An Early Christmas

1/1

Zayn quickly unwrapped two candy canes and threw the wrappers away. He neatly placed the two pieces of candy on the edge of a pearly white plate alongside four gingerbread men. He stepped back and examined his work. He broke into a huge smile and was proud that he had managed to produce something creative in such short notice.

Just less than ten minutes ago, Zayn’s girlfriend, Sarah, had called and told him that she was on her way to his apartment. Startled by the short notice, Zayn had immediately got up and began cleaning up. As any other eighteen year old boy, he was not the tidiest of men. Shoving the last stray item in his closet, Zayn let out a sigh of relief. As soon as he did, there was a knock on his apartment door and he heard someone coming in.

“Hey,” Sarah said as she walked in and closed the door behind her. She took her white pea coat off and hung it on the coat rack. She smiled and grabbed Zayn’s hand and gave it a quick squeeze. “It’s smells good in here.”

“Thanks,” Zayn replied. “You know how I like to keep everything fresh and clean.”

Sarah snorted. Her blue eyes held a quiet laugh. “I think I know you a little better than that. If I had any money to bet right now, I bet that you probably just shoved everything in your closet and underneath your sofa.”

Zayn felt the heat rush up to his cheeks. “Yeah, well whatever,” he awkwardly mumbled out. He cleared his throat out and loosened up his shirt collar. “Hey about it almost being Christmas?”

“Way to change the subject,” Sarah said with a laugh. She walked over to the loveseat and took a seat, motioning for Zayn to follow, which he did. “I’m pretty excited for Christmas. This will be my first year not celebrating it with my family though. But I at least I’ll have you!”

Zayn nodded his head. “Same here, babe. College has been pretty hectic on the both of us. I think the only way we’ve survived is because we’ve had each other.”

“What a way to spend the holidays,” Sarah said almost whimsically. “Speaking of holidays, I smelt gingerbread earlier. You’re not hiding any men in here are you?” She asked while lifting an eyebrow.

“As a matter of fact,” Zayn began as he got up from the couch. “I am. They are also in the kitchen.” He walked into his small kitchen and grabbed the small plate that he had fixed just minutes ago. He went back to the living room, sat on the couch, and placed the entrée in his lap. “I made these just for you.”

“Ooh,” Sarah squealed happily. She took a gingerbread man from the tray and began eating it. “Mmm, these are really good Zayn. You’ve always been a better cook than me.”

“To tell you the truth, I actually bought them. They were already made and wrapped,” Zayn admitted.

Sarah shrugged. “They still taste magnificent,” she said as she reached for a second one.

Zayn sat back and grinned to himself. He looked up at Sarah and he felt amazed to have her in his life. There was just something about her that made his days so much better. He honestly felt that she would be the real reason why his Christmas would be a blessed day. She just meant everything to him.

Sarah caught Zayn’s glare and turned to face him. “Why are you staring at me?”

“Because I love you.”

Zayn couldn’t have even stopped himself from saying it. It was the first time those words had ever rolled off his tongue. It was almost strange to hear them, but it felt so right.

Sarah was slightly caught off guard, but she quickly regained her composure. “Zayn… I… I love you too.”

Both Zayn and Sarah just stared at each other in amazement. It felt like Christmas had come early for the young couple.