Status: comments = updates

Now and Forever

A White Room

Cole leads me to another building. This one was is silver like the field, reflecting the bright sun. The building is a several stories tall, but not taller than the Field. It looks newer and more important by the way people flow in and out of it like a bee hive.

We entered the metal building and, once again, I became speechless. I’ve never been in such a modern building. Everything is so sleek and sharp, but elegant. There were grays like a storm cloud or like rocks in a riverbed; there were whites like a daisy, and few things that were black.

People wore either gray, dark brown or navy blue shirts with black pants. I felt as though I’m the only one wearing all black until I saw someone in front of me. They wore the same as me, and followed, rather awkwardly, a person in a brown shirt.

Cole gestured me to follow him to a desk. He talked to a lady wearing navy blue, smiled, laughed, and talked some more. I gave up trying to understand what they were talking about and let my eyes look and observe more. I noticed a giant square cube that hung from the ceiling by a cylinder. It looked so heavy, like the cylinder of metal barely kept it up. Light radiated out of it. Suddenly, I remember what it’s called. A chandelier, but from what I’ve heard, far bigger than one.

“Hello?” A lady dressed like Cole – a dark brown top tight to her slim body along with black leggings - says. Unlike Cole, though, she wore a metallic black pin right by her heart where the symbol depicts a cross inside of a circle. The woman is ten, twenty years older than me.

“Cole,” he introduces himself and put his hand out, as if to shake the other woman’s hand.

She stood, indifferent, and replied, “I know who you are, Cole, and we both know I’m here for the girl.” She looks to me. “Welcome to the Main . . . now follow me.”

I followed the woman up flights and flights of stairs, through doors, more doors requiring keys, passcodes, identification, through hallways, and eventually, I’m standing in a white room with gray flooring. I immediately feel scared, intimidated, and vulnerable. They – whoever they were – wouldn’t allow Cole to come with me.

Eventually, a dark blue shirted man walks in. I smile to him, he smiles back, we shake hands, and sit down at a plain wooden table.

“Electra, right?”

“Yes, sir.”

“No need for ‘sir.’ I’m Kojax, but call me Jax”

“Alright,” I reply, “Jax”

“First off, I need to know where you’re from and I then I can begin to answer questions.”

“A village – Jaycrest – south of here,” I say. At first I’m wary about answering the truth. What if he finds something out about the betrothal? Or about my dad and Fiver? Even worse, my mother. But, I’m so tired, exhausted, and too last to lie. Besides, these people seem like people one should not to lie to.

“Is it mapped?” He asks simply and pulls out a medium-sized tab.

“Um, I believe so.”

As he types away at the tab, and I notice he’s the same age as Cole. I’m curious to why so workers are so young. I haven’t seen anyone over the age of fifty and only one or two people who looked to be in their forties. I shouldn’t be surprised. Life is short. I memory plays in my mind. It was the day my dad took me to a big village, miles away from home to see a doctor. I was just going to get a report, something you go in for every 5-10 years. I remember waiting in a lobby for my dad. Time passed and passed, until he finally came with the results of my report. I still remember the text printed on the cheap paper.

Height: 3’11
Expected Height: 5’7
Weight: 39 lbs.
Expected Weight: 120 lbs.
Diseases: --
Expected Diseases: --
Age: 6 years
Life expectancy: 31 years
Doctor Notes: Underweight, strong, good immune system, but everything looked okay. Based on other’s past statistics, your personal statistics, your living situation and conditions, your life expectancy
is a bit lower than normal. I’m sorry for the news, but do not give up hope. It is an expectation, and our predications are not always correct, so you still can live a very long life.

I wonder if it’s still true. Because if it is, I’m already about halfway through my life. The thought scares me, but I’m not scared of death. I’m scared that I won’t have enough time to live a good life.

“Alright. I’m all set. I’m going to read out loud parts of your citizen report,” Jax says, looking at the tab still.

I nod. Do I have a choice?

“Your father was Chief of Jaycrest, mother was a Rebel.” Notice the pause in his reading. He thinks of how that worked out. “You had an arranged marriage, but you were released.” He continues on, but my mind is racing. Who released me from my betrothal? Was it Tyrus, the person I was supposed to marry? He would never do that though – he loved me but I couldn’t possibly love him back. I think again. I couldn’t love anyone back.

“. . . relocating for own purposes. Destination: Main City.”

Again, I’m taking by surprise. Tyrus and his father sent bounty hunters and so many other people to retrieve me. I was regarded as a runaway and was wanted, meaning, there was a reward for bringing me back to Jaycrest. Every time, though, I evaded the attempts to bring me back or they succeeded, but I eventually escaped. It was some 54 times.

But now, my status is being changed to a migrant. That means no more reward, no more bounty hunters, and lastly, I no longer belong to Jaycrest. I don’t ever have to go back. I guess in a way, I’m free now.

“Yes or no?” Jax says, sounding impatient.

“Sorry, what?” I ask. I zoned out completely.

“So you are staying at the Main?”

I pause. I think. I answer, “Yes.”

Then, he says we need to make me an identification for me – a card. I answer question about my aged, height, weight, eye color, hair color, birthdate, family, etc.

“Anything else?” he asks, wrapping it up.

“Nope,” I reply, relieved. “Wait! Yes.”

“What?” He’s seems confused, but waits for my answer.

“I own a genetically enhanced black lab named Fiver who was given to me by my father,” I say, making sure to add in details. I add, “He mainly hunts and lives in the forest, but is always within distance of hear me whistle. He helps me hunt, and don’t you dare say it’s stupid because he has saved my life several times.”

Kojax looked completely bewildered, but suddenly he grins. “Okay. I’ll go give my boss your info so he can approve you and make you a pass. I t should all be done by the end of the day.”

He stands up and leaves the room. Cole comes in, smirking. I don’t know why. His face is red like he is blushing.

“What’s up?” I ask, suspicious of his mood.

“Nothing,” he smiles. He’s a good liar, and I don’t feel like finding out the truth.

“Where are we going now?” I look up to him, since he’s several inches taller than me.

“My home to get some sleep. We’ll pick up your pass in the morning.”

I see Kojax once more on our way out.

“Hey, listen, I know my buddy Cole’s got you covered, but let me know if you need anything.” Jax turns around, but then turns back to me, as if a lightbulb just went off in his head. “Oh! Right, tomorrow, I’ll take you for your physical assessment. Not like the one at the Field.”

Cole turns red. I smile and wave to Jax. I turn to Cole and whisper, “Cole, just forget about the Field; it wasn’t your fault.”

He mutters something under his breathe, and I look away. He’s mad for some reason and it making me mad because I can’t figure out why he’s mad, if that makes sense. Through hallways, doors, and stairs, we’re out of the building.

Suddenly, I’m tackled. My body hits the concrete hard and I hear a snap that probably came from my own body. My head hurts, and my hair and face is soaked. In water? No. The metallic taste of blood hits my mouth.

Then, everything slows down and blurs. For the second time now, all goes black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Agh. I wrote this in like three hours and didn't revise it. Sorry I've been busy and stuff and haven't updated lately. Whatever. Here ya go. Read, rate, comment!!