This Vegas Sky Is Tainted

X

Steph’s POV

Making my way back down the corridor to the DNA lab i hit a couple of distractions. I bumped into Greg who asked if any more evidence had been processed i informed him that it would be a good hour or two for the rest yet and he nodded disappearing at a rather quick speed down the corridor. As i continued my stroll down the corridor just passed Grissom’s office and almost at the DNA lab i heard a throat clear behind me.

I stopped and turned on my heel to see who was there to be greeted by Ecklie’s face. He stood there in silence for a few second’s arms folded and a stern look upon his face. I decided to wait for him to speak first not yet knowing why he had wanted to get my attention.

“Why is there a child in the break room? You know i don’t like children in the labs unless they are in a freezer in the morgue.”

“he’s only here cause there’s a big case tonight and all the CSI’s were required in. I’m in the labs though and I’m keeping an eye on him. He’s harmless.”

“I don’t care if he’s harmless he shouldn’t be here in the first place. If you can’t commit to work because of a child then you shouldn’t be here at all.”

“hang on a minute. You were informed about this happening on rare occasions anyway. Why have you suddenly changed your opinion?”

“I don’t recall this conversation?”

“well i damn well do you sat there and agreed with it as Grissom spoke to you about it in-front of the sheriff to i believe. Is it suddenly because the sheriff isn’t here that you are changing your view? Just because you want his job instead.”

“That was out of line.”

“So was your change of your tune and speaking to me about it without Gil been here as well.”

Ecklie didn’t retaliate this time instead he stepped closer to me. The veins on his forehead now looked like they were ready to burst from his skin as he clenched his jaw shut. I felt slightly vulnerable now unsure of what he was about to do but i stood there standing my ground. I glanced down to see Ecklie clench his fists and i hoped he was just going to turn and storm away. Instead though he stepped closer to me again. I had to admit i was pretty nervous now but i hid that and as Ecklie started to swing his hand out something came over me. Before i knew what i was doing my fist had connected with Ecklie’s jaw. I watched him stumble back a couple of steps blood already trickling from a split lip.

I expected him to just back down now but instead he was quick on his feet as he somewhat charged at me. Within second’s i was forced backwards. My spine and head connected with the wall with some force as Ecklie pinned my hands beside my waist, probably making sure i didn’t hit him in the face again. Ecklie’s face was no inches from my own as i made eye connect with him determined to fight still. His grip dug into my wrists as pain started to pulsate through them but i pushed it to the back of my mind.

Ecklie’s moved his head so it was beside my ear.

“You ever speak to me in that way again and you won’t know what has hit you. You won’t tell a soul about this either else you will regret stepping foot into work on your next shift. You grave shift always think your better than me.”

His voice was a more of a growl than anything as he spoke through clenched teeth. As he leant back again his pulled me back from the wall before slamming me into again. This time the force was that strong that it forced me to bite my tongue. I felt blood fill in my mouth as i also heard footsteps near. It wasn’t until the footsteps were nearer that Ecklie heard them and he let go of my arms jumping back in surprise. Clearly he wasn’t going to get out of this one lightly.

Now i had been released from his grip i allowed myself to slide down the wall into a sitting position. I pulled some tissue from my pocket finally opening my mouth to have blood start running into the tissue. My wrists were aching as i held the tissue to my jaw in order to catch all the blood.

I watched nick pull Ecklie back further away from me Grissom watching him for the moment. Nick didn’t keep hold of Ecklie though instead he let him go and turned to me. Ecklie didn’t move though he knew it wasn’t worth trying he just stood there his face still full of anger even though he was silent.

Nick knelt down in-front of me. I looked up into his concerned face feeling blood still trickle from my mouth the bitter taste of metal present. Nick’s hand raised taking the tissue from me. I was thankful as i gently rested my wrists against my leg. I could feel my body shaking but i tried to fight it off.

“Why are you physically harassing My staff?”

“I...she......it was defence.”

“That didn’t look like defence to me”

“She hit me, i have the bloody lip to prove it.”

I watched Ecklie turn to Grissom pointing at the bloody lip on his face. I decided now was when i had to speak up for myself.

“That’s lies. I hit you in defence as you started coming towards me. I feared for what you were going to. Seems i had a right mind to.”

I watched Ecklie grit his teeth staring at me with pure hate. It was then that Warrick appeared in the corridor no doubt he was looking for one of us. He walked over standing beside Grissom just watching on a confused expression etched on his face at the moment. I watched him glance down at me a bloody tissue held to my mouth and Ecklie and his bloody lip seeming to put pieces together somewhat. It was then out of the blue that Ecklie went to take a run at me again. I dived towards nick almost for protection as Ecklie’s voice echoed through the corridor.

“You bitch you wait until you get sacked for this.”

Warrick however was quick to attack and as i glanced up slightly i watched him dive at Ecklie tackling him to the floor with ease. I was shaking a little worse now as Nick pulled me into his chest his spare hand still dabbing the tissue to my mouth at the occasional trickle of blood. I felt his lips against my hair as he tried his best to comfort me. Whilst he did this he mist of spotted the marks on my wrists because he gently took my forearm into his hand pulling it into the light a bit more.

“What did he do to you? What exactly happened?”

I looked up to see Grissom had by now headed closer to us as he to knelt down taking in the bruises forming on my wrists.

“He confronted me about Brandon been in the break room. We argued about tit then he came for me i panicked and as a defence punched him in the lip. He grabbed me and pushed me into the wall then holding my wrists. He threatened me then pushed me into the wall harder. That’s when you guys turned up.”

Nick placed his hand on the back of my head and winced back in pain. He quickly moved his hand away.

“Your head connect with the wall?”

“yeah, my back to. I will be fine though.”

I watched Grissom take both my arms into his hands inspecting each of the bruises before letting go. Grissom stood up just as Catherine walked into the corridor. She was quickly turned around as she was sent to fetch captain brass, both of whom quickly returned. Brass didn’t hesitate in handcuffing Ecklie and moving him down to an interrogation room out of harms way. As Lottie and greg arrived both were updated on what had happened before they made a turn into the break room instead taking care of Brandon who had no doubt been awoke by the argument.

“We’re all behind you, we know you wouldn’t hit him unprovoked however much some wish they could at times. This will be cleared up quickly I’m certain don’t worry.”

I smiled slightly thanking Brass as i slowly raised myself to my feet. Nick was quick to put his arm around my waist as i informed him i was going to head to the bathroom. He decided that he didn’t care and he would come in with me not seeming to care about the other women that use the bathroom. In the bathroom i ran my wrists under cool water it would help the bruises show quicker meaning they would start to heal and disappear a little quicker to. I also swilled my both out trying to get rid of the taste of blood now that my tongue had finally stopped bleeding.

As we stepped out and i headed into the break room Catherine had gone into mum mode brandishing a bag of ice at me for my head. I winced slightly as it was placed against my head, Nick kindly holding it in place as i rested against his shoulder. A second ice pack was quickly pressed against my back making me jump slightly.

“That’s flippen cold!!”

“it’s a bag of ice, what else is it going to be.”

As i wriggled a little at the shock of the cold i could see Brandon sat somewhat giggling on the sofa as Lottie shook her head at me. After an hour though i was feeling a lot better and was happy to take Brandon back into the lab and continue working away as he sat with a pair of gloves on happily following what i did but using swabs from me, him and Mandy instead.