal near the top of the tree village.

“And I get there by...” Tom trailed off.

“Jumpin' an' climbin'.”

“Of course...” Tom sighed and began looking for the easiest path to get there.

10 Minutes Later


Tom finally reached the glowing portal, which turned out to be a doorway into the shop, and doubled over trying to catch his breath. How anyone managed to climb all those ropes and ropes ladders was beyond him. How anyone could practically soar through the trees like a bleedin' howler monkey was even further beyond his understanding. But what really astounded him was how anyone could get from the bottom to the top of this place in a matter of seconds.

He stood up again and entered the store. “Flora! I demand a new wand!” Tom stood with his hands crossed as the fairy looked him over.

“Actually, I'm Serabi,” the fairy announced patiently. “She's Flora.” Serabi gestured to the giggling blue fairy hovering next to her. Why don't their wings move? And why are they so...large? “Can I interest you in a new set of robes?”

“Oh, and a new wand will cost you 1,000 mesos,” Flora interjected.

Tom blinked. “1,000 mesos? ¿Porque quieres los mesos?”

“I'm sorry, but what?”

Feeling like he was missing something, Tom asked very hesitantly. “Wha – ahem – what are mesos?”

Flora and Serabi exchanged a look. “Noob.” It was Serabi who answered very patiently as if speaking to a child which Tom thought was rather rude. Now he knew how Lucius felt when Narcissa spoke to him. “Mesos are coins which we use as currency. It can be used throughout the Maple World to purchase various items which will help you on your adventures.”

“But I don't have any money.”

“Too bad.”

After that neither fairy would answer any of his inquiries or spare him a second glance. Once again Tom sympathized with Lucius, especially after that Azkaban incident. Narcissa didn't pay Lucius any attention. Poor guy, I wonder how he's managing.