Status: Comment+Subscribes= <3 :)

Waste Away With Me

Broken

I woke up early that morning, something I rarely ever did, and to my surprise the house was silent. My brother wasn’t snoring in the next room like usual, my parents weren’t fighting either. My eyes went to my bedroom window, to my surprise it was light out. I guessed it to be around dawn because everything outside had a strange orange-ish tint to it like it always does when the sun very first starts to wake up and stretch its light.

I was too awake to attempt going back to sleep so I slipped out of the bed, careful not to wake my sister, and slipped my feet into my slippers. Which is when it hit me, my sister wasn’t there. I felt around the room but never felt her, I screamed and expected someone to come my aid. Not a single sound could be heard in the house, it was so quiet that I could hear a mouse squeak in the closet.

I tiptoed into the kitchen, my father sat at the table with his head down. His arm stretched across the homemade table to a cheap bottle of liquor. The screen door was still open, giving you a peak of where I lived in the slums of Phoenix, Arizona. I pulled the bottle out of my father’s hand and dumped it in the sink; he’d thank me later when he sobered up and realized I was just trying to keep him on the path of sobriety he’s been running down for the past two months. He’d only strayed twice, this time makes three.

I threw the glass bottle in the trash can and opened the kitchen window to let some cool air in this stuffy house before the sun came up and the blistering heat came. I immediately began cooking breakfast, knowing daddy would be up no later than 7:00. I listened for the sound of my mother rolling out of bed, or my little sister rolling around in her cradle.

“Lana,” My dad called my name in his sleep, “Lana Leaf Lee, don’t you let that mother of yours leave me.”

I turned to him and his fingers were twitching, “Don’t let her take the baby!” It was then I knew that my mother had abandoned us again. This time, as always, she took the twins Jake and Jane but he left baby Olive here because she was so much ‘trouble’ to take care of her. She left me here because well, me and my mother have never exactly gotten along.

I walked into the master bedroom where the crib was, Olive slept soundly with her bottle at her side. I found myself staring down at her perfect little face and I hated my mother for leaving her more than leaving me and daddy.

Later that day I sat on the couch with Olive in my arms, dad sat at the kitchen table and he stared at me for a long time. I was scared to know what he was thinking, but I knew it had something to do with mom leaving us.

“Lana, I’m sorry that this had to happen.” He whispers finally, I sigh.

“Daddy, it’s not your fault.”

He becomes silent again, we sit in silence for a little over an hour before he announces that he was making a run for liquor store. I mentioned him trying to stay sober, he told me that it wasn’t worth it. I didn’t even mention that it was my 17th birthday at all that day, later that night I blew out a candle on my nightstand and tried to make a wish but it seemed too hopeless to even try.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope it's good!