Sequel: Silence of a Love Bat

Cries of a Love Bat

Get Our Moneys Worth

The blow came too fast for me to notice. In seconds my stomach was in knots and I was face down on the floor, coughing and choking. Along with the pounding in my head I was slightly dizzy, dazed by the last hit.

“Damn it Ross,” I breathed, sending myself into another coughing attack.

“That’s it you’re done,” I heard Patrick announce. I turned my head to see him walking towards me. He knelt down and put a hand under my chin so I was staring at him. He turned my face, then ran a thumb over the skin under my eye. “That hurt?”

“Yeah,” I mumbled, wishing he would stop. “My stomach is worse though.”

“Alright, well you’re done for now. You can get back to this in a couple of days,” Patrick explained, pulling me into a sitting position to get a better look at my arm.

Days?” I asked, shocked.

“You’re pushing yourself too hard,” Patrick said. “Plus, you’re getting hurt.”

I pulled away from him and stood up, shaking my head. “No. I want to do this.”

Brendon stepped forward, putting a hand on my shoulder. “He’s right Emily, you need a break.”

“I’m fine!” I cried, looking to Ryan for help.

“Guys, if she wants to do this I think we should let her. It’s her choice,” he pointed out.

“No, Emily you’re hurting yourself. You can practice again once you get better,” Patrick urged.

“I won’t get better if I cant protect myself now can I? Sitting at home isn’t going to stop the nightmares, it won’t help my insanity, and it sure as hell won’t help keep William away,” I spat.

“Pete was right, not letting you get involved,” Patrick gritted angrily.

“Well Pete’s not here!” I yelled. “He’s gone Patrick! William has him and now there is no way we are getting him back. There is no excuse for me to not learn how to fight! He’s not here to protect me anymore.” By the end I was whispering, regretting everything that I had just said.

“What about us? Me, Joe, Andy…even Brendon and Ryan!” Patrick said. “Are we nothing to you anymore?”

“Patrick I can’t live like this! Being stuck here while you all go out and get hurt, only to come home barely breathing. What do you expect me to do? I want to learn how to fight, I need to learn how to fight.”

“Emily…” Andy said, sitting up from the workbench where he was watching. “Look last week when you brought this up…we didn’t think you’d want to know that bad. We know you can’t go without learning how to fight and you’re getting better! But-” he pointed to my wrist, “you don’t have as much energy as you used to.”

“He has a point,” Joe said. “Your mark is fading. You can’t forget that you were living off him. Some things are going to be harder now…”

I closed my eyes, forcing myself to not cry. “Look I know it’s my fault but just let me do this.”

“Em, we never said it was your fault,” Patrick whispered, coming over to pull me into a hug.”

“Yeah! Brendon and Ryan couldn’t do anything! Going against Will would have got us all killed, so it is my fault,” I sighed, removing myself from Patrick and heading to the door. “It’s been five weeks since he was taken. Our chances are gone.”

When I walked outside two hours later it was still only twelve at night. Joe and Any were having a video game tournament so trying to sleep was useless with all their yells of excitement. Patrick had joined Ryan and Brendon in their discussion of locations for upcoming fights, after working more on some of the broken ray guns. I slipped out easily unnoticed.

The wind was cold, making me rethink only wearing a sweatshirt. Fall was over and winter had finally come; the weatherman was predicating snow tomorrow. Pete’s birthday was in two weeks, giving just enough time to finish my training and be able to go to the fight; that’s if Patrick ever lets me finish.

I decided it would be best to head into the diner. I still hadn’t had dinner, and I was getting really cold. After that I planned on heading to park to just go sit on a bench, even if it was a stupid idea.

“Well, isn’t this a surprise?” I turned in the direction of the voice, as I was looking for an open table. “Come sit with us, we have room.”

I walked cautiously over to the booth and looked at the spot he was motioning for me to sit in. “It’s okay William, I only came in here to pick up some food. I wasn’t going to stay-”

“No, I insist. Join us Emily,” he urged, smiling. I slid into the seat next to him, fearing what he would do if I said no more than what would happen if I stuck around. “How rude of me! Gabe, this is the Emily. Emily, this is my business partner Gabe.”

Gabe, who was sitting across from Will by the windows, stuck a hand out for me to shake. I took it and he said, “The pleasure is mine.”

“Gabe says he and his clan, The Cobras, might join us for the next few fights. He is thinking about moving here,” William explained, like he needed to keep me up to date with the latest gossip.

“Oh,” I said weakly. “I’m sure you’ll like it here.”

Gabe looked out the window and sighed a little. “It seems too cold.”

“Nothing you can’t get used to,” William said, moving his hand in a calming gesture. “You forget how cold it can get when the humans give off their body heat.” At this Gabe smiled.

A waitress walked over with three plates off food, only to quickly retreat back into the kitchen.

“Uhh, Will I didn’t mean to take someone’s seat…”

“Oh nonsense, he can sit with Gabe!” William dismissed. “Here, we wont eat this. Get our moneys worth.” He slid a plate of French fries and a hamburger in front of me before handing me some ketchup. I took a small bite and my mouth was watering. I really hadn’t eaten at all today. “We ate before we came in case you were wondering.”

I nodded as Gabe continued their conversation. “We would have to get our own place. The manor is nice, but not what the others would be comfortable in.”

“We can find something. It shouldn't be that hard! Heck, she and her guys just bought a warehouse!” William laughed.

“Really?” Gabe said, turning his attention to me as I bit a French fry in half.

Before I could respond a low growl traveled across the room, and I snapped my head in its direction.

“Now, now of that,” William warned. “I thought you would be okay with seeing her again Pete.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a side of Patrick and William that I was edgy to write about.

Yay! I felt like one chapter was enough. I missed Pete too much to keep him out any longer.

So because I'm craving a hamburger, the Kraby Pattie goes to:
shortygirl

Love you! Even you silent readers.

What do we think? Should we make Pete angry and possessed or have him sweep Emily off her feet?

Thanks everybody!!!
<3