Status: Updated Whenever

Color Me Adventurously

Gather All the Marbles

After countless hours honing his new skills, a light-bulb finally lit up over Tom Riddle's head. Literally. He decided to pull the string to shut it off despite his misgivings.

“Congratulations!” Tom Riddle sighed. He really shouldn't have tried to turn it off. “It looks like you are ready for a job advancement!”

“A job advancement?”

“That's right; a job advancement! Come see me when you are ready for new, spectacular powers!” The little hologram image of Grendel the Really Old disappeared and left Tom Riddle to his thoughts.

Now, Tom Riddle loved powers (especially when they were spectacular) but he didn't particularly want to go back to Ellinia. Well, more like he didn't particularly know where that was or how to get from here to there.

He scratched his head and then looked around at the monsters. How they didn't get tired holding up those stone masks all day was beyond him.

Retrace his steps! He could do that! It was easy; just go back the way he came until he found Ellinia again.

So, he fought his way through the mob of stone masked monsters, hopped onto the ledge, and entered the portal. Wood Masked Monsters; he remembered them. He watched for a moment as another adventure bounced around the map, shooting arrows at the monsters. Then, he heard a sound that he learned to love. The adventurer paused with the bow at his side and the hat not falling off as he bowed his head. Then he vanished. Just like that. There wasn't even a pop or a puff of smoke.

Had someone called him as OMGItzMeh's mother had?

Tom filed the memory away to ask his mentorish creature at a later time and continued on his journey to the tree village of doo – extraordinary magic.

Twenty minutes and 50% into his experience on level 30, he reached Ellinia. He was becoming quite the speedy adventurer.

“I am here, minion...” Tom stopped for a moment and stood outside Grendel's shiny sphere of sparkliness in silence.

It kept going.

And going.

Grendel blinked.

Tom blinked.

“Your job advancement! You can choose the following paths to become a master in.” He handed Tom a piece of paper.

Check One: Blank Box – Cleric. Blank Box – Fire/Poison Wizard. Blank Box – Ice/Lightning Wizard. If you have any questions about the jobs speak to Grendel the Really Old again.

“What can each class do?”

“Clerics are gifted with the ability to heal and give buffs to party members. They are excellent for party quests and friends are not in short supply.”

Pfft, like Tom needed that! It sounded like a class of losers.

“Fire/Poison Wizards use special attacks with fire and poison attributes. Their attacks are quite powerful and may poison monsters which damages them over time.”

Interesting...Tom Riddle liked to watch suffering.

“Ice/Lightning Wizards use attacks with ice and lightning attributes.”

Clearly there was only one choice for Tom Riddle. He looked down at the paper, checked the box, and gave it back to Grendel.

“So you want to be a Fire/Poison Wizards, correct?” Tom nodded. “Then bring me back 20 Dark Marbles as proof of your abilities. Marbles can be obtained by killing the monsters. Be careful; these monsters are stronger than ones you can find in the forest. If you need to leave for any reason before you have all the marbles, you must forfeit and restart when you are ready. Would you like me to send you there now?”

“You mean I have to prove myself to you?”

Grendel the Really Old nodded once.

Tom blinked.

Grendel examined his fingernails.

“Fine, I'm ready.”

“Excellent!”

Tom suddenly found himself on a map with a Lupin jumping around on a nearby platform. Several others were below him.

When he'd first seen a Lupin, Tom was surprised. He'd expected it to be wolf. Like that other Lupin who he never got a chance to fight. But that Lupin was dead and gone...good riddance. He was a whining mutt.

But these were monkeys who threw bananas when you hit them.

The strangeness of this was not lost on the former Dark Lord. Pushing his thoughts aside he began the laborious task of proving himself to flamboyant wizard who hovered in his dusty library all day and night and week and month and year.

He reappeared in Grendel's library (spelled hixn) with the 30 marbles and his usually straight hair standing up in every direction. He was covered in banana mush and dirt was smeared on his nose, just there.

Harry Potter! That's who had to messy hair! Tom Riddle quickly fixed it. It wasn't good if he in any way reminded himself of Harry Potter the Boy Who Got Lucky One Too Many Times.

Something about that phrasing didn't sit well with him but he didn't know why.

“Ah, you have successfully gathered all the marbles. I hereby pronounce you a Fire/Poison Wizard.” A special light surrounded him then faded and he felt stronger, better, faster! He learned a new skill and used it.

Fiery brilliance!

He was epic!
♠ ♠ ♠
Fluffiness before more characters!