Status: Complete

Turbulence

How Can I Make You See

“Jonathan?” I called, walking into his apartment. The week had ended up feeling a great deal longer than I had expected. Between trying to talk to Jonathan, and ignoring Sean’s persistent calls and texts, I felt like I had not gotten any rest, or clarity.

I wandered into the living room, and put Cameron down on the floor with a couple of toys to play with. “Jon, are you home?” I moved around the apartment, looking for any sign of the tall brunette.

“What are you doing here?”

I turned back to the door, and frowned at the appearance of Patrick. “What are you doing here?”

“Tazer wanted me to grab some equipment for him on my way past. How did you get in?”

“I have a key,” I blurted. “I need to talk to Jon. Do you have practice?”

“Just a team bonding thing.”

I nodded, and glanced over at Cameron to make sure he wasn’t getting into any trouble. “When are you done?”

“Couple hours,” Patrick shrugged. “What’s going on?”

“Just need to talk,” I riddled. “You should probably head out.”

“Right,” Patrick said, reluctantly. “I’ll let Tazer know you’re looking for him.”

“I’d rather you didn’t.”

“What?”

“Never mind. I’ll see you later. You can still babysit tonight?”

Patrick agreed, and left without any other questions.

Sighing, I decided to wait for Jonathan to return to his home. Sitting down on his couch, I switched on the television, and turned my eyes to watch Cameron play with his trucks. I smiled at how his strawberry blond hair resembled the curls of his father’s own hair.

After a few hours of watching television, I heard the door click open. I sat still, trying to plan my first few words.

“I finally found you.”

Startled by the voice, I looked over at the man. “Sean,” I breathed, unsure what to do or say.

“I know what you are thinking,” he smirked, moving over to Jonathan’s couch. “What am I doing here? How did I get in? It’s pretty easy when people know who you are.”

“Why did you come after me? I think I made it pretty clear that I did not want to talk to you, or see you.”

“Come on, Carey, you know that isn’t true.”

“You may have ruined my relationship. Not to mention, Patrick’s been extremely awkward and cautious around me.”

“You can’t be blaming that on me,” Sean faked shock.

“Get out, Sean. I don’t want anything to do with you anymore. Just leave me, and my son, alone.”

“I don’t think I can do that, Carey. Your parents think quite highly of me, and it would be rude of me to stop being a part of their little girl’s life.”

“I’m serious, Sean. Leave me the hell alone, and get out of this apartment.”

“Come on, Carey, you know you don’t want that.”

“She made it pretty clear that she does.” Jonathan’s voice boomed from the living room entrance. “Get the fuck out of my apartment.”

Sean sneered at the tall brunette, but obeyed his command.

“You okay?” Jonathan asked, walking over to the couch and sitting next to me. “What was he even doing here?”

“I don’t know,” I muttered, shaking my head. “I’m alright though, just a bit rattled that he showed up here of all places.”

“Patrick said you were here.”

“Can’t keep his mouth shut, can he?”

“What?” Jonathan raised a brow.

“I figured you wouldn’t come home if you knew I was here.”

“Why would you think that, Cee?”

“Really, Jon? You’ve been avoiding me like I’m some kind of killer disease.”

“I didn’t know what to say, Cee. After you told me that you told Pat’s friend you two were still together, I kind of panicked.”

“Panicked?”

“Yeah, I might have started thinking that you and Pat were sneaking around.”

“Jon,” my voice had a worried tone to it. “What did you do?”

“I might have confronted Pat.”

“Like told him about us?”

“No, but I’m sure he could have guessed it by now. I punched him.”

“You didn’t.” It was shocking, yet humorous to me that Jonathan would hit his closest teammate.

“Straight in the face,” Jonathan clarified, sheepishly. “He didn’t even retaliate, just stared at me, confused.”

“You think?” I chuckled with a shake of my head. “I can’t believe you did that. I don’t remember seeing a bruise.”

“Oh, he had a black eye for a few days,” the brown eyed man bragged. “He covered it up pretty well, so it wasn’t too noticeable during games and media. I really don’t know how he did it. And don’t say what you are thinking.”

My eyes widened, knowing it was likely that he had guessed exactly what I was thinking. “You know it’s probably true.”

“Not relevant, Cee. I’m sorry I overreacted when we were on the phone last week. I didn’t know what to think, and just started thinking the worst.”

“So, you punched Kane in the face, and just went on not talking to me? Given the circumstances, I think that is totally acceptable. Can we forget this ever happened, and just get back to us? I really need a break from all the drama.”

Jonathan smiled and pulled me into his side. “I think that’s a great idea. I ordered in tonight, so let’s just watch a movie and take it easy.”

I nodded, and laid my head on Jonathan’s shoulder, letting myself relax into him. There was no place else I wanted to be.