Status: Complete

Turbulence

Our Regret Tastes Sweet Through a Soft Liqueur

“A break, Patrick. He has us on a fucking break.”

“It really can’t be that bad.”

“You only take a break if you’re sure it won’t work out,” I told him, dropping onto the couch next to him.

“We just went though the most stressful time of the season, Cee.”

“No excuse.”

“It is,” he argued. “He has a lot on his shoulders at this time of year.”

“And that gives him the right to finish us?”

“You do know that you two haven’t ended your relationship, right? It’s just a break, Cee. Let him take the summer to think, and you know he will come running back to you. I hate to say it, but he loves you, and I know you love him.”

“Have you not been listening?” I asked, bewildered. “He thinks I’m going to go running back to you.”

“But you’re not, and he’ll come around.”

“Ugh,” I sighed, letting my body fall slowly so that my head was in his lap and I was looking up at the ceiling. “This sucks.”

“You’re such a girl.”

“That’s a bit sexist.”

“I’m just saying, you are stressing about something that we all know is going to be perfectly fine. Now, can you stop complaining about Jonathan and just watch the movie?”

“You’re parents are okay with taking care of Cameron for the night?”

“They are. You have nothing to worry about there.” He started stroking my short hair as his eyes focused on the television. “They were really excited when I told them that you were going to bring him down for a couple of weeks.”

“And they are okay with me being here? I kept your kid from you for a year.”

“They are happy you are here,” he assured me. “Mom has always really liked you, and my sisters consider you one of them. It’s kind of strange the relationship you have continued to have with my family since our split.”

“You told them right away?”

“I had to. Mom would have known anyway. She was disappointed, especially once I told her you were pregnant.”

“She doesn’t think we are getting back together, does she?”

“No, don’t worry. I told them before you showed up that there was nothing going on with us, and nothing is going to happen.”

“Thanks, Patrick,” I smiled up at him. “What about you?”

“What about me?”

“Are you okay with me staying here? I know I’m kind of taking over your living space.”

“I’ll be fine, Cee. I’m quite happy with the company, and it doesn’t hurt that we already get along, well as much as you can expect from two people who used to be in love.”

“You know I won’t argue if you ask me to go.”

“I couldn’t. You and Cam are always welcome here. Like I said, I’m happy that I have company.”

“The house must get lonely.”

“Sometimes, but I’ve found ways to get around it.”

I rolled my eyes, and turned so that I was lying on my side, facing the television. “The bar’s doing well.”

“Why do you always do this?”

“What?”

“Talk while I’m trying to watch a movie,” he explained. “It was the most annoying thing you did while we were together.”

“Oh, well, I’m sorry, your highness,” I joked. “Sometimes I just need to get things off my chest.”

“It’s always so mundane,” he whined.

“Again, I’m sorry, your highness. I’m sorry my life is so dull you don’t want to hear about it.”

“You know that’s not what I’m saying, Carey.”

“I know,” I smiled, knowing he couldn’t see it. “Can I keep talking?”

“Fine,” he grumbled. “Tell me about your bar. Lots of nights with the team?”

“From time to time. Not much has changed in that respect.”

“But?”

“I’m thinking about selling it.”

“What?”

“I’m thinking about selling the bar.”

“Why?”

“It takes up a lot of my time,” I said, sitting up and looking at him. “I think I’m ready to move on.”

“It’s your baby, Cee. All you’ve ever wanted in was to open that bar, why are you thinking of selling?”

I shrugged, and looked away. “I need something new.”

“The real reason?”

“What makes you think that isn’t a real reason?”

“Since you keep forgetting, I will remind you that we were together. I can read you. Is it Jonathan? I really don’t want to talk about him anymore.”

“It’s not about Jonathan,” I assured him.

“Then what?”

“Avery,” I whispered. “He was the reason I opened the bar.”

“He’s not a part of your life anymore.”

“He helped with the bar,” I told him. “He’s always there.”

“What if you don’t sell?”

“I’m reminded of him every time I’m there. It’s not a decision I’ve been making lightly. I’ve had months to think about it.”

“Does Jon know?”

I shook my head. “We fought most of the playoffs, so I never got the nerve to tell him.”

“So, what if you don’t sell?”

“Patrick,” I warned.

“No, hear me out.” He shifted so that he was facing me. “What if you keep it? Find someone to run the place for you. You have people to do the books, why not find someone to do everything else? That way you still get to keep the thing you’ve worked so hard to perfect, but you don’t have to set foot in the building.”

“I don’t think so,” I shook my head. “I was thinking of taking a break from the working life, and just being a stay-at-home mother.”

“You’re going to be so bored.”

“Maybe so, but I’ve spent enough time working and not enough time with my boy. I never go to your games anymore either, so it would be nice to get back into that aspect of life.”

Patrick sighed and threw an arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his side as he relaxed against the couch again. “You know I support you, and I know that you are doing this for Cam, and yourself.”

“But?” It was my turn to ask.

“But nothing. I’m here if you need me, and I hope you still let me look after Cam.”

“Pat,” I crooned, tilting my chin up to see his face. “You have nothing to worry about.”

He gazed deeply into my eyes, taking in the seriousness of my statement. His eyes flickered, but focused on mine so quickly I wasn’t sure if it had truly happened.

I could feel his breathing become shallow as we continued our inadvertent staring contest. My brain was screaming at me, knowing exactly what his next move was, but my heart was preventing me from breaking his trance. As I opened my mouth to speak, he closed the space between us, causing my eye lids to flutter closed and my lips to move in sync with his.

As his hands made their way to my face, holding me in place as the kiss deepened, our bodies started to fall back so I was lying on top of him. Gently he released my face and ran his fingers down my sides, eliciting a shiver from me.

While his fiddled with the hem of my tee-shirt, my body realised what was happening, and I abruptly pulled my lips from his. “Shit.”

“I’m sorry, Care.”

I shook my head, excusing his apology. “I forgot what that was like.”

“What do you mean?”

“Getting carried away with you,” I quavered. “I always knew it was easy, but I forgot just how you could affect me. It almost makes me wish I never gave you up.”

“What if, just for the night, we reminisce?” He suggested, slipping a hand under my shirt.

“I can’t.”

“You’re on a break.”

“I’m not Ross,” I muttered, letting the joke slip from my lips.

“You’re much better looking,” he chuckled, stroking the side of my face with his other hand before pulling me in for another kiss.