Status: Complete

Turbulence

If You Let Go, You're Undone

“Hey, Jonny?” I hollered through the house. “I’ll be back in awhile. I want to bring some cookies to Davey and Pat before we go out.” Hearing his grumble in response, I grabbed my coat, purse and cookies, and made my way out to my truck. It took a couple tries to start the old thing, but when I finally got it running, I pulled away.

It didn’t take long to get to David’s. I was pulling into the driveway as the front door swung open.

“What are you doing here, Ceb?”

“Just stopping by with some cookies,” I responded, popping out of the running vehicle. “They are fresh, and Jonny is at the house getting ready for our date tonight.”

“And you don’t have to get ready?”

“Funny,” I rolled my eyes. “I’ll get ready once I’m back. I’m going to stop by Pat’s, give him and Cameron some cookies, and see if he’ll keep his son for the night.”

“Ahh, so you are bribing him.”

“I am not,” I argued. “I just need to get rid of these cookies, and I know that Cameron loves them.”

“I bet Pat loves them, too. Just like he loves you.”

“Do not start with this again. I really don’t have time, and I’m in a really great place with Jon.”

“Yeah, yeah, I know. You know that I’m always here for you.”

“I know, and thanks, Davey. I have to get going though. Enjoy the snack.” Before he could argue, I hopped in the truck and pulled out of the driveway.

The ride to Patrick’s seemed almost too familiar, even from a different direction. The streets were the same, houses and apartments lined with trees and sidewalks. My memory flashed to the last time I had been there, and I smiled at the thought as I pulled into a parking spot across from his building. I quickly crossed the street with my things in arm, and scooted through the door that the doorman opened for me.

Knocking on the door, I tapped my toe in wait.

“Cam, put that down!” He turned to me after shouting, and a startled look flashed across his features. “Carey, hey, what are you doing here? I thought I was dropping Cam off.”

“Uh, yeah, actually, I was hoping you and Cameron could have a sleepover. Also, I brought cookies.” I held out the container, anticipating his next move. “Can I come in for a few minutes?”

“Yeah, sure,” he muttered, taken aback. “Why do you need me to keep Cam overnight?”

“Jon asked if we could have a night, you know, just the two of us. I said I’d ask if you were cool with looking after the squirt for the night.” I studied his expression. “I’m really sorry, Pat, but that is the reason, and there is no reason for lying about it.”

“I know,” he sighed. “I’ll look after him, don’t worry. He’d probably like it if you said goodnight.”

“Thanks, Patrick,” I smiled, knowing how hard it was for him to see me so happy with Jonathan. Moving over to Cameron, I spoke again. “This really means a lot, you know.”

“You never told him, did you?”

“Told him?” I asked, pulling my son into me and kissing his head.

“About our talk.”

“What makes you say that?” I quizzed.

“He never knocked me on my ass,” he half joked. “I would have if it was the other way around.”

“I never said a word,” I promised. “You two really didn’t need any more trouble at the time. Plus, it’s too late to say anything now. You and I are, well, friendly enough that it doesn’t seem to bother Jon. With playoffs starting, you both need to be focused on the game. I have a feeling another cup might be on its way to Chicago.”

“Thanks, Cee,” Patrick said, as we ventured back to the door. “I’ll drop Cameron off in the morning on the way to practice.”