Status: Active

Going Through The Motions

Break The Law

By age fifteen, Brian Haner and Zack Baker had become quite close. It was rare to see one without the other.
Zack was still shorter than most of the other kids, and he was still rather shy. Brian, on the other hand, was loud, and boisterous. The two were complete opposites, in most aspects, and really shouldn’t have gotten along so well. They had their fights, like all friends, but they always made up before a new day came.

Not only had the two gotten close; they’d also found their love of mischief together. If there was a fight in school, you could bet your life’s savings that Brian and Zack were there.
They didn’t start fights often, but they always found themselves in, or around, one.
Fighting was only the beginning, though. Brian felt the need to do something bad constantly. He wasn’t a naughty kid, by any means; he just felt like he had to do something. Even as a teen, he looked quite innocent. He needed to change that.
Zack was more of a follower; he always had been. So, when Brian suggested they break into one of their classmate’s houses, Zack followed along, only voicing his concern once. Brian was able to sweet talk Zack into anything, even if Zack was being logical.

Early one evening, after a particularly nice dinner at the Baker’s house, Brian and Zack slipped out of the bedroom window; dressed in all black. They both wore gloves, and beanies, just in case.
The school was holding a dance that night. Most of the students were attending, and a few parents had volunteered to chaperone. Mason Griggs’ parents had been one of the few.
Mason was the captain of the football team, and a straight A student. He worked for nothing, but gained perfect grades. That annoyed Brian, because he worked and studied for hours on end, but still could only reach a B minus, at best.
The Griggs’ only lived a short walk from Zack; in a nice, large house. Mr. and Mrs. Griggs had two children; Mason and Meredith. The picture perfect family. Both children were straight A students, and both were on a sports team. Meredith was the vice captain of the netball team.
The lights were on in the house, but Brian knew no-one was home. The two scaled the back fence; Zack needing a little help at first.
The backyard was like Brian had expected; perfect. A shed sat in the corner; the wood polished, and shining, like someone had just painted it. The lawn was immaculate, and luscious green. A swing set was placed in the middle of the lawn, near a small sand pit.
Zack walked close to Brian as the crept around the house; checking in each window they passed. Zack’s heart was beating fast, and a small voice in his head told him that this was wrong. He tried to ignore it. Brian had said everything would be fine; so it was okay.
Brian found a large window on the opposite side of the house. It was unlocked, and slightly open. He assumed the room belonged to Mason, as the walls were covered in naked girls on bikes.
With gloved hands, Brian pried the window open, cringing slightly as a dull squeak came from the tracks. The window was only a few feet from the ground, so Zack was able to climb through the window easily. Even though he was wearing gloves, Zack was hesitant to touch anything. Brian, on the other hand, touched everything he could. He moved things around, and crumpled the bed sheets. Zack just stood back; watching.
Brian soon got bored of Mason’s room, having found his porn stash, and a few hidden joints. They moved on to Meredith’s room, where Brian had a field day. He went through her underwear drawer, and closet, pulling out clothes, and trying them on.
Meredith was a petite girl, so Brian’s larger body stretched her clothes. He managed to tear one of her shirts as he was pulling it on. Zack, in spite of himself, laughed.

Together, the two explored the Griggs’ house; entering each room. Brian moved things around, his inner bad-boy feeling satisfied. Zack, who had lightened up a little, started moving things, too.
Their fun was cut short, though, as a pair of headlights was seen through the living room curtains. Zack froze up, his heart hammering. Brian managed to keep calm, and pulled Zack through the house, back into Mason’s room.

‘Go!’ He whispered to Zack as he shut the bedroom door. Zack all but fell from the window, his limbs still in a frozen state. Brian dived from the window after Zack, closing it after he’d stood.
The two climbed a neighbours’ fence, and ran all the way back to Zack’s house; slipping in the window.
Zack swore to himself that he would never follow Brian in something like this again as he lay down in his bed, whispering a “goodnight” to Brian, who was camped out on a blow-up mattress on the floor.

Though Zack had promised not to do anything like that again, he found himself in many other predicaments, each slightly worse than the other.
The final straw came when Brian had had a brilliant idea to “borrow” his mother’s car, and go for a drive. Neither Zack, nor Brian, had a license, and had no idea how to drive. The only experience Brian had been from the time his father had let him move the car from the garage, to the front lawn.
Needless to say, the two were pulled over by a very nice police officer. The woman had taken the two back to Brian’s house. Luckily for them, the woman gave them a warning, rather than reporting them. They hadn’t been speeding, nor doing anything illegal, other than driving without a license.
Zack’s parents came to pick him up, and drove Mrs. Haner to where her car had been left. While she was gone, Brian Sr. punished his son the only way he knew how.

‘Zack has been a bad influence on you, Brian. You were such a good kid,’ he started, pacing in front of Brian, who had been sat on the couch. He’d expected to be beaten, or screamed out. He would have preferred that, actually.
‘Your mother and I have been talking, and we think it’s best for you if we move,’ Brian Sr. said, looking his son dead in the eye.
At first, Brian Jr. was at a loss for words. His father couldn’t be serious.

‘But, Dad! It was my idea; not Zack’s!’ Brian tried to argue, but his father wouldn’t hear it. He was sent to his room, where he called Zack. Sadly, Brian only got his voicemail. He assumed Zack had gotten his phone taken away as punishment.

The next day, Brian was barred from leaving the house. He’d tried sneaking out, but found that his parents were one step ahead.
They spent the day planning, while Brian sulked. He tried to call Zack, but his phone was off, and his parents wouldn’t allow Brian to talk to their son.
By the end of the week, it was settled; the Haner’s were moving to Aurora, Colorado.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two chapters in two days? Who am I, and what have I done with myself?