Selfish

is

December 4th, 2010
Krista fastened the buttons of her jeans and pulled a Columbia University sweatshirt over her small body. She tied her into a messy bun that sat high up on her head. "I'm going! Wish me luck," She yelled out, grabbing the car keys and dashing out the door.

Today, Krista was taking her SAT's, a test that her mother so graciously referred to as the test that would define her life and identity.

Opening the windows as she backed out of her driveway, she shook off the anxiety encroaching into her mind like a slithering snake. "I'll do fine. I just have to relax, and everything will fall into place." She coached herself while she stopped at an intersection.

Finally, she arrived at her school; she signed in and nervously entered the auditorium. All eyes landed on her as she scurried to find her seat. Pushing a stray lock of her hair behind her ear, she rummaged through her bag for her pencils, eraser, graphing calculator, and a stopwatch.

A minute before the clock read eight o'clock, another person ambled into the auditorium. Krista noticed him at once, his cocky demeanor and sun-kissed locks. Mason swiftly maneuvered his way around the auditorium and found his seat. Krista wondered if he could feel her eyes boring into his back. . .

As soon as he turned around, Krista lowered her gaze and contemplated whether she should look back up or not. Slowly lifting her gaze, her light blue orbs locked with his hazel ones. Startled, she gasped subtly and bit down on her lip; he probably thought she was a stalker, she thought.

However, meeting her gaze, Mason only snickered and turned his head back to the front. Krista frowned and pinched her lips together into a tight line. He didn't have to be so rude.
. . . . . . . .

After four dreadful hours, the test finally came to an end; frankly, Krista felt pretty good about it. She didn't run out of time or had to skip that many questions except for a couple. As soon as the proctors announced the test was finished, all the students rose up on their feet and stretched their muscles.

Unraveling her hair from the messy bun, Krista's light chestnut colored hair cascaded down her shoulders. She hung her tote bag over her shoulders and hurried out the auditorium; she secretly wanted to catch up with Mason.

"Hey! Mason!" She called out, dashing toward him and his car. Catching her breath, she ran her fingers through her hair, "How'd you do?"

Mason shrugged and leaned against the hood of his red Jeep. "Mediocre, I guess. Frankly, I don't really care."

"Don't you want to get into a good college?" Krista questioned.

"Maybe, but not all of us are as fortunate as you." He shrugged coolly. "Well, Columbia, it was nice talking to you." He added, opening his car door.

Krista stared at him in confusion, but then realized he was calling her Columbia because of her sweatshirt. "I have a name, you know."

"I know. I'm just not interested." Mason said and got into his car. With a small smirk on his face, he waved a hand at her before driving out of the parking lot.

"What the hell?" Krista breathed aloud, a cloud of white smoke escaping her lips. He wasn't interested? He was quite the cocky little bastard, thinking she had developed an interest for him. She was simply being friendly, that's all.