Status: Complete

Turbulence

I'm Half Way There is a Misconception

With the All-Star weekend approaching, it was a stunning that Patrick hadn’t figured out the relationship that Jonathan and I had been holding. Although we were keen on keeping it a secret, we hadn’t been too discreet, especially around others. David had made several mentions about how we flirted, how we laughed, how we touched each other’s arm or hand. In his words, we were disgustingly annoying, but in our minds, we were just getting to know each other. Everyone knew we cared deeply for one another, so it was remarkable that no one had picked up on our ‘secret’ relationship.

“Please come with me,” Jonathan pleaded for the umpteenth time in a week’s time. “You and Cam would have a blast, I just know it. Plus, I already have extra tickets for the game.”

“Jon,” I warned, trying to stop him from pushing the subject any further. “I don’t know about this. Pat still doesn’t know about us, and do you really think that travelling with you to the All-Star weekend is a good idea? I mean, what if it was an Olympic year? Would you be asking me to go to the Olympics with you?”

“Yes.” Jonathan’s face held a serious expression. “That is exactly what I would do, Cee. I don’t care that Patrick doesn’t know. I don’t care that no one knows. I want to see you in the stands when I take the ice.”

“But the bar-” I started.

“Don’t even try to come up with any other excuses. I am buying you tickets right now, and you are going to be there.”

“Fine,” I surrendered, standing from the bar stool and walking over to the fridge. “Do you want another?”

“Sure,” he nodded, not bothering to glance up from his computer screen. “Do you mind buzzing Dave and Trina up? They should be here any second.”

“Can do,” I agreed, popping the caps off two bottles of beer. “Maybe they can talk you out of buying those tickets for Cameron and me.”

“Too late, it’s already done.” He grinned widely, looking up from the screen. “You two are on the same flight as me.”

“Should I assume Patrick is also on that flight?”

Jonathan rolled his eyes, and took a gulp of beer. “He’s not stupid, Cee. You of all people should know that.”

“I don’t know, Jonny, he must be pretty stupid. He did let this go,” I joked, gesturing to myself.

“I retract my statement,” Jonathan chuckled.

“Which statement might that be?” David asked, walking into the room.

“We were just making fun of Kaner,” I smirked, giving the man a hug, before giving his girlfriend a hug.

Dave nodded and grab himself a beer from the fridge. “What’s been going on? You shot out of practice pretty quickly tonight.”

“I had some place to be,” Jonathan muttered. “Also, I had to convince Cee that getting out of the city to watch the All-Star game was a great idea.”

“Which it is,” David agreed, sitting next to his brother. “You bought a few too many tickets, bro.”

“Those are for Cee and Cam.”

“Oh, buying tickets for your girlfriend? Aren’t you adorable?”

I opened my mouth to argue, but was interrupted by David.

“Don’t even try to deny it. Both Trina and I have figured it out. I know that Bolly has, too. I’ve heard him pestering you about it.”

“How long have you known?” I questioned, stepping over to the counter to start preparing for supper.

“Few weeks now,” Trina spoke up, from her spot on the floor with Cameron. “You would have to be oblivious not to notice. You’re totally in the honeymoon stage of your relationship.”

“What did I tell you?” I raised my brow at Jonathan, as I started chopping onions and garlic. “People know, and if they don’t, they will figure it out when I go to the game to watch you.”

“It’s about time you two got together,” David put in. “Jon’s had a hankering for you from day one.”

“A hankering?” I chuckled at the explanation. “I didn’t even know that was a word people still used.”

“It’s not,” Jonathan assured me.

“Only Dave uses it,” Trina added, teasing her boyfriend. “Is anyone else coming tonight?”

“Bolly, Dunc, Seabs,” Jonathan listened off.

“Pat?” David questioned.

“Uh, he’s coming over to pick up Cameron for the night,” I admitted, tossing the onions into the sauce pan. “We made a deal for him to babysit, that way he can see Cameron whenever he’d like.”

“He should be here shortly,” Jonathan informed us. “Don’t say anything about Cee and me.”

“Hey, your secret is safe with us.”

“Thanks,” Jonathan grinned, as the door knocked. “That must be him.”

I made my way to the door, and opened it to find Patrick standing on the other side, just as expected. “Hey, Pat, thanks for taking care of Cameron tonight.”

The blond nodded, and entered the room. “Is he ready to go?”

“Just needs his jacket, and his bag is by the door. I’ll pick him up tomorrow before your practice.” I watched as the man picked up his son, and cooed at him.

“How long has this been going on?”

I exchanged a look with Jonathan. “What’s that?”

“You two. You’re over here all the time, Carey, did you really think I wouldn’t notice? You’ve had me babysit quiet a bit too, especially since you’re return from New York. Jon punched me in the face after you told him about Sean’s advances.”

“Patrick,” I started, approaching him.

“Don’t, Carey. Just tell me how long you two have been sleeping together, and I’ll leave it alone.”

“A couple months,” Jonathan explained. “It’s not nearly as long as you’re thinking. And we are not just sleeping together.”

Patrick rolled his eyes, heading for the door. “I hope you’re enjoying my ex-girlfriend.”

As soon as the door closed, I felt tears roll down my cheeks. I was surprised that his knowing had impacted me in such a way. “I should have told him earlier.”

“Cee, don’t take it so hard. He’ll get over it.”

“He’s going to talk to my parents.”

“You haven’t told them yet?” Trina asked, sitting at the island with her boyfriend.

I shrugged. “They aren’t big in my life, so I only talk to them when necessary. Ever since they found out about Cameron, they’ve been pretty buddy-buddy with Patrick. He’s mentioned on a few occasions that they called to chat. He promised that he never mentioned our split, but there is a chance he does it now. I know he hates the idea of Jonathan and me together, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he chose to drop a few hints.”

“Not to judge, but don’t you think your parents have a right to know?” David asked.

I shook my head, and returned to the stove, where Jonathan had taken over cooking. “They are never around, so I try not to care about what they think they need know. This is a different story. They love Patrick, and they love Cameron. Plus, Dad is pretty high up in the world, and it would be a huge embarrassment and upset if anyone he sees as important finds out that I have a child with one Hawk, and I am sleeping with the Captain. That’s a rotten tabloid waiting to happen.”