Status: Updated Whenever

Color Me Adventurously

The Young Padawan and the Dragon Master

Tom Riddle was definitely not handling the adjustment to this new world very well. In fact, he found his new environment quite disconcerting and very hostile. Take for example the bouncy green blob thing. Tom Riddle had been minding his own business, exploring his surroundings, when suddenly this blob decided to bounce on him. And it hurt dammit!

Of course, Tom Riddle, the former Dark Lord, wasn't the type to take such an insult. But after a well-aimed Avada Kedavra failed, he resorted to hitting the monsters with the beginner's wand Grendel had given him. He missed of course, hit another then another and was suddenly lost in a mob of green bouncy blobs. Then he died.

Again.

He was almost excited for a moment. Maybe if he died here he would get back home. But instead he found himself hovering in a strange ghost form.

“Noob, huh?”

Tom Riddle directed his attention to the newcomer; a very powerful looking wizard with a large, dark, sparking, beautiful dragon at his side. After assessing that this wizard was worth speaking to, Tom Riddle decided to answer. “What's a noob?”

“Hehehe,” the newcomer's face broke into a large grin as he laughed. “Yep, def a noob.”

The former Dark Lord decided he didn't like this word. It sounded very much like an insult especially when it was spelled n-o-o-b. How he knew it was spelled like that was something he didn't quite know, but he knew it.

“A noob is someone whose new to the Maple World, so they don't really know the ins and outs of it.” That made sense, Tom supposed. “If you want, I can help you out.”

Now, Tom Riddle was not the type who asked for help. His Death Eaters of course did not count because they were minions not equals whose aid he sought. This wizard was an equal. An equal who was currently much more powerful than himself. Tom Riddle decided he would “befriend” this wizard.

“OK,” Tom Riddle said.

“LOL, cool. So go respawn and come back; your training begins now, young padawan!” the wizard declared. His name, Tom realized, was OMGItzMeh.

Tom sighed and decided (once more) not to comment on the strangeness of the Maple World. He just really wanted to be in a body right now. Just as he thought that, he Apparated – oh, no, he respawned – and sighed again. Looking around he realized he was in none other than Ellinia, the magical fairy tree-village. This time, he remembered to watch his step while climbing the ropes and jumping from branch to branch. He exited through the portal on the top-right side of the town and stopped in amazement.

OMGItzMeh was dazzling. Miss. Miss. Lightening flares wipe out whole row. Jump down onto the next platform. Miss. 1. 1. Miss. “BRNBTCHZ!” That was a fire attack which utterly destroyed the green bouncy blobs. Teleports to random spot on the map area. The dragon charged! Miss. OMGItzMeh hit it on the head with his staff. 1000 damage!

In England, people could not do this. To control a dragon, wizards needed chains and spells powerful enough to penetrate their hide. But this duo was...was...beautiful. Perfect. It was everything he had ever imagined power could produce.

“How did you do that?”

“Do what?”

“EVERYTHING!” Tom Riddle exclaimed breathlessly. “That was – wow!”

“Hehehe.” There was that grin again but this time Tom Riddle didn't mind it at all. It was actually unusually pleasant to behold. “You have much to learn! But first accept the party invite. You have to level up to get stronger.”

“Level up? What level are you?”

“163,” OMGItzMeh stated happily. “Took me forever, too. But I have a demon slayer that's 200 already.”

“You have a demon slayer?”

“Yeah, we can have up to 3 guys. Sometimes we get coupons, though, that expands the amount of guys we could have.”

“Like soul possession or astral projection?”

“Something like that, I guess.”

OMGItzMeh turned to the blobs of green gooey bounciness and attacked. But this time something strange happened. Tom Riddle got some experience from it. He wasn't sure how, but he figured it had something to do with the party. And it was some party alright. Within moments Tom Riddle had leveled and he felt just a little bit stronger. Suddenly he found he could learn a new skill. And when he used it – lo and behold, the bouncy one was destroyed. Brilliant!

“Feel free to loot,” OMGItzMeh said suddenly. You can sell the stuff for extra cash for now and pick up the mesos. Old school, but if you're just starting out it's a decent way to get upgrades.” The wizard stopped and shimmied down the rope ladder for a moment and suddenly a robe dropped onto the ground underneath him. It was followed by a staff, a pointed hat, gloves, and a pair of shoes. “You probably can't use some of it yet, but take it. It'll help you out later.”

OMGItzMeh's generosity was surprising, endearing, and very very much appreciated. So much so that Tom Riddle almost had tears welled up in his eyes. Never in all his life had anyone been this kind to him – unless, of course, you counted the allowance Hogwarts gave to the poorer students. And somehow, Tom Riddle did not count this as generosity.

“Thank you,” Tom Riddle said fighting to keep out the emotion.

“No prob.” Then he went back to blasting away the gooey things while Tom gathered the equipment he was still to weak to use.

“Wanna go attack bubblings?”

“What are bubblings?” Tom Riddle asked.

“Stronger versions of slime. They're big and blue.”

“Sure.” Tom Riddle climbed up the trees after OMGItzMeh and then asked the question that had been bothering him since the discovery of the slimes. “Why are these cute things so vicious?”

“No idea.”

“OK, then...”

“Shoot, my mom's calling me. Accept the buddy request?” Tom Riddle didn't need to be asked twice. Why would he need to? There was no way that Tom Riddle wouldn't accept the request to be buddies with his first real friend. “Cya!”

“Bye,” Tom Riddle said and with that OMGItzMeh disappeared leaving Tom Riddle alone in a mob of blue bouncing blobs called bubblings. Tom sighed and began attacking them. By the time the dragon master returned, Tom Riddle told himself, he'd be powerful!