Status: We Owned the Night

Never Falling (John's Story)

The Kiss

Melody was sleeping on the couch with Babe Magnet sleeping on her stomach by time John got home from work. One of her arms draped over her eyes and the other one hung off the couch with the hand resting on Duchess who was out as well, he couldn't help but smile at the view. He thought about carrying her up to her room, but first he had to take care of the problem which was probably lying naked on his bed. Groaning he wiped his face with his hands before heading upstairs. He reached his room and threw open the door and sure enough he was right. She was fast asleep as well, he had come home to this quite a few times.

"Michelle wake up." Johns rough voice spoke harshly. She made little moaning sounds before rolling onto her back and smiled at him.

"Hey baby." she said stretching her arms out towards him trying to get him to come to her.

John grew up with Michelle living next door to him, Jake didn't even care for her as a kid. She lived with her mother while her father lived in Raven with her sister Denise. Her mother had a new boyfriend every other weekend, by time Michelle was 16 her mother finally settled down and in the end left behind Michelle forcing her to go live with her grandmother. At 18 she left John behind to join the Army, her and John dated all through out high school. He thought thing were going good for them their senior year, he even thought she'd say yes when he asked for her to marry him. She said she wanted to find what more was out there...he didn't see her for about five years when she came back to say she bought an apartment in Raven and she is still full time soldier. Just when he thought he was going to get her to come back to him, she said she wasn't looking for a relationship just a good time between the sheets. He just couldn't say no, and for some reason she was the only woman who could put up with his constant mood swings or rude remarks.

Now at 31 he was ready to settle down, find himself a wife and have a few kids before he gets too old. Michelle was clear about what she wanted and none of that was it, a few months after his brother got married to Cara he told Michelle she either needed to stay away from him or say yes to his proposal. So far neither were getting through her thick skull and she was really starting to ruin things, he has had three dates ruined because somehow she just happened to be back from where ever she was stationed at the time and interrupted his dates. Normally he'd end up between the sheets with her, but with Melody being here that was the last thing he wanted to do.

"Get dressed." he growled as he picked up her clothes and tossed them at her.

"Rough day?" she asked with pouty lips.

"No, I just don't feel like having you here with Melody downstairs." he said as he loosened his tie, Michelle stood up wiggling her hips as she pulled up her jeans.

"You really like bringing in stray dogs don't cha?"

"She isn't a stray, she has taken over your grandmother's spot and she needed a place to stay until she found a place."

"Let me guess she batted her pretty little eyelashes up at you begging to stay here for cheap and you just couldn't say no to her cute little face right?"

"No I gave her the option, and she figured it'd be cheaper than driving between Raven and here everyday."

"Right. Well fine, I'll leave. But don't expect me to come back!" she growled. He knew she'd come back, she always did.

"Okay, I'll lead you to the door." he answered making her gasp in shock...even though she wasn't really affected at all.

"I'll be fine on my own thank you." she snapped before storming into the hallway; he followed closely behind her. She had slammed the door behind her when she left and she heard and huff followed by a thud.

Walking into the living room he found Melody sitting on the floor with a confused look and Babe Magnet was sitting at the end of the couch looking angry. Duchess really didn't have a care in the world that she had just been used as a landing mat for Melody. They probably weighed the same amount anyways.

"Well no need to slam the door." she said with a glare.

"I didn't, Michelle did. You okay?" John asked walking up to her to help pull her to her feet as he held out his hand.

She hesitated before placing her hand into his and gasped as he lifted her like it was nothing. Once she was standing her hand still remained in his causing her to cock her head to the side and look into his eyes. "For a cop your hand seems smooth."

"Well what'd you expect?" he asked lifting his head more but keep his eyes lined with hers.

"Rough, I guess I just expect all guys to have rough hands. Then again my father is a mechanic and my uncle was in construction." she said making him laugh; and at the second she realized he really didn't laugh or smile but when he did he looked so much younger, cuter. Maybe that's why she stood on her tippy toes and leaned forward to kiss him. She closed her eyes when she made contact with his lips, she didn't feel fireworks like the books she read said that happened. That was until she felt him accept her kiss and return it as his free hand came to the back of her head to hold her closer. Then is when she felt the fireworks, and the butterflies in her stomach came alive. It was a short, sweet, simple kiss but it was also her first, she was now kind of scared to open her eyes as she pulled away.

"Are you always so straight forward?" John questioned as he still had her close to him not letting her pull too far away.

Melody opened her eyes slowly. "Only when I want something." she said on a whisper, John groaned before pulling her back to his lips.