Status: We Owned the Night

Never Falling (John's Story)

Like

Melody laughed as the giant black dog she learned was named Duchess licked her cheek awaiting for her to toss the tennis ball down the hall again. She handed the ball over to Seth and he threw it down the hall and it bounced off the floor hit the wall and bounced into a room and Duchess chased after it. Her nails clicking loudly and both Melody and Seth laughed as the horse slid right past the room and scrambled to straight up. A small blonde and blac dog named Babe Magnet layed in her lap attempting to sleep would growl everytime Duchess came back.

"Well looks like everyone likes Melody so why not let her stay?" Cara asked as soon as she walked into the kitchen were John and her husband were talking. Cara knew exactly why her brother in law was being harsh to the new comer even if he wouldn't admit it to himself. John looked at her.

"This isn't a hotel, and I don't know much about her."

"Ask her questions. Besides she keeps your hounds busy, and Babe Magnet forgave you faster for coming home late. She'll probably hate you if you send Melody away already."

"The dog doesn't own this place she'll get over it in a week anyways. Michelle is coming home this weekened and I don't want her to get jealous that I have another woman here."

"John, Michelle sleeps with you once or twice when she's here for a few weeks then spends the remaining time away from you. What's there to be jealous of! She wants nothing to do with you."

"No other woman wants to stick with me. Why chase away the only one who does?"

"Just talk to Melody, ask her things. Be friend her. Hell maybe she'll be able to put up with you longer then a few hours. She's a lot prettier then manly Michelle anyways, maybe the gay rumor flying around will die down."

"What gay rumor?" John growled.

"Mommy!" Seth yelled happily running into the kitchen. Jake picked up the toddler so Cara wouldn't attempt to.

"What sweetie?" Cara asked after she glared at John. Melody walked into the kitchen a few seconds later carrying Babe Magnet like a baby since she'd squirm if she was held any other way.

"I think Duchess has finally worn out." Melody said as she walked over to where Babe's food bowl was and sat her down on her paws and then stood up straight to look at everyone. Cara had made Melody stay for dinner so while the boys cooked out on the grill Melody sat and talked to Cara.

"John used to be more outgoing and fun to be around. He was constantly cracking jokes, I'm not sure when but sometime this past year he just went serious. Seemed angry all the time. We used to come out here every other weekend now we come out here like once a month. So it isn't you." Cara had said trying to reassure her.

"I think we should get going." Jake said looking at his brother. John nodded; and that's when Melody started to feel antsy. She should leave as well or hope she can at least get John to talk to a bit. She looked around the country styled kitchen which was clean and tidy. From what she saw his entire house was clean and tidy. Two story cabin styled house. The minute you enter the house you enter the living room which is connected to the dinning room then through to the kitchen. Or then there's the long hallway if you didn't want to go into the dinning room. The stairs to go upstairs was at the end of the hall or if you didn't want to go up the stairs to the right you could go into the kitchen at the left. She didn't do much exploring other then that.

"Alright I'll see you guys later then." John said as he ruffled Seth's strawberry blonde hair.

"Bye uncle John!" Seth said waving and squirmed wanting down. Jake sighed and set him down and he ran over to Melody wrapping his arms around her leg. "We play again?" he asked hopeful.

Melody smiled. "Of course little dude."

"Prowmiss?"

She knelt down and held out her pinky. "I pinky promise." she laughed and helped him link his pinky with her's. He giggled and wrapped his arms around her neck to hug her and then he hurried back to his dad.

"We hope to see you around." Jake said looking at Melody.

"Well if you have a sick cat or dog bring it on over." she said with a laugh, he smiled.

"If John let's you stay here maybe will see you one more time before getting your own place." Cara said with an innocent smile determined to get John to agree. He only rolled his eyes.

"Bye guys." Melody laughed as Jake led the way out. She looked at John awkwardly. "So um where's a cheap place to stay?"