Status: Active

What You Don't Remember

Preface Part One

Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry was use to excitement and bustle but rarely had it been to this extent and even rarer for it to becoming from the faculty and not the students. The students were in fact not due back to the castle for a couple more weeks which made the frantic excitement even odder since faculty usually didn’t come back to the castle from summer break this early. However, for this occasion Dumbledore had requested everyone to arrive two weeks early and when Dumbledore requested your presence, you didn’t say no. Not that any of the professors really minded. They would have gladly forfeited their entire summer break for this occasion.

Well, with the one exception. Severus Snape did not see what all the fuss was about nor cared to ask someone to explain it. He had been already on his way to Hogwarts for his two week planning time in which he would settle back into his quarters and scoop out new hidden passage ways that students could possibly hide in and break curfew. One student in particular seemed to have a knack for sneaking around after hours and Severus was determined to figure out how a certain Harry Potter was able to get around the castle so easily the past two years. It was this reason and only reason why he had returned so early to Hogwarts. If Dumbledore had sent the owl requesting his presents any earlier he would have simply replied that he was too busy brewing the potion that would keep the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor at bay which was an outright lie since Severus knew he could make that potion almost anywhere. It was ridiculous that Dumbledore had hired a werewolf to teach let alone a werewolf as unqualified as Remus Lupin. It insulted Severus to have to work with Remus let alone have to waste his own time brewing a potion just to keep Remus safe. Not to mention Severus had loathed Remus since their own school days but he wasn’t about to admit to this prejudice, a prejudice he felt was rightly justified.

So no, Severus Snape did not know and did not care about the excitement around him. He was too busy sulking about the upcoming year and having to be reminded of his school days to bother with what was probably a silly event. That didn’t mean though that he would skip dinner that evening which seemed to be when the event was taking place. He always ate in the Great Hall with few exceptions and this ordeal wasn’t going to thwart his routine. So at 7:00 p.m. sharp, Severus strolled into the Great Hall as he always did.

The Great Hall was arranged for the summer holidays. Instead of the usual four long house tables in the middle of the room with the faculty table risen up at the head up the room, there was one rather big round table that the faculty now occupied. Severus stalked into the room which was unusually filled with lively conversation and slid into his chair between Albus Dumbledore and Filius Flitwick. Severus glanced over to the right side of Dumbledore and noticed an empty chair with a sneer. It figured that the new professor would get the seat usually reserved for deputy headmaster. Severus only hoped this excitement wasn’t over Lupin. He didn’t know if he could stand a night dedicated to someone unworthy. It was almost as bad as watching the other professors and students flock over Harry Potter.

“Good evening, Severus.” Dumbledore greeted Snape.

“Evening, Dumbledore.” Severus coolly replied before filling his plate.

Usually nobody talked to Severus, who enjoyed eating in peace. His fellow colleagues had discovered that he was good at intelligent conversation but unless you wanted a snide comment you waited until he started talking. This had been the rule ever since Severus’s first year teaching when he reduced the new divination professor to tears after she tried to befriend him. In all fairness, it was the same year Lily Evans had died and Severus was in an insufferable mood for a long time. He found out that throwing himself into work had numbed the pain of losing the love of his life and giving a detention or two didn’t hurt.

“Aren’t you at least a tad excited, Severus?” Minerva McGonagall asked.

“What?” Severus asked surprised that Minerva, someone who rarely talked to him ever, would be breaking the rule and starting a conversation.

“You can’t tell me that you are not excited to see Ally again.” McGonagall huffed.

“I don’t know an Ally,” Severus gruffed. He wanted nothing better to do than rant in his mind who he hated more: Remus Lupin or Harry Potter.

The Potter kid definitely.

“Don’t know an Ally! How could you not remember Ally Dumbledore! She was the most wonderful student of all time! She was in my house, you know.” Flitwick squeaked out next to Severus.

So this commotion was all over an ex student, a student that Severus didn’t even recall. She must have been beyond mediocre for him not to even remember. Severus usually remembered those students who showed talent and most definitely remembered those who had the I.Q. of a troll. But how could he not remember a Dumbledore? How was that even possible? He was positive that Albus never had children nor his only living bother. He must have heard wrong.

“Did you say Ally Dumbledore?” Severus asked disbelievingly.

“My adopted daughter, Severus,” Dumbledore answered with a tight smile, something unusual for Dumbledore who usually smiled kindly at everything.

“I don’t remember you adopting a girl.” Severus said while furrowing his brows in confusion.

“You don’t remember? How can you not remember? She was after all the brightest student ever to step into Hogwarts. The only student in history to receive N.E.W.Ts in all subjects. She didn’t even use a time-turner!” Flitwick said with growing excitement and now was standing in his chair almost hopping up and down.

N.E.W.Ts in all the subjects? That meant that the girl was above average in his class and he should remember her. Yet he was drawing up a blank. How could he forget a girl Dumbledore adopted and was an excellent student?

“How long ago was she a student here?” Severus questioned curiously but kept a disinterested face. If she had been a student in his early days then he probably wouldn’t have even noticed her even if she was Dumbledore’s biological daughter let alone adopted.

“Wasn’t it six years ago, Albus? Seems like yesterday when you brought her here. Seventeen and full of energy. She used to skip around the halls and she seemed to bright up a room just standing in it. I cried all day when she graduated.” Minerva smiled sadly.

“It was sad day for everyone.” Dumbledore nodded emotionally.

Six years ago? That meant it was also six years from Lily’s death. He was comprehensive then so why couldn’t he recall her?

“She came here when she was seventeen?” Severus asked to make sure he was getting all the information so he piece the puzzle together.

“Yes, the only transfer student Hogwarts has had since then. You really don’t remember, Severus? You were after all her tutor the summer before she started here.” Minerva told him with a concern look on her face.

Now Severus was really concern. He would have definitely remembered tutoring a girl during the summer. Something had to be wrong.

“Oh yes, Severus, you of all people should remember Ally! You were her favorite and she yours. I would claim that I was her favorite except that you two seemed inseparable!” Flitwick chimed in before Severus could voice his concern. Luckily, everyone seemed to forget about Severus and started talking about their favorite memories with the girl so Severus could think.

“How could I not remember her?” Severus asked quietly so only Dumbledore could hear.

“I’m sure that it will be explained later,” Dumbledore solemnly told him and then louder so everyone could hear, “She has arrived.”

Before anyone else could say anything, the Great Hall doors burst opened and a figured strode through.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been working on this for a while now and almost have it fully finished. I split this section up into two parts because I know some readers hate scrolling down for along time so I'll post the second half later on today.

Thank you for reading! Please comment!