‹ Prequel: Show Me
Status: Complete.

Devastation

One

One

‘Abs?’ Kate’s voice echoed through their apartment. ‘What’ve you done with my sweater?’

She’d picked out a sweater to wear and left it on the bed, ready to put on, and it wasn’t there. Only one person would have any reason to steal her sweater: Abby Sciuto.

‘This one?’ Abby stuck her head round the bedroom door, holding up the sweater in question.

‘Yeah, that one,’ Kate nodded, taking it from her girlfriend and pulling it over her head.

‘You looked better without it,’ Abby said, playfully.

Kate grinned. ‘Be that as it may, Abs, I think Gibbs would prefer it if I wore a shirt.’

‘Are you sure about that?’ Abby smiled, the tiniest hint of jealousy in her voice. ‘I’ve seen the way he looks at you sometimes.’

Kate raised an eyebrow, looking sceptical. ‘Well he’ll just have to live with the fact that I’d much rather have you,’ she said, taking Abby’s hands in hers. ‘And don’t you forget that.’

Before Abby could reply, Kate kissed her softly. Abby’s hands itched to cup Kate’s face and hold the other woman to her but she couldn’t move them from Kate’s grip. Kate pulled away with a chuckle.

‘Come on, Abs. We gotta go,’ she said. ‘No matter how much he likes me Gibbs will still kill me if we’re much longer.’

They’d only come back to the apartment to change. Both of them had slept at the Navy Yard that night, Abby on the futon in her lab and Kate on the floor behind her desk. Their case was manic, barely giving them a moment to breathe. Ari Haswari was back and apparently intent on killing Gibbs.

She let the Goth’s hands go and stepped into her pumps, shrugged on her jacket and reached for her keys.

‘You ready?’ Abby grabbed her purse.

‘Yep,’ she nodded. ‘Let’s go.’

-x-

‘I’ll see you later, Abs,’ Kate said as the elevator reached Abby’s lab.

Abby bent her head a little to kiss Kate, holding her lips against the brunette’s longer than she usually did. She had a bad feeling about something - and Abby’s bad feelings normally turned out to be right.

‘Be safe,’ she whispered against Kate’s lips.

Kate ducked her head, pulling away from Abby and then looking up into her emerald eyes. ‘I promise,’ she said. ‘I love you, Abs.’

‘I love you too. Just be safe, okay?’

Kate nodded. ‘I’ll come home tonight, I promise.’

Abby smiled a little nervously but stepped out of the elevator, waving goodbye.

-x-

Hours later, Abby was pacing her lab nervously, waiting for Major Mass Spec to do his work. Android Lust was blaring in the background. She still had a bad feeling, especially after the dream she’d had the night before. The image of Tony’s bloody face still haunted her mind, but she had done her best to fight it off.

Meanwhile, Ari Haswari’s finger tightened on the trigger. The sound of the gunshot echoed across the rooftops as a single bullet cut a deadly path through the air, flying straight and true towards its target.

‘Wow,’ Kate was saying. 'I thought I’d die before I ever heard a com-’

The bullet struck its mark and Kate’s words died on her lips as her world went black.