My Apologies.

I'm sorry we're not the 1%.

Dear Future Child,

There are so many things I would like to apologize for. Firstly, I am sorry you were not given the best possible healthcare from the start. I wish I could tell you that you were born in a country that believes all humans are deserving of the same level of medical care, but it’s not true. You live in a country where money buys the best care. You live in a country where some people think a mother who needs assistance should simply starve and become homeless. Those same people believe the child should either suffer with her or be forcibly removed from her care and pushed into an overcrowded adoption system that they tell themselves is in a perfect state.

I am sorry that when you start school they will create false hope in you and tell you that you can do anything. While you may be capable of your dreams, depending on what those dreams are, others may prevent you from achieving them. You may have a four point oh GPA, but the government many deny you assistance to go to college by factoring in the income of parents that may not pay for your college.

I am sorry that the government of this country does not care about you and only cares about keeping corporations happy. I’m sorry that instead of creating products that will help preserve our environment, that cost less to make, that create new jobs, and that are better for you, the government decides to keep the corporations lining it’s pockets happy by using their inferior products instead.

I am sorry that when people get fed up and protest, the police will tear gas them or shoot them with rubber bullets or kick pregnant women in the stomach. I’m sorry that freed of speech and assembly are jokes in a country that only exists because outraged citizens defied an unjust government. I am sorry you live in a country that lies and refers to itself as a democracy.

I am sorry that you can never be president because your mother has a mental disorder and was falsely imprisoned for a crime she did not commit. I am sorry I don’t have the money to make that irrelevant, like a former president with a coke habit, a literacy problem, and a C average.

I am sorry that if you love someone of the same gender that you only have a few options if you would like to be married or adopt. Once upon a time, Mommy was engaged to a girl and college choices were based on what states had legalized same-sex marriage. I am sorry that you will be judged based on your sexual preference in situations where it should be the last thing on someone’s mind.

I am sorry that society will judge you based on the morals that I will instill in you. Those morals will be to treat people the way they deserve to be treated. You will understand not to discriminate against people based on things beyond their control and you will understand not to pick on the gay kid or the kid on welfare at school. But I am not sorry that I am instilling these morals in you. One day the rest of society will catch up and you will be better off than them because you will already have the morals they’ll try to convince people to accept.

One day things will get better. I hope this letter is wrong and life is better for you, but I’m not holding my breath. We’ll get through somehow.

I love you.

Love,
Mommy