Status: We Owned the Night

Never Falling (John's Story)

Janet

John glanced at his alarm clock which read 1:34AM and sighed. He had sent Melody to the Dawn's Inn which was twenty dollars a night after his brother and Cara left. She hid her emotions well but he didn't miss the disappoint she showed for a split second and it was the reason he lied awake. He should have let her stay, at least one night since she was new to town and she was the vet after all since Janet was retiring finally.

"I sure am going to miss seeing your spunkiness." Janet had said as she patted Babe Magnet's head a week before.

"Miss? Where are you going?" John had asked.

"I'm sixty three years old. I'm retiring!" she said giving Babe a treat.

"Who's taking over then?"

"Her name's Melody, she's young but I talked to her on the phone and I can just tell she's going to do just fine. I think you'll like her!" Janet had said before smiling and walking out.

John turned away from his alarm clock and closed his eyes once more attempting to sleep.

"Mom there's no way I can afford to stay here for twenty dollars a night. So I'll be home tonight. Love you, bye." she said leaving a voicemail. After doing the math she realized there was no way she'd get far so she gave up and made a decision. Throwing her cellphone into her purse she got out of her Jeep and walked towards 'Carter Veterinarian' and took in a deep breath before walking in. The woman sitting behind the desk looked up and smiled, she looked around Melody's age.

"Hi can I help you?" she asked.

"Yes. I'm Melody Grace, I'm supposed to see Janet Disher."

"Oh! You're the new Vet?"

"Well hopefully." she answered just as an older woman walked out.

"Here's you scrubs and lab coat. Welcome!" Janet said happily. Melody was a bit taken back.

"I'm- I'm starting now?" she asked confused, Janet smiled.

"Well of course, I'll show you around, we'll help a few pets and then you'll be all on your own."

"I-Oh. Okay." Melody said as she followed Janet through a door...

"I'll see you tomorrow!" Denise Disher said as Melody was locking up. Denise was Janet's grand-daughter and also Melody's new friend.

"Bye!" Melody yelled before she walked towards her Jeep. Starting the engine up she seen that her tank was about out, from Carter to the city it'd probably cost twenty dollars every other day. So she wasn't saving much but it was some. She drove to the gas station to fill her tank up and went inside to pay when she finished. As she came back out she saw a familiar truck parked behind her's. Taking in a deep breath she walked towards her Jeep and saw John standing there leaning against his truck.

John stood up straight when he saw her. "Are you hungry?" he asked.

"Depends. Why you asking?" she asked trying to read him.

"I wanted to get to know you."

"Why?"

"Twenty dollars a night for a room is pretty expensive and me being a Sheriff, I don't just go and let strangers stay at my house." he said; Melody smiled.

"Well if you're buying then yes I'm starving." she answered.

"Then get in. Harley won't care if you leave your Jeep here." he said; she didn't need to be told twice as she hurried to grab her purse and get into John's truck.