Status: Complete

Turbulence

I Work Out

While we were talking, both of us must have fallen asleep. I woke up with Patrick’s hand still in mine, and our faces so close, I could feel his steady breaths on my face. I had to smile at how comfortable it felt, after all this time, to be with the curly haired man.

Deciding to let him continue to sleep, I slowly moved off the bed, and ventured toward the living room. I was about to enter when I heard Jonathan’s seething voice, which caused me to freeze.

“You didn’t see them.”

“Calm down, Jon. You know Ceb wouldn’t go and do something stupid like that. Besides, she’s totally over Pat. Trust me.”

“They seemed pretty cozy in bed together.”

“You’re jumping the gun, man. She’s not like that.”

“But Pat is.”

I rubbed my face, knowing this was going to be a tough battle. “He’s not.”

Both men looked at me as I walked into the room.

“He didn’t try anything,” I promised. “We just talked. He needed it, and then we just fell asleep. I think we both needed that.”

“You were pretty close.”

“It was an intense conversation,” I shrugged, as if it wasn’t a big deal. Knowing what had been said, I was certain it was a big deal, and the words would place in my head for days to come. I also knew that what Jonathan had seen was a big deal to him. “He really wasn’t himself when I went in to see how he was, so I sat with him. He asked me to lay with him, and honestly, it didn’t hurt anything, so I did. Please don’t blow this way out of proportion, Jon. I’m not in the mood.”

He exchanged a shocked look with David, before returning his eyes to me. “Cee, I don’t want to make you angry, but look at it from my perspective. You were lying, in bed, with your ex, holding hands, and facing each other, asleep. Things don’t look great from where I’m standing.”

“He just doesn’t want to be left out of Cameron’s life,” I told him, not wanting to say too much about what had been said. “I appreciate that he told me, and really, there might have been some grounds for concern.”

“What do you mean?” David asked.

“With the two of them fighting, who do you think would have won in the end? I want both to be involved, but if things ever went sideways, I would want what is best for Cameron. Usually, what is best for him, is me being happy, too. Realistically, being single for the rest of my life, isn’t ideal, but then again, neither is having the father of your son cut out of his life.”

“What you’re saying is that, ultimately, it doesn’t matter, since your mind is made up.”

“I don’t know if that is an appropriate assessment, but everything comes down to what is best for my family.”

“In that case, you should probably dump this guy, and just marry me,” David joked. “I mean, look at this body…” He ran his hands down his chest, and continued to quote LMFAO. “I work out."