Status: We Owned the Night

Never Falling (John's Story)

Burn

Melody's eyes widened as John pulled into a drive that led up to a beautiful cabin house. She saw horses standing around in a fenced in area eating grass, running around, or just standing. The property looked huge! She loved horses, as a child she was constantly begging her parents for a horse. She pulled up next to John and put the Jeep in park before killing the engine and climbed out.

"This is amazing!" she said looking around in awe.

"Thank you. I'll go get the pepper, wait here."

"Okay." she said not really paying attention to him as she looked around. Her eyes landed on a black Escalade coming up the drive. She couldn't see much except for there was two people in the SUV. They pulled up on the other side of where John parked and she watched as a woman got out...a pregnant woman with beautiful bright red hair. Walked around the SUV was a guy who looked just like John except he looked a little more relaxed and his face wasn't as thin, he was holding a little boy. The woman looked at Melody as they got closer.

"Hi!!" the little boy said happily who looked about two or three, she smiled.

"Hello."

"John know you're here?" the look alike asked.

"Uh yes, he's getting me something." she said with a warm smile.

"Uncle John!" the little boy said happily and started wiggling to get down as John walked out of the house. John smiled and picked up his nephew.

"Hey kiddo." he handed the pepper to Melody.

"So John who's this?" the woman asked.

"Oh, she's new to Carter and her Jeep is having some problems. Melody this is Cara, Jake, and this is Seth their son. Guy's Melody."

"What made you want to move here?" Jake asked.

"I'm the new vet. By the way where can I find a cheap place to stay for about a month or so? I haven't really done much exploring."

"There's a-"

"Here. There's four bedrooms including his own." Cara interrupted. John glared at her.

"I'd rather stay somewhere where I'd feel welcomed not unwanted." Melody said seeing John's glare and then turned around to get to work. She wasn't sure what she did to get on his bad side but she was too tired and annoyed to care. She was also very forgetful and she grabbed the hot radiator cap. "Ah! Sweet sassy molassey!" she hissed out in pain as she shook her hand as her fingers started to welt up already.

She gasped the second John grabbed her hand and looked at her fingers. He looked at her, "Are you sure you know what you're doing?" he asked his eyes softening.

"I forgot." she mumbled embarrassed.

"Come on well put something on it to get it to stop hurting." he said leading the way towards the cabin. His brother and Cara followed behind her giving curious glances back and forth between each other.