Status: Complete

Turbulence

Wildfire, Wildfire

While the guys dealt with media, I hid myself in my home. There was no way I wanted to be a part of any conversation that were going on between teammates, media and staff. A few of the wives had tried to call, leaving messages about how concerned they were, but I was determined not to take their calls. Lacey had tried to call a few times, but gave up after five or so attempts. After finding out that Patrick had been fooling around with her, given the vague timeline he did, I knew nothing good would come of her and me talking. I was even hiding away from Jonathan, which I knew couldn’t be healthy for our relationship. I truly didn’t want to face anyone, until the mayhem was over.

I rolled my eyes, as a knock came from my door. I was certain that I had made it clear I wasn’t to be bothered, yet every few hours, someone came knocking on the door. At the start, I would get up, check through the curtains who it was, decided I didn’t want to see whoever it was and return to my spot on the couch, where I could watch Cameron play, while I did work. After about the second knock, I got tired of getting up, so I chose to not even worry about it.

“Carey, come on, let me in.”

I groaned inwardly, knowing that the man wouldn’t go away without speaking to me. I pushed myself off the couch, picked up Cameron and made my way to the door. “Can I help you?” I asked, pulling the door open no more than six inches.

“Everyone has been trying to get a hold of you.”

“I know,” I sighed. “I’ve been dodging calls, and doors.”

“Is this because of what has been all over the tabloids? You really shouldn’t pay attention to that stuff.”

“Yeah, except that it is about me, and the ‘love triangle’ that I have gotten myself into. I really don’t want to talk to anyone about it.”

“Can I come in?”

“Fine,” I grumbled, opening the door wider, and stepping to the side.

“We are going to talk,” he stated, kicking off his shoes.

I led him to where I had previously vacated, and set Cameron down so he could play some more. “I’m not really in the mood.”

“You’re never in the mood,” he joked, nudging my arm. “Look, tell me what happened.”

“Honestly, I’m not really sure. We were at the All-Star weekend. Jon flew Cameron and me out, which I argued long and hard about.”

“I don’t doubt it,” he grinned.

“We were enjoying ourselves, watching the game, you know, normal stuff to do on a weekend away. Pat already knew about us, so I even had him to agree to babysit one of the nights, so Jon and I could be alone.

“Then Jon had that nasty crash into the boards, and I guess I overreacted. My mom said that that’s how she figured it out, but she also mentioned that someone might have told the gossip mags back in New York. So, from there, I guess the news of Jon and I spread like wildfire.”

“You’re parents know?” His eyes widened.

“Yeah, I guess they figured it out, since Jon says I acted like he was dying on the ice.”

“Well, you were,” he smirked. “They shot a clip of you while the weekend was being broadcasted.”

“Shut up,” I mumbled. “Anyway, my family is super pissed off, which I guess is understandable, and now Jon and Pat have to keep all information under wraps until it all blows over. According to Lacey, there is no point trying to fight with the press.”

“I suppose she is right, but she wouldn’t even let them make a statement? That seems out of character, especially with all the assumptions being made.”

“Yeah, well, Pat’s just stopped fucking her, so I have a feeling that has something to do with it.”

“Why is that not surprising? It couldn’t have been for that long, though. All of us guys would have heard about it.”

“He says he started flirting with her when we were still together, but I’m not sure whether that was the truth, or just something to spare my feelings.”

“I could see him lying, so as not to make you resent him more.”

“I don’t resent him,” I argued. “But sometimes I do wonder what he gets up to when he is looking after Cameron. We both know that he is not the father type.”

“You can say that again,” he chuckled. “I’m sure he doesn’t do anything stupid.”

“Are we talking about the same Patrick Kane? He is the master at being caught doing something stupid.

“Either way, I don’t think this will last longer than two or three days, unless one of the boys takes matters into their own hands.”

As I finished speaking, David’s phone vibrated. He glanced at the screen, and then up at me. “Turn on the television to the news channel.”

“Why?” I asked, turning on the television, and tossing him the remote.

“This is the scene, occurring now, in front of the United Centre. From what our reporters on site tell us, the fight started as the two athletes were being bombarded with questions about what was recently reported in the gossip magazines.”

Both David and I watched in shock as the reporters did their best to make Patrick and Jonathan turn on each other. Within minutes, it had worked. Jonathan was making a snide remark, and out of no where, Patrick had punched him in the face. It was clear the Jonathan wasn’t sure what to do, with his arm in a sling, he didn’t have much mobility to fight back. The recording showed him trying to reason with Patrick, but he wasn’t having any luck, so he took a swing. The two kept taking shots at each other, until United Centre security staff stepped in, pulling them away from each other.

Jonathan’s face held a pained expression, as he tried to get his arm back into the fabric brace. While Patrick’s expression was one that could have been confused with pride.

“I swear to God,” I moaned, as my cell rang. Glancing at the scene, I rolled my eyes. “Which one do you want to bet is calling me?”

“Patrick,” David chuckled.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Cee, uh, can you do me a favour?”

“Need me to bail you out?”

“I’m not being held or charged for anything. I just need a ride.”

“Is Pat there, too?”

“Yes.”

“Does he want a ride? We might as well present a non-divided front.”

“He’ll take one. Thanks, Cee.”

Hanging up, I looked at David. “What to go for a trip to the police station?”