You Belong With Me

You Belong with Me

Ancient Dragon-Wood Carved knockers. Knock knock knock.

A wrought iron door aged by centuries, but never by rust. Creak.

A boyish but maturing voice, caught by surprise and blessed with beauty. “Aubrey?”

Aubrey Isles painfully looked upon the face of her former flame, Draco Malfoy, for the first time in months (or what felt like years) since the Battle of Hogwarts. He looked so different since those darker days... His sunken skin was gone, replaced seemingly permanently by a rare rosiness she used to see come over him in the cold. His hair hadn’t lost it’s tidiness, but it shined more freely now. He seemed taller, or maybe he was just holding himself that way, he didn’t appear tired or sick or the least bit frightened like he had for so long. No twitching temples, or catching breaths, or anything of the sort. His eyes, of course, were as brilliant as ever... It was everything Aubrey could have asked for.

She had expected some confusion- some anger, maybe- and a Hell of a lot of questions about why she had ignored his calls since the war ended, so Draco’s reaction completely threw her through a loop.

“I knew you’d come back!” He smiled with elation as he took her in his arms, where she waited rigid and awkward and, despite herself, swooning over his pristine smell.

“I tried so hard not to believe it, but I just knew,” he said into her smooth, dark hair, a full head below the tips of his blonde locks.

Her voice ached with misuse, “Draco, you have the wrong-”

“All I could think about was how badly I’d hate myself for the rest of my life if I didn’t have you. Even if you didn’t stay in London, there would be a piece of me that could never go on and I would miss forever.”

“Draco,” Aubrey continued to plead, but he put a finger over her lips and searched her face for any imperfection, and in his eyes, it appeared as if she had none.

Even though Draco didn’t explicitly say it, Aubrey knew exactly what he was thinking about. She could tell just from the huskiness of his voice, the white fire in his smile... And then he set his lips upon hers.

It was electric, without a doubt. For a split second Aubrey considered letting herself get lost in the moment and forget all the trouble that chased her here in the first place- but the moment didn’t last.

“Stop,” she inhaled as she broke the kiss, placing her cold hands on Draco’s thundering chest. He looked at her hungrily.

“Why? Aren’t we only getting started-” he leaned in for another taste, but Aubrey turned away.

“No, Draco! I came to talk to you about something!” She demanded. “And it’s serious.”

“Serious? Aubrey, how can anything be serious now compared to what it was? If we could find the time to snog then, then certainly we can find the time now!” Again, he attempted a kiss. Aubrey physically jumped back, away from his touch, and gathered her thinning self in her arms like a pile of bones.

“Aubrey...” Draco breathed, suddenly feeling horrified at the idea that he may have hurt his love. “I’m sorry. I- I mean, what is it? Why are you so scared?”

The tenderness with which he touched her shoulder now had none of the hunger or passion that had overcome Draco moments before. Aubrey shuttered against it, craving its gentle relief.

“I’ve been found out.” She whispered. “I don’t know how, but the Ministry knows and now they’re after me.”

“You mean, they found out that you’re an unregistered animagus? That you can turn into a spider?” Draco gasped. Aubrey nodded to shake away the terrified lump in her throat.

“Worse. They know that I was using my abilities to help Voldemort in the war... I’m the reason Aragog’s children were on His side. They know, Draco. They all know and now... Now I’m going to Azkaban!”

“They can’t send you to Azkaban!” He exclaimed. “You’re hardly of age!”

“Of age is of age, Draco.” Aubrey wailed. “That’s why I’ve been avoiding you all these months, I’ve been on the run and the last thing I want is for you to get in trouble too but... but... I had nowhere else to go! I just don’t know what to do and I didn’t want to be locked away forever without being with you one more time.”

She dissolved into uncontrollable sobs as Draco wrapped his arms around her. Aubrey gratefully pressed herself against him and wished for nothing more in the world than to stay in his embrace until she died.

“I know it was wrong,” she stumbled through the tears, “I knew it at the time too but I was so blinded I don’t know what I was thinking!”

“Shh, love, shh...” Draco smoothed his hand over her delicate hair once more. His voice was scared too, but soothing in a way that was instinctual to him. “We won’t let this happen. You don’t belong in Azkaban.”

“What do you mean I don’t belong there? I’m a criminal!” She howled into his soft robes. Draco tenderly took his hand and touched it to Aubrey’s chin, tilting it to bring her water-logged eyes to his gaze.

“You don’t belong there.” He repeated in a whisper. “You belong with you.”