Selfish

her

The moment Krista entered the house, the party atmosphere engulfed her as whole; the smell of alcohol was intoxicating and the deafening beats of the music blared loudly in her ears. Her face contorted in disgust when she saw a couple in the corner, their lips attached to each other; she was never really fond of PDA.

"That couple should get a room," Chris whispered lowly in her ear, repressing a small chuckle.

"Tell me about it," She muttered, rolling her eyes at the overtly affectionate 'couple.' "I doubt they even know each other's last names."

"Do you want to dance?" He asked, offering a hand out to her.

With a slight hesitation, she nodded and took his hand. Krista followed his lead into the middle of the dance floor, already feeling the temperature rise within her body. After sharing a few dances, she slithered her way out of the swarming throng, in desperate need of some personal space.
The beads of sweat rolling down Chris' forehead, he breathed raggedly, "Do you want to go somewhere quiet?"

"Yes!" She yelled out in relief, letting the cool alcohol spill down her throat.

Krista cautiously followed Chris up the stairs into a vacant bedroom; once Chris shut the door, she was immediately welcomed by a peaceful quiet. "Thank God." She groaned, placing her cup on the nightstand and sprawling out on the bed.
Chris repressed a chuckle, his lips curling up into an amused smile. "Are you alright?"

"I'm just peachy." She breathed out, the alcohol starting to affect her body; she could feel her brain slowing down and her body becoming heavy. A melancholy smile etched across her face as she fluttered her eyes shut, "I feel like shit, Chris." She admitted sheepishly, a small giggle escaping her lips. "Why is life so cruel to me? I mean, what did I do to deserve this? All I did was listen to my mom, try hard in school—"

Krista felt a sudden tingle sailing through her lips, the familiar warmth of a kiss. However, to Krista, it wasn't Chris kissing her; it was Mason. Wrapping her arms around Chris' neck, she pulled him closer to her, hoping to relive the same kiss she shared with Mason. Yet, there were no bursting fireworks above her head or a multitude of shivers down her spine...

She soon felt a pair of hands creeping underneath her shirt, traveling up the soft skin of her stomach. Feeling uncomfortable, Krista tried to pull away from the kiss but the more she tried to fight, the more Chris pressed his weight onto her. He bit down roughly on her lower lip as his fleshy hands tugged at the straps of her bra.

"Chris," Krista groaned loudly, trying to push him off of her. "I don't want to do this."

"Don't be such a prude, Krista. We were just getting started." He rasped into her ear as he tried to unbutton her jeans. He sucked on the flesh of her neck and traveled down her jaw line to her collarbone. "You're so fucking sexy." He groaned, his hands squeezing her voluptuous breasts.

"Get the hell away from me!" She screeched loudly, thrusting her knee precisely at his prized jewels. "I'm not drunk enough to have sex with you, Chris."

"You're such a fucking tease, Krista. I bet you had no problem giving it up for Mason." Chris gritted through his teeth, the pain in his hardened limb too much to bear.

"You don't know what you're talking about." She said, trying to brush off the subject. Her gaze had softened at the mention of his name, her heart plummeting just by the very thought of him.

"Why do you even like that ailing bastard? He can't give you what you want, and he knows it. He'd be selfish to stick around with you." He wheezed, not a speck of sympathy reflected in his cold, shiny eyes.

"You're pathetic. Get over yourself." Krista hissed angrily, rolling her eyes back in her sockets. As she stood up on her feet and walked toward the door, Chris' next words hit her like a ton of bricks, a heavy blow to her heart. It was as if she had the wind knocked out of her and was knocked off her feet.

"He has cancer, Krista. He's dying."

"You're lying!" She hollered, turning around to meet his gaze. Filled with rage, she aimed her balled fists at his chest, punching him as hard as she could. "You're lying, and you know it! WHY ARE YOU LYING?!"

He coiled his fingers around her fragile wrists, gripping on to them tightly. With fiery eyes, he bellowed back, "YOU CAN DENY IT ALL YOU WANT, BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY, HE'S GOING TO BE DEAD. Why do you think he's been missing school? Because of the few bruises and cuts I gave him?"

"You did that?" Krista gasped, her piercing oceanic spheres now drowning in tears. "H-how could you do that? And you knew he was sick?!"

"I was trying to protect you, Krista." Chris reasoned, releasing his grip on her wrists and trying to pull her into his arms. "I didn't want you to get hurt."

"So you beat him up when you knew he was already in pain? What kind of sick person does that?" She said, pushing Chris away from her as hot, angry tears scorched down her face. "I hate you."

"Krista, would you just—"
"I hope you rot in hell."
Krista hastened down the stairs and jostled through the suffocating crowd that enveloped her. What seemed like an endless fight, she finally made it outside, the cold December night's breeze whisking past her hair. White smoke escaped her lips when she breathed out, the cold sending chills down her spine. She was in such a hurry, she had forgotten her jacket inside, but she had no intention of going back inside.
Wrapping her arms around herself, Krista's body quavered greatly, her usual pink lips now a ghastly blue. Mindlessly, she took out her phone and texted the first person she could think of, Mason.

'I know I might be the last person you want to talk to right now, but I could really use a ride back home… standing in the cold by myself.' She pressed the send button, her hands trembling harder than ever.

She walked down the lonely sidewalks, only the night's hushed airs and bright, silvery moon companying her. Her fingers gripped around the circumference of her phone tightly, waiting for a reply. "C'mon, reply back." She mumbled lowly to herself, slowly sitting herself on the edge of the sidewalk.

When her phone finally vibrated, she sluggishly pried her fingers off of her phone and skimmed through the text: 'Where are you?'

Krista's lips curved into a small, numb smile, and she texted back, 'I'm on Prescott Street.'