Status: We Owned the Night

Never Falling (John's Story)

Emergency

"Why you so happy this morning?" Denise asked as Melody waltzed into clinic.

"Sometimes it's good to dance." she replied. After John kissed her a second time he carried her up to his room and literally threw her onto the bed. He disappeared before returning after about ten minutes and Melody had been too lazy to look for him. He had changed into sweat pants and a plain t-shirt and when she gave him a questioning look he just smiled and crawled into bed with her and pulled her close before she seemed to doze off.

"Right, so I heard you met my sister. You'd be the first girl that has made John shoo Michelle away. Normally he'd break whatever date he was on to tend to her. She isn't too fond of you." Denise said causing Melody to shrug.

"Well I'm not to fond of her either. She's rude, and I don't deal with rude people well." she replied, Denise smiled.

*****
"John, Cara's gone into labor early and I need for someone to watch Seth." Jake said in a panicked voice. John felt something had been up for the past hour before Jake finally called. He had just got to the station too.

"Alright, calm down. I'm heading back out the door now." John replied before stopping at the front desk. "Holly tell Hanson I had a family emergency and he knows what to do." he said to the woman who had been at the station longer then he had. The older woman smiled and nodded.

"Well I'm stressing! Cara wasn't due for another month!" Jake said in fear for his wife and unborn child.

"So was Seth and looked how great everything went. I'm on my way, but got to go, see you in an hour." John said before hanging up and getting into his SUV. John stopped by Carter Veterinary Clinic to tell Melody, but as he pulled into a spot he wondered if he should. She wasn't his girlfriend and he might be back by time she got off, even if he wasn't she could always call him. Yet he still found himself looking down at Denise asking for Melody.

She came out in her white lab coat and she was wearing glasses, she looked cute. Shaking the thought from his head he met her halfway.

"John? What's wrong?" she asked with a worried tone.

"Cara went into labor early and I have to run into Raven to help Jake with Seth."

"Oh, is she okay?" Melody asked.

"Seth was early too, so I'm going to say yes. But if I'm not home when you get there that's where I'll be."

"Did you want me to come with you? Or meet you? I mean I know I can't be much help but I-"

"Just finish your shift then call when you get done, I'll let you know from there." he said quickly.

"Oh, okay." she said a little quieter before turning away and walking away.

"Calling would have been so much easier." Denise muttered, he glared at her before hurrying back out to his SUV.

He made it to Raven City Hospital in about thirty minutes and found his way to where his family would be in about five.

"John!" Seth said happily as he ran towards him, John smiled and scooped up his nephew. His brother held a worried look but he still managed to smile at his brother.

"How's she doing?" John asked as he looked in the direction of the room she was in.

"Well she currently hates me, but other then that she is good so far." Jake answered as he rubbed his face with his hands.

"Mommy said a lot ov bad words and dad told me not to copy her." Seth said with a matter-of-fact tone. "Hey! Where's Melly?" he asked looking around.

"Melody?"

"Yeah! She pwomised we'd play again and I don't see her!" he pouted.

"She's at work."

"Well I want to see her!"

"Seth." Jake said giving a warning tone. Seth wiggled trying to get down, John sighed and set the kid to his feet. Seth didn't move away from John just crossed his arms in front of himself as he pouted.

"I like her better then mean old Michelle." Seth mumbled; Michelle never did seem to care for John's family. Especially after Cara gave John a hug in front of her. She had always gotten so jealous over nothing.