Status: Complete

The Christmas Box

I can smile because I spent Christmas with you

Gerard is approaching thirty years old. He looks back at his life and realizes how he has accomplished much of nothing. He is still a struggling artist who nearly failed art school. It’s not even that he is bad at art but there are so many other people like him in New York, what makes him so special? Nothing makes him special.

Everyday he comes back to the same shitty apartment, eats the same flavorless food, and falls asleep in his big bed all alone. Even his younger brother is doing better than him. His parents are so proud of his brother Mikey but they can’t possibly be proud of Gerard. Mikey has a wife and kids and is a successful school teacher. His parents are always so happy talking about Mikey. When they talk about Gerard it’s always the same routine “Well, he’s still trying to be an artist.”

Being an artist had been his dream since he was a small child. He kept trying to illustrate a comic book but was turned down numerous times. Eventually he gave up. Now he just paints what he can and tries to sell it to people. Maybe he should stop and get an actual job but he can’t bring himself to do it. He can’t let go of his dream, of his passion in life. If he can’t do art then life is not worth living for him. Not that his life is going too great right now either.

He is standing in front of his easel throwing paint onto paper when he hears a knock on the door. He sighs, sure that it is the owner of the building asking for this month’s rent. He opens the door, ready to tell the man that he still has no money, then stops. There is no one to be seen. He shakes his head and starts to go back inside his apartment when he sees it. There is a box on the floor in front of his door. It is wrapped in shiny silver paper and there is a bow on top. He isn’t sure who left it or even if it is his. Since there is no one in sight he takes the box into his apartment and sets it on his table.

He stares at the box. It could be something bad inside like a bomb but he’s pretty sure it’s not. He isn’t sure what to do about it. Should he open it? What if it’s not his? In the end, he decides to open it despite his doubts, his curiosity getting the better of him.

The box is filled with all different kinds of items. There are brand new paint brushes, colorful professional paints, artist pencils, bunches of cash, and all kinds of coins. He can barely believe it. The box was obviously meant for him but who would give these gifts to him?

The next time there is a knock on his door he practically runs. He is hopeful that whoever is knocking now is the person who left the gift. He needs some explanation and he should probably thank them too. The door opens and there is in fact someone standing there. It is a man he has seen around the building a few times. He is smiling and holding a pan in his hands. “Hey, I’m Frank Iero. I live next door to you,” the shorter man says.

Gerard nods. “Yeah, I’m Gerard Way.”

“I know,” Frank grins wider. “I made this lasagna and it’s too much for myself so I thought maybe you’d like some. I don’t want it to go to waste”

“Oh…” Gerard doesn’t know what to say.

“It’s not poison or anything, I promise,” Frank teases playfully.

“Okay, come in,” Gerard offers.

They go sit at the table and Gerard locates some clean dishes to serve the lasagna. Finally he sits down to face Frank. He takes a bite of the lasagna. “Do you like it?” Frank asks.

“Yeah, it’s good,” Gerard responds. “I can’t really cook. I’m terrible at it.”

“Did you like your present?” Frank gestures at the open box on the table.

“Yeah…do you know who gave it to me?”

“I did,” Frank answers.

“What?”

“I gave it to you,” he repeats.

“Why?”

Frank shrugs. “You seemed like you could use it.”

“I’m sorry Frank, I really appreciate this, but I don’t understand…” Gerard says.

“It’s alright. We’ve talked before though I don’t blame you if you don’t remember me, most people don’t. When I first moved here you were the first one to make me feel comfortable. You bought me a coffee once and I bought one of your paintings a while ago. You seem like a good guy. I know you’re all alone over here and I’ve heard things from people. I guessed that you needed new art supplies but from what I gathered you need rent money at least. What I gave you should cover it with a little left over.”

“Wow…I’m really shocked. I do kind of remember you know that you reminded me. Are you sure you want to do all of this for me?”

“Yes,” Frank nods.

“That’s really…incredible. Thank you so much Frank.”

“You’re welcome,” Frank smiles.

“Is there something I can do for you?” Gerard questions.

“No,” Frank shakes his head. “I’m fine.”

“You live alone too, don’t you? At least, stay here for a while. We can keep each other company. I’ll test out my new art supplies if you want to see,” Gerard offers.

“Okay.”

They talk a little while Gerard tests out his new art supplies and Frank watches. It turns out Frank is a few years younger than Gerard. He is currently living alone after his fiancé left him for another guy. He works at a record company and plays guitar.

After a while, they go into Gerard’s bedroom to look at all of the paintings hanging on his walls. Gerard is focused on one, describing his technique, when Frank gets in close to look. When Gerard turns their faces are only inches apart. “I like you Gerard,” Frank says.

“I like you too Frank,” Gerard replies.

It is Frank who leans in to close the distance between them. It is Frank’s who’s lips capture Gerard’s in a shocking kiss. It is Gerard that pulls away first. His eyes widen.

“Why did you just do that?” he demands.

Frank shrugs. “I like you.”

“You barely know me.”

“I know enough.”

“You were engaged to be married to a girl. You can’t like guys.”

“I like both girls and guys.”

“Maybe you should leave,” Gerard suggests.

Frank shakes his head. “You don’t really want me to leave, do you?” Frank challenges. He steps forward and kisses Gerard again. He wraps his arms around Gerard.

Gerard slowly melts into the kiss. He relaxes against Frank, his own arms going around the younger man. Their lips move against each other gently at first and then it’s more passion. Their bodies press together and their tongues dance. They fall into Gerard’s bed, Frank on top. He is grinding against Gerard and Gerard can’t stop the moan that slips out of his mouth. His brain is clouded with lust and all he can think to say is “I need a condom.”

In the morning Gerard wakes up with a warm body beside his for the first time in a long time. Frank is smiling at him and gazing at him in a kind of adoring way. “Merry Christmas Gerard,” he says.

“Merry Christmas Frank,” Gerard replies.

“Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure,” Gerard yawns.

“Go on a date with me.”

Gerard stares at this man in his bed and he smiles. “Okay.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I really would appreciate it if you took the few seconds to leave me a comment