Short Stories

Longing

I stare absent-mindedly at the blackboard in front of me. My history professor is going on about one of the world wars but my mind is focused solely on his words. 

Last night, I got a text from one of my closest guy friends, which was only slightly out of the ordinary; he rarely texts first. He asked me to meet him at the park, and I obliged. Arriving, I waited ten minutes for him, and when he arrived, he confessed to me. I'm a shy girl, so once he finished talking, all I could do was stare.

Actually, that's inaccurate; I could also take off running in the opposite direction. I took a shortcut back to my house, then curled up in my room, trying desperately to dissect the meaning behind his every word. It led only to confusion. When I tried texting him, he wouldn't respond, so I felt an apology was needed.

When I got to school this morning, he didn't show.

Worried I texted him before school, then again as classes started. Now, three periods later, I still have no response.

"you're beautiful," he'd said. "I've liked you since I met you." he's one of the sweetest guys I've met, and to be honest, I've had a bit of a thing for him as well, but my awkwardness and closed-off attitude has always kept me from any sort of flirting. I groan and hide my flushed face in my arms, praying for the day to end quickly.

As the final bell rings, I dart from my seat, rushing to escape the crowds of students that swarm the building. Finally making it out of the school, I begin to walk. "you're adorable," "painfully shy," "really cool and attractive."

Words play through my head as my feet carry me forward. His words carry me forward. Suddenly I stop and look around. This isn't my house, I think, not even close. My face flushes. His house has always been a second home to me. I remember playing in the yard together as kids, and running up and down the stairs on rainy days. So many childhood memories flash through my brain as my eyes flood with tears. I've ruined everything, I think.

Almost desperately, I run up the front walk and bang loudly on the door. His mother answers. "not here," she tells me apologetically.

I only have to think for a second before my feet take off again. The park, the place we met all those years ago. The peaceful place I've disrupted with the painful memory of last night's incident. Entering the park, I see him.

Taking a minute to compose myself and rub my face dry of tears, I walk up to him. He looks up at me and his face immediately fills with pain.

"I was looking for you," I mumble, suddenly shy again. He doesn't respond; there's an awkward silence. "listen," I continue, clearing my throat, "I'm so sorry about last night." suddenly the words are tumbling out of me, and I can't seem to stop myself. "it surprised me, and I just didn't see it coming. You know me better than anybody, so you know how shy I am; hell, you even said it yourself! Please don't be offended my my running away. In fact, just forget it altogether! It was stupid of me, and cowardly. Especially because it hid my true feelings. I don't want this. I don't want us to not be friends anymore. I don't know what I'd do without you, because you mean the world to me and I love you." my eyes fill with years as I choke out, "please don't ignore me anymore. Please don't leave me alone."

I squeeze my eyes shut, and turn away, afraid to see his reaction. When nothing happens, I slowly look back at his face to see him smiling softly. He grasps my hands and kisses the knuckles gently, his eyes filled with laughter and happiness. I smile at him and sniffle and know that I'm forgiven. My best friend is back, and I have nothing to worry about. 

Nothing to worry about except the longing that has been planted in my heart, a longing that will only grow.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, idk if the way I'm doing this is allowed or not, but I figured it'd be easy than making a million different stories that are all oneshots... :/

Anyway, I wrote this one in the middle of the night; I might decide to enter it into a contest or something... Tell me if you like it, or think it's too common. :/