Demon Chaser's Daughter

Another investigation, another roommate

"Dad" I said as I walked into the kitchen. My dad was digging in the fridge. I am not sure what he was looking for exactly. Food in our fridge is rare. I mean, we travel 9 months or so out of the year so it is hard to keep food in the fridge.

"Dad!" I exclaimed, making him jump and hit his head on the inside of the fridge. I chuckled a little. "Sorry. I always forget that even though you chase demons you tend to be a really jumpy person." My dad turned around rubbing the top of his head. He looked at me, closed one eye and squinted the other.

"It's ok Ray. Is there something you want?"

"Yeah, I am hungry and you, being the adult of the household...legally....needs to feed me. Oh and there is something playing ball up in my room. I didn't even know I had a ball." I said as I went sit down at the island. "Oh and could you grab me a soda please?"

"What?" My dad asked me as he handed me a Coke. Really, did I have to go through that lingo again?

"Your daughter wants food. Invisible thing playing ball in daughter's room. Thank you for soda" I said slowly and loudly.

"What do you mean playing ball?" my dad asked as I opened my soda. I gave him my "are you serious?" look.

"Ah...I mean that you brought a spirit home from work again and it is making a ball roll around my room." Before I could say anything else my dad ran upstairs.

"And apparently the whole law where you are supposed to feed your child disappears at the mention of something you cannot see" I said as I grabbed my soda and a bag of chips. I went to go sit down on the couch waiting for my dad to come back.

"You see these things and you don't record them?" My dad asked as he walked into the living room. I just looked at him. Things like this happen all the time. If he wants everything recorded why don't we just set out video cameras all over the house? Oh we could do our own reality show!

"It never crosses my mind to record them dad, it is such a normal occurrence in this household." I said munching on sour cream and onion chips.

"And couldn't you find something a little healthier to eat?" My dad said as he walked into the kitchen. "You are 14 not 4, you can fend for yourself."

"And I did" I said holding up the bag of chips. My dad gave me a sigh as I heard him start messing around in the freezer. I turned on the TV and started watching "Teen Mom." I fell for this show after telling people I would never watch it. What can I say? Drama can be interesting when I am not involved.

"And you are never being let out of this house again." I heard my dad say from behind me. "I mean aren't these kids like teenagers? Are they not just a couple years older than you? And they have had babies...."

"Dad you are not allowed to watch TV, remember? It gives you crazy ideas and then I am never allowed to leave the house."

"Did you hear that?" my dad asked after we both heard a very faint scream.

"The scream? Yep." I said as I continued to watch my show and eat my chips. "It sounded like it came from your dungeon. Imagine that. Those stuffed dolls that you have in cages must think they are real again."

I could tell my dad was looking at me. I didn't need to look at him to see I was getting the "Rayna enough" look from him. I just knew. Call it intuition.

"Rayna, I am going to go into the dungeon and check it out. When I come out I would like you to be in the kitchen making the burgers I took out of the freezer. I think they are still good."

"Ok dad" I said as I got up and looked at the burgers. "I wonder what Billy would say about this?" I said out loud as I looked at the box.