Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Heart... In Pieces

One

My college graduation had just passed.
Things have changed since I left Virginia back in ’07 for school. Cam graduated from Columbia and is working at a law firm not too far from the city, Mika is travelling with his band who might land a record deal, Layla and I still live together but she’s been in quite a lot of shows and I’m certain she will be in for Broadway soon, and Justin and I lost touch sort of. We talk now and again but it’s different. It feels as if our friendship never existed sometimes because everyday I go through he’s not there like he once was…

I went through a number of guys, none who seemed to meet my list. I guess you can say I pick guys apart because I want certain qualities in a man. If they don’t meet them I can promise you, they will get on my nerves. So I am staying out of the dating game for a while and focusing on that interview I have lined up.

“We need more milk!” Layla whined. It was one in the afternoon and she just got up.

“Go get some!” I yelled and she came skipping in and sat on my lap.

“Ava,” She said in a sing song voice, “Will you be the bestest friend ever?” She asked me.

I rolled my eyes at her, “Fine, but I’m so borrowing that skirt you just got from H&M!” I said pushing her off and she smiled in delight cause she got her way.

But as I walked the busy streets of New York City to go to the small store two blocks from our house I felt a bit out of place. I always felt like I didn’t belong in this fast paced place. New York City was another world. If you can’t handle it, they eat you up and spit you out. Some say New York changes you… I’m the same.

When I got to the small store and got the milk, my phone buzzed in my butt pocket and when I pulled it out I saw a picture of my mom, I took it on Christmas.

“Hey mommy,” I said holding the phone to my ear with my shoulder as I leaned down to get the milk.

“Honey, you might have to come home a bit early.” She stated.

“I’m coming home fourth of July,” I said to her.

“No, something hap-happened.”

She sounded like she was a bit nervous.

“What’s going on?” I said standing up straight with the milk in hand.

“It’s Deb,” She said in a whispered tone.

“What’s wrong with Deb?” I asked her.

“Her cancer is getting bad and I don't know how much longer...” My mother sounded sad.

My mind raced and I couldn’t even gather my thoughts to make a complete sentence.

“No.” I said and I dropped the milk, hung up on my mom, and ran all the way back to our apartment. My lungs were on fire by the time I got back and outside the door I put my hands on my knees and bent over to catch my breath. When I finally entered Layla just looked at me as if I had five heads and then her face got a bit sad when she saw I was empty handed.

“I need to go home,” I told her as I raced to my bedroom to start packing a bag.
♠ ♠ ♠
WOOHOO!!!! SHORT & SWEET!
<3

- Madd