Status: Complete

Turbulence

Final Adieu

“Carey?”

I turned at the sound of the man’s voice, catching one foot on the other in the process and falling to the cement floor.

“Oh, shit,” he said, rushing over to me. “Are you okay? I really didn’t mean to startle you.”

“Yeah,” I muttered, rubbing my wrist. “I’m fine.” I slowly raised from the hard material beneath me, and looked up into his dark brown eyes.

“I saw Pat with Cam and figured you must be out here.”

“Yeah, he likes hanging out with his dad in the locker room.”

“Right,” he mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck, awkwardly. “So, um, how have you been? I haven’t seen you in awhile.”

“I didn’t think you’d want to see me.”

“I didn’t,” he admitted, causing a pang of hurt to wash through me. “But I saw Cam, and just felt like I needed to see you.”

I nodded, unsure how to respond. It had been six months since he moved everything out of my house, which made it six months since we had seen each other. David had been keeping me up-to-date with what had been going on in the locker room, while Patrick had been making sure I was at all of the home games. Avoiding the players was easy, unless Cameron was with me. He was growing more attached than ever to Patrick.

“How are you? You grew out your hair. It looks nice”

“Thanks, I’m doing well. I sold the bar, so I have some time on my hands.”

“I know,” he stated, not looking me in the eyes. “I stopped in the other day and Sam told me. It’s nice that the new owner kept the bar running.”

“How are you? You scored a nice goal tonight.”

“Thanks,” he smiled. “The season has been good.”

“I’ve been to most of the games.”

“David told me.”

“Can’t keep his bloody mouth shut.”

“You and Pat are good?”

“He told you?”

“Yeah, said he wanted to be honest and respectful. It must be nice, you know, having a family for Cameron.”

“You are still his family, Jon. Whether we are on good terms or not, you’re still his family.”

“That means a lot, but I don’t think we can ever be on good terms, Carey.”

“Yeah, I had a feeling.” I glanced down the hall behind him, and saw Patrick and Cameron emerging from the locker room. “Look, I’m sorry about the way things ended.”

“Me, too, but I’m glad that you and Pat are making it work.”

“We’re taking it slow this time.”

“Well, either way, I’m happy that you’re finally happy.”

“Cee,” Patrick shouted from a few feet away. “You ready to go?”

“I’ll see you around, Jon.” I carefully made my way around the tall brunette, and over to the blonde and my son.

“You okay?” He asked, studying me carefully. “Jon didn’t say or do something to hurt you, did he?”

I shook my head. “We talked like civilised human beings,” I promised, as we left the arena.

“Let’s grab some ice cream on the way,” the blond said, placing our son into his car seat. “Celebrate the win, and all that.”

“I don’t know, Pat, I’m kind of exhausted. Maybe we should just head to bed.”

“Whatever you need,” he whispered, standing in front of me, so my back was against the vehicle. He stared into my tired eyes and brushed my chin length hair from my face. Dipping his head forward, he kissed me, letting me know his love.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, it's all over...Thank you all for reading! It's been a difficult one to write, but your comments and views made me want to keep going.