Status: We Owned the Night

Never Falling (John's Story)

Diner

Melody sat down in the booth across from John at the diner called 'Red's Diner' apperantly the owners late name was Red. She still hasn't done much exploring but from what she saw she was kind of liking, it was nothing like the city. Her eyes wandered around the diner and old pictures were hung up all over the walls. It wasn't too busy in the diner most likely the usual business.

"Hi! I'm Chelsie!" a young blonde said looking at Melody. She wore black pants and a white buttoned shirt and she had a small apron wrapped around her waist where she pulled out a pad of paper and a pen. "Tea for you, and what can I get for you?"

"Oh I'll take just a water." Melody answered before looking back at the menu.

"Would you like a lemon?" she asked bubbily.

"Oh, uh sure." Melody said not looking up.

"Are you the new vet everyone keeps talkin' 'bout?" Chelsie asked.

"Yup, Melody Grace."

"Well welcome!" she said before walking off to retrieve the drinks. Melody looked over the menu and her eyes would slowly look up to see what John was doing, each time she'd find herself meeting his eyes. He didn't need the menu since he ate at the diner twice or three times a week there, so he'd try looking around the diner but always landed back on Melody. Taking in her looks but it wasn't easy with the menu in the way. He never had troubles reading people but she, for some reason was.

"Alright here's your tea, and water for you. So usual for you?" Chelsie asked once she came back.

"Yeah." John replied.

"And for you?" Chelsie asked looking at Melody.

"I'll just take the chicken basket." she answered handing the menu to her.

"Alright!" Chelsie walked away leaving them alone.

"So how did the first day go?" John asked trying to come up with something.

"It was alright, Denise was easy to get along with. And Janet hired me in...before even really interveiwing me. She said I'd do great here in Carter."

"Janet is usually a good judge on people." he said obviously still unsure if she was here to cause some trouble.

"Usually? Look I'm not here to mess this town up. I'm fresh out of college and just trying to make a living, as it is I'm already going to have to spend most of my pay check on gas from going to city to work then back to the city every frickin day. I'd really appericate if you'd stop being a jerk to me!" Melody snapped in a low voice so no one would hear.

"Hey calm down sunshine! I wasn't meaning anything bad, I was just stating she normally knows what she's doing so if you ran into her again you'd know to trust anything she says."

"Sunshine?"

"What do you mean you'll be spending most of your money on gas?" he asked ignoring her.

"I'm not spending every night at some strange hotel when I could go back home and get free food and any other needs."

"How old are you?"

"You're not supposed to ask women that." Melody stated as she took a drink of her water.

"28?"

"28! Do I look that old?"

"I'm going to say 21 since I'm 18." Chelsie said sitting down their orders. John had a cheese burger and fries.

"Least you're a good judge." Melody said with a smile, she smiled back and then walked away.

"You're 21 and a vet? I thought it took like eight years or something to make it?"

"I graduated high school at 16 and quickly went into college. I spent my childhood reading and studying. No I don't regret it because now I have a job and I can play around now. Besides being an only child I didn't feel like play pretend or hide and seek with my imginary friend."

"Understandable. Parents proud?"