Status: We Owned the Night

Never Falling (John's Story)

Dinner

"You could say that. They kind of expected it, my mother was a college professor for English majors and my father is a car mechanic and really great with math so I learned a lot as a child and picked up Sciences on my own. If it wasn't for the kitten I saved from a tree when I was 9 I'd probably be working in some auto shop. My dad kind of hoped I'd follow him, truthfully I hate working on vehicles but I do love changing the oil." Melody said as her eyes lit up at the end.

"So does that mean you're close with your parents?" John asked before taking a drink of his tea.

"I am, 'cept they're very protective of me. My mother tried everything to get me to apply in the city and stay close to them. This would be my first time out on my own. What about your parents?"

"I think the are in Sydney, Australia. They've been traveling around a lot, supposedly they'll be coming back in a couple of weeks to see everyone and then leave to go some other country. They really haven't been in my life in about five years now." he replied.

"What about as a child? I mean you don't seem to angry about that."

"They were there for Jake and I as much as they could be, then my grandfather passed away when we were 24 and by then we were almost through college and looking for our own places to live. I got the ranch while my parents helped Jake find a place in the city and soon they started planning their retirement."

"Why did you get the ranch? That seems a little unfair."

"Jake wanted to move to the city, he didn't want all the responsibility that came with the ranch. How exactly were you planning on saving for a place to move into if you were going to either be driving back and forth to Raven and here or staying at a motel?"

"It's complicated and I hadn't put much thought into it. My parents already said they'd help me pay and get a place, but I couldn't bring myself to ask. So how old are you?"

"Probably too old to be hanging around you." he said making her scoff.

"Imma say 38." she said knowing he wasn't that old yet.

John glared at her and returned her scoff noise. "I'm 31."

"Ohh, I was close. So you have a girlfriend?" Melody asked a little hopeful.

"It's complicated, so I guess not really. Why?"

"Well you're 31, and you look like that. What are you, rude with the ladies?" she asked getting as personal as she could.

"Look like what? And no I'm not rude, it's just when you know the majority of women around here and their history it kind of ruins things."

"Then why not go to Raven and find someone? Well only a blind person couldn't see you're hot."

"Well I haven't been looking, and if you think I'm hot what are you getting at?"

"Oh I ain't getting at anything yet. I don't make my moves till I'm on a date. And this clearly is business only, so did I pass your trust test?" Melody asked just as Chelsie came over to clear their now empty plates.

"Is this on one check or separate?" she asked cheerfully.

"One." John answered handing her his card. After Chelsie walked away, then did he answer. "I suppose I'm warming up to you. What about you, you seeing someone?"

"You kidding? I haven't had time to hook up with some dude in the past 21 years of my life. Now don't get me wrong, I've had guys ask me out and I'd just kindly turn them down, I had better shiz to do then get heart broken over some guy."

"How do you know you'd get heart broken?"

"Immature college guys, always the heart breakers in the end which is why I am looking for a more matured older man." Melody said before winking at him, his eyes darkened which caused her to laugh. "You need to loosen up chief, but it's getting late and I have to head into Raven. Thanks for dinner!" she said slipping out of the booth to stretch.

"But I drove you here?" he said confused.

"It's just a block away, I don't mind walking."

"I'm not having you walking when I brought you here, and besides, Cara was right I have four bedrooms which is plenty enough room for you to stay about a month." John said, she eyed him suspiciously.

"What's the catch?"

"You buy you're own food, and help me around the ranch."

"You're not scared I'll sneak into your room and rape you?" she asked with a serious expression, he grinned.

"You can't rape the willing."