Status: Complete

Turbulence

Will You Take Me As I Am?

Dates had never really been my thing. To say I was promiscuous before I had met Patrick would have been a fair statement, but I had never shared this fact with him. Yes, it was hypocritical to accuse him of it on a regular basis, however, I knew the comments and suspicions that came along with the knowledge of my past. I had even kept the information from Jonathan, who I considered my best friend. I saw the way he looked at the guys on the team when they joked and bragged about their latest conquests. The last thing I wanted was to have those expressions directed my way.

When I met Patrick, though, everything changed. Just his presence made me want to be a one man woman. He had been my first real date in at least five years. After the first few dates, I figured I was just going through a phase and when he left I would return to my old ways. But he never left and I started to believe that I had truly changed. Then Cameron came into the picture and I knew there was no turning back. The true challenge, I knew, would be finding someone that I trusted who would love Cameron just as much as I did.

“Well, look at you.”

Breaking my eyes from the mirror, I turned to look at the man holding my son. “I hope that’s a good thing.” I turned back to the mirror to examine my outfit some more. I had pulled out an old purple dress, which hugged my curves just right, and a pair of black pumps.

“You look great, Ceb. This guy better be worth you getting all dressed up.”

I shrugged. “I have no idea. He’s a friend of one of the bartenders. Apparently he loves hockey, so that’s always a plus.”

“I like him already. Does he know about Cam?”

“Again, I have no idea. Sam didn’t tell me much, just to be ready by five.”

David nodded as the doorbell rang. “I’ll grab that while you finish up.”

“Thanks,” I mumbled, checking myself one last time in the mirror. “Here goes nothing.” Grabbing my clutch, I made my way to the front door.

“You must be Carey,” a tall, red haired man said, outstretching his hand. “Sam told me you were beautiful, but that doesn’t even begin to describe you.”

“Thanks,” I smiled shyly, trying to hide my blush. “It’s Eli, correct?”

“You got it,” he nodded as we shook hands. “Are you ready to go?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” I smiled, before turning to David. “Take care of my boy. I’ll be back later.”

“I know how dates work, Ceb,” David rolled his eyes. “Get out of here.”

“Thanks, Davey. See you later.” Closing the door behind me, I walked next to Eli as we made our way to his car. The mint green Cadillac made me chuckle. I had to give him props for driving a classic car on a first date. Most girls I knew would have hated the idea of being seen in it, but being a lover of the classics I didn’t have a problem with it. In fact, I was more impressed than I had expected to be this soon into the evening. “So, where are we headed?” I asked as he opened the door for me.

“Have you ever been to Balena’s?” He questioned, starting the car and pulling away from the curb.

I shook my head. “I’ve heard of it, but haven’t been there yet. Actually, since I moved here I haven’t been a lot of places.”

“Why not? Chicago is an amazing place.”

“I know,” I agreed. “I’ve seen a lot of the nightlife, but that was before Cameron. I haven’t indulged in much of the Chicago culture since he was born.”

“Is Cameron your son?”

I nodded. “He’s just over a year old.”

“He’s cute. Do you not take him out?”

“Things were complicated when it came to his father and that made it hard to go out. Things are better now, but I always seem to be busy with work or the team or trying to get a grip on life.”

“Which team? Do you play something?”

“No,” I chuckled. “I am pretty close with some of the guys from the Blackhawks.”

“What? No way! That’s awesome!”

“Maybe you’ll get the chance to meet them. They seem to like having me around, for some reason.”

“I might know the reason for that,” he grinned, slowing his car in order to park. “You seem to be a pretty lively person.”

“Thanks, I think.”

“Haha, it was a compliment, Carey.” He quickly made hi way around the car to help me out. “Are you a wine drinker?”

My face flushed, embarrassed by my answer. “It’s not what I usually drink, so I’m no expert. If you have a favourite, I’m more than willing to give it a try.”

“I like the sound of that, but I have to be honest, I know nothing about wine. I usually stick to scotch.”
Another classic, I thought as we were seated. “Scotch? Really? Only the old men order that at the bar. It’s always the drink of choice when they are going to reminisce.”

“Do they come in often?” He asked, peering at me with intrigue.

“Usually on Wednesdays, unless there is a Hawks game.”

“Cool, so you work with Sam, right?”

“Yes and no.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, technically, I’m his boss, but whenever he works I try to work, too.”

“Boss, as in you manage the bar?”

“Sam didn’t tell you I own the bar?”

The man shook his head. “That’s really awesome though. You really are busy.”

“I am,” I laughed. “That’s not something I would lie about.”

“What would you lie about?” Eli inquired as the waitress approached. He quickly ordered for both of us before turning back to me. “Well?”

I shrugged, trying to think up something clever. Coming up with nothing, I decided the truth was best. “Cameron’s real father.”